Childrens current account with card

I have a financially precocious 7-year-old child. They receive £2 a week pocket money, plus money from birthday or other gifts. I look after the money for them, but they know at any time exactly how much money they currently have! It's never a huge amount, but at present is over £60.

They have a junior savings account with Halifax, which is used intermittently, but I'd like them to have a proper current account with a card. Mainly so they can get used to their money being in the bank, rather than 'bank of Mum and Dad', and so they can get used to having a cash card to withdraw sums as needed, or even use the card in shops. All will, of course, be supervised - we will look after the card for them.

It seems that few, if any, banks allow such a current account with card for under 11-year-olds. I've seen the Santander Mini 1-2-3 account allows you to open the account in trust for an under-11 - can anyone confirm that in this case, you do still get the card to use?

I could also open another account in my name, and make that 'their' card. But I'd really rather it was specifically their own account.

Or are there any other suggestions/recommendations?

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    There's something called go Henry that gives kids a card but think there is a montly fee for that.

7 is probably a little young, think most banks will allow a current account from aged 11-13 but has to be jointly held with parents until they are 18
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Go Henry is good. But remember its plus 50 pence per top up.

However the service is pretty good and card does most stuff a proper debit card can.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    why a current account why not eg a savings account with a card such as ybs cashcard. it has an atm card and online banking.
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Barclays will do it. They even do contactless for kids.

Not for 7 year olds. Minimum age is 11
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • alan_d
    alan_d Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I use Go Henry for my 3 kids. Works well, and the features, restrictions and tasks the app provides are worth the fees in my opinion.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Nationwide offer their Smart account (with ATM card) from 7+
  • SPalin wrote: »
    Nationwide offer their Smart account (with ATM card) from 7+

This is a savings account, not a current account
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    !!! wrote: »
    This is a savings account, not a current account

Yeah, but a 7 year old surely isn't going to need to set up STOs or DDs?
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    Yeah, but a 7 year old surely isn't going to need to set up STOs or DDs?

Maybe they will - I would want to with mine to get them learning.

Besides, the Smart Account (savings account) doesn't necessarily come with a card, and if it did it's only a cash card.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    !!! wrote: »
    Maybe they will - I would want to with mine to get them learning.

Besides, the Smart Account (savings account) doesn't necessarily come with a card, and if it did it's only a cash card.

1) would be great to teach your kids some financial stuff yourself. You can show them what you do with your bank accounts.

2) I can't imagine any responsible retailer accepting a debit card from a child.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure