PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone interested in a Remoska RECIPE ONLY topic?

123457»

Comments

• Thanks Laura

I will give it a go next week.
  • I found this forum today & thought I would add my Toad in the Hole recipe that I use-
    TOAD IN THE HOLE
    REMOSKA
    Ingredients

Try this with a 'Cumberland' ring.

1 egg
    56 g plain flour. (Type 45/55 in France)
    75 ml milk
    (Precook sausages in Remoska lift out, pour in batter, replace sausages, cook.)
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I do small appliance repairs, and I took a remoska apart a few years ago to fix it. The model I had (apparently it was bought around 2012 from Lakeland) wasn't reassuring. The electrical insulation is very limited. They do not have a sealed element, instead the lid contains an uninsulated coil of wire much like the glowing wires inside toasters or hairdryers, held away from the metal lid by ceramic beads. Dropping the lid or denting it could very easily break them and short the element to the lid. Wires like this can also snap from thermal fatigue or being dropped, much like lightbulb filaments do. There are also many holes in the lid and gaps where steam or water can easily get inside and short the element to the case - as it had with this remoska, which is why it had been bought to me. I also noticed that the unit contained soldered wires in the handle - which is a poor choice for a device intended to get hot as these may melt if the device overheats. I did not see any thermal cut out either. Exposed metal contacts were also very close to each other, few mm gap at most. I've taken apart hundred of devices and never seen anything like this. Fortunately the owner had a relatively modern consumer unit (fuse box) with an RCD and it was immediately tripping because of the water in the lid.

Anyway, my conclusion was that the remoska has little to no safety features and many ways it can fail dangerously. Its safety is very much down to your house's wiring and what kind of consumer unit you have. Faulty earthing for example would make this a dangerous device. If you have proper earthing to the socket and a working RCD, the hazards are reduced, but the lack of safety features in it are still a risk as wiring and consumer units do develop faults or can be installed badly - sometimes being used in this state for years without anyone realising.
  • Ben84 wrote: »
    I do small appliance repairs, and I took a remoska apart a few years ago to fix it. The model I had (apparently it was bought around 2012 from Lakeland) wasn't reassuring. The electrical insulation is very limited. They do not have a sealed element, instead the lid contains an uninsulated coil of wire much like the glowing wires inside toasters or hairdryers, held away from the metal lid by ceramic beads. Dropping the lid or denting it could very easily break them and short the element to the lid. Wires like this can also snap from thermal fatigue or being dropped, much like lightbulb filaments do. There are also many holes in the lid and gaps where steam or water can easily get inside and short the element to the case - as it had with this remoska, which is why it had been bought to me. I also noticed that the unit contained soldered wires in the handle - which is a poor choice for a device intended to get hot as these may melt if the device overheats. I did not see any thermal cut out either. Exposed metal contacts were also very close to each other, few mm gap at most. I've taken apart hundred of devices and never seen anything like this. Fortunately the owner had a relatively modern consumer unit (fuse box) with an RCD and it was immediately tripping because of the water in the lid.

Anyway, my conclusion was that the remoska has little to no safety features and many ways it can fail dangerously. Its safety is very much down to your house's wiring and what kind of consumer unit you have. Faulty earthing for example would make this a dangerous device. If you have proper earthing to the socket and a working RCD, the hazards are reduced, but the lack of safety features in it are still a risk as wiring and consumer units do develop faults or can be installed badly - sometimes being used in this state for years without anyone realising.

Ben, thankyou for posting this.

Two things - one is that the design completely changed a few years ago, possibly to address these safety issues?
    But that doesn't change the fact that plenty of us are using old one s- mine dates from late 2006, iirc.

Secondly, you'll be pleased to know that my chap is like you and dismantles things for mending them, and we've just bumped the Remoska right up to the top of the list for being dismantled, examined and either safety features added or somehow we replace it...

As friends reported problems with their shorting when used with a lot of liquid, I use mine mostly for baking - I make sausage rolls, fairy cakes, jam tarts, baked potatoes... I avoid anything with a lot of liquid involved - I used to make soups and stews but now I just use it as an oven, not as a saucepan.

Thanks again. I shall be very very wary of it until my chap's had a chance to dismantle it!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure