Amex shop small back

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Well it costs them a few pennies in the form of amexs relatively hefty fees, though admittedly not anywhere near the full promotional cost.

Do you have a link which details Amex's "relatively hefty fees" and the "full promotional cost" of Shop Small? Thanks in anticipation.
  • Anthorn wrote: »
    Do you have a link which details Amex's "relatively hefty fees" and the "full promotional cost" of Shop Small? Thanks in anticipation.

The fee amex charges a merchant is dependent on how many transactions they take etc. It is much more than Visa/MasterCard (easily double).

The promotion is run by Amex and as such, it costs the merchant nothing to participate (other than the aforementioned card fee) as it is Amex who takes the £5 hit.
  • Does anyone have an email for Barclaycard issued Amex? I've had issues with 4 retailers now so would like to let them know.
  • wolvoman
    wolvoman Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Biggles wrote: »
    Especially as you can only cash out once per small trader. You must be doing plenty of miles!
    Having 9 cards helps.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wolvoman wrote: »
    Having 9 cards helps.

Only 9? You really need to complain to Amex about that!
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The fee amex charges a merchant is dependent on how many transactions they take etc. It is much more than Visa/MasterCard (easily double).

Not according to my friendly local independent bike shop. According to the owner, AMEX fees are now significantly lower than Visa / MasterCard.
  • mvteng wrote: »
    Not according to my friendly local independent bike shop. According to the owner, AMEX fees are now significantly lower than Visa / MasterCard.

It depends on what deal can be struck between the merchant and Amex. Sometimes Amex will lower their fees to get a particular merchant (perhaps in a particular area too if they want to increase coverage in a certain area).

Sometimes it can be cheaper for the merchant, although 99% of the time it isn't. The higher fees go towards the cashback and promotions such as Small Shop.
  • Hi,

For those of you who have reported a business which actually doesn't take amex... This happened to me yesterday, I actually ordered more food than usual thinking of the £5 discount and when I got there they don't take CREDIT cards (never mind AmEx...)... Tried calling Barclaycard who told me sorry we cannot do anything it's a 3rd party offer, I need to call AmEx... tried calling AmEx UK customer service ( 0800 917 8047) who told me they cannot do anything because my card was issued by a bank... :mad:
    How did you report it?
    Thanks
  • Yawn
    Yawn Posts: 151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What I have noticed, having moved from Oxford to Cardiff last year, is the regional variation. There are definitely fewer small shops which accept Amex here, and two of those on the list on the website actually don't accept Amex at all. In the end there were only two retailers that I wanted to visit...
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No sign of this happening this year?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business