Asda Pay Pumps

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    HeyG wrote: »
    I saw this on the DM - so is this only for credit cards? I'm assuming Visa debit will be fine?

Actually a credit card would be the best card to use if you don't want your money tied up for a few days.
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    !!! wrote: »
    Don't pay at the pump then

Havent got a problem with that, I am just making a point. Its easy when someone says something you dont necessarily agree with to respond with 'dont do this then' or dont do that then'

Prime example the TSB problems, the easy answer would be 'dont bank with them then' but life isnt always as simple as you make it out to be.

Thank you for your input though, it has been kindly received.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    the problem of pre authorisation with debit cards has been around for a while and I believe there was a thread some time ago about when you buy groceries online there is a pre authorisation and then the actual payment and the pre authorisation doesn't drop off for a couple of days so your account 'available' alance goes down by more than you think

It is obviously worse for petrol pumps if they are going to preauthorize £99 each time. there is no real solution other than don't use pay at pumps with a debit card use a credit card instead
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ha ha who only buys £5 of fuel! Just a coincedenc shes quite a looker?
  • wizzywig27
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Ha ha who only buys £5 of fuel! Just a coincedenc shes quite a looker?

Think the point is, should you want £1 of fuel or £50 of fuel, people feel holding £99 for xx amount of time is unfair, and I agree
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    Think the point is, should you want £1 of fuel or £50 of fuel, people feel holding £99 for xx amount of time is unfair, and I agree

Exactly. I have a fiesta and I could not get anywhere near £99 fuel in if i tried. The most I have ever done is £43 or so to fill the tank from empty.

I dont understand why it takes more than 5 minutes for the hold to drop off.

(Although if you top up 2 days in a row, I would suggest your time is better spent filling up properly the first time! ;))
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I used to work in a petrol station and I think it was in October 2016 that they started pre-authorising credit/debit cards with £99 before charging the correct amount a few days later.

There's a petrol station in Lower Kilburn (Derbys.) that allows you to charge a set amount e.g. £10 which I much prefer to be honest.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • wizzywig27
    Herbalus wrote: »
    Exactly. I have a fiesta and I could not get anywhere near £99 fuel in if i tried. The most I have ever done is £43 or so to fill the tank from empty.

I dont understand why it takes more than 5 minutes for the hold to drop off.

(Although if you top up 2 days in a row, I would suggest your time is better spent filling up properly the first time! ;))

Problem is in my job I am required to use my car to carry out certain aspects of my role. Some days I may not drive anywhere, others I am out and about, and it can never be planned. I like to manage how much I am putting in for work and how much is for my use.

I would say that £10 normally does me for a week, but if I use it for work purposes I may need more, but might fill up on Sunday then at work on Monday might need to pop out, hence me filling up two days in a row ;)
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It always shows £1 for me on the odd occasion that I get fuel from Asda.

But who cares if it's £99?, if you're that close financially then you have other issues to deal with.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    eschaton wrote: »
    But who cares if it's £99?, if you're that close financially then you have other issues to deal with.
    Nice - let them eat cake, eh?

That was a crass and unnecessary comment you made - there are many people for whom routine (and arguably unnecessary) reservation of £99 from available funds is indeed a big issue, of course especially so if they have other cashflow problems to contend with, so it wouldn't surprise me if some found your sneering remark offensive or insensitive....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure