MSE News: Ryanair reduces check-in window to two days - unless you pay to reserve a seat

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
Forumite
edited 16 May 2018 at 10:33AM in Flights, currency & car hire
Budget airline Ryanair is reducing its check-in window from four days before flights to two days from Wednesday 13 June - unless you buy a reserved seat...
Read the full story:
'Ryanair reduces check-in window to two days - unless you pay to reserve a seat'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Just pay to reserve your seat, it's not going to break the bank is it.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,274
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Thanks for the warning. Not such a big deal these days with most people having smartphones and so can easily use the Ryanair app with free roaming or wifi to checkin and get their mobile boarding passes.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Call me all the names you like about not being a true money-saver... but I refuse to even look at Ryanair flights on comparison websites anymore. A holiday is not a holiday if it starts with a feeling of dread in your stomach as you arrive at the airport, worrying in case you have fallen foul of one of Ryanair's many underhand tactics. This kind of unnecessary, spiteful profiteering just further proves it.

If you think I'm soft because 'if you just follow the rules, you'll be alright', then save your words; just be glad that I'm leaving more of the cheap seats for you.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Most airlines only allow check-in on the same day, don't they?
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    prowla wrote: »

Within 24 hours.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    prowla wrote: »

But those airlines also allow you to check in at the airport free-of-charge.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Already a thread on this (started before this one)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5842884
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,891
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MSE says "If you do want to cancel, Ryanair says you must notify it by Saturday 19 May – you can do this by calling its customer service team on 0871 246 0000."

Why isn't MSE making a huge fuss about

1. Ryanair changing the rules in the middle of the game (can they legally do this?); and

2. Using an 0871 Service Charge number costing up to 68p per minute for Customer service purposes in breach of the Consumer Contracts: Information, Cancellation and Additional Payments Regulations 2013 ?

It seems that MSE or Ryanair have quoted the wrong number. The 0871 number is for NEW bookings, where it is legal to use a rip-off number provided that the mandatory Ofcom price warning is also given. However, Ryanair have the Basic Rate number 0330 1007 838 for post booking enquiries.

I'm disappointed that MSE haven't spotted this.
  • JasonLVC
    JasonLVC Posts: 16,762
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I thught Ryan Air/O'Leary made a big statement a couple of years ago about how they were goinhttps://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/nov/02/ryanair-credits-being-pleasant-to-customers-for-profits-riseg to be nicer people to deal with.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I don't even know what this is/means... how can you check in if you're not there? To me, the language "check in" means "Hello, here I am, standing in front of you, so I can check in, to get onto the plane I expect to shortly be viewable through the windows".

You can tell I've never flown .... and I never expect to as it's really not my level of affluence to travel where a plane would be required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure