Updated Mobile Unlocking Article discussion

Comments

• Originally Posted by ianonline viewpost.gif
    Is anyone able to confirm therefore EXACTLY how the "12 month rule" is applied for unlocking Vodafone PAYG handsets, and whether there is any information about this on the Vodafone website?

i called vodafone 2 days ago and was told that they would charge me £19.99 because i bought my phone last november, i was reallyangry at this cos i have 4 phones registered with them and have spent approx £80 per month for past 3 years, so i told them that i had bought another phone (the same model) for someone else in nov and they believed me and gave me the code

so just tell them your phone is over a year old, they have no way of tracing where you got the phone
  • ianonline
    ianonline Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i called vodafone 2 days ago and was told that they would charge me £19.99 because i bought my phone last november, i was reallyangry at this cos i have 4 phones registered with them and have spent approx £80 per month for past 3 years, so i told them that i had bought another phone (the same model) for someone else in nov and they believed me and gave me the code

so just tell them your phone is over a year old, they have no way of tracing where you got the phone
    Did you buy your phone direct from Vodafone?
    and did you tell them you bought your phone in November or did they tell you ?
    If you told them that you bought two phones of the same model, they would in theory be able to tell which one you are unlocking by tracing the IMEI numbers, but they don't appear to be going to any such lengths as it's clearly not worth all the time and effort involved.

I suspect from what others have also said, if you challenge the charge and have a plausible excuse then they'll back down and do it for free. There doesn't appear to be any set procedure for determining how long a person has owned a handset, and the only way Vodafone could say for sure it was less than 12 months old is if a particular model has only been launched and available to buy within the last 12 months.

Ian :cool:
  • bhaja
    bhaja Posts: 5 Forumite
    i have a few nokia phones i no longer use. my mum's phone (she's in israel)has no life left so i was thinking to give her 1 of my phones. what do i need to do?do i unlock my set & simply put her sim card in or is it simply not possible, any one knows?
    thanxxxx
  • can anyone help please I have been trying since sunday evening to find an unlock code for this phone I have the emi number ect I have also tried some sites on ebay one said she didnt have the code another sent me a silly report which told me about the phone but no code. They have since said they will refund my money I dont mind paying a little for getting it but dont want to waste much more time looking and getting knowwhere, any help at all will be appreciated. When i put my sim in it asks for subsidy code?
    thanks in advance. Sharon
  • even though i bought the fone from their website,when i wanted to unlock it they asked when i bought the fone & i told them the truth, it was nov. they then wanted 20 quid to give me unlock code so i told them i got confused and it was a birthday gift i bought for someone else and my phone was older.

i also got a different fone unlocked yesterday by saying it was 13 months old
    and that one was bought last july

vodaphone will not give in if you argue with them cos thier cust services is a subcontract company in wales and have no authority to make a deal. :confused:
  • ianonline
    ianonline Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    vodaphone will not give in if you argue with them cos thier cust services is a subcontract company in wales and have no authority to make a deal. :confused:
    But you've just proven that you DID get them to overturn the £19.99 charge so they must have the power to do this (even if you did have to tell them a little porkie to make them believe your phone was over 12 months old :p ).

Ian :cool:
  • netwalker
    netwalker Posts: 120 Forumite
    I Have two mobiles on t-milbe need to unlock, but i have only one payg sim card/account in use. Can I request two unlocking code using my this sim account at a charge of 30? thanks
    If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.
  • sysboy
    sysboy Posts: 222 Forumite
    coinchaser wrote: »
    I went through a search engine and found unlockangel.com, and after putting in details of my son's phone, Sony Ericsso J110 on Virgin, it said for £2.99 I could have an unlocking report. Great I thought, so paid on PayPal.
    This is what I got :-(
    Dear Customer,
    Thank you for using Unlock Angel.

Please find below the report for your phone (Sony Ericsson J110)

Phone IMEI Number : 2147483647
    Phone Details
    Phone Model : J110
    Phone Manufacturer : Sony Ericsson
    Phone Description : General 2G Network GSM 900 / 1800 - J110i
    GSM 850 / 1900 - J110a
    Announced 2007, February
    Status Available
    Size Dimensions 99 x 44 x 17 mm
    Weight 79 g
    Display Type STN, 65K colors
    Size 96 x 64 pixels
    - Wallpapers, themes
    Ringtones Type Polyphonic (16 channels) Customization Download Vibration Yes Memory Phonebook 200 entries Call records 10 dialed, 20 received and missed calls Card slot No Data GPRS No HSCSD No EDGE No 3G No WLAN No Bluetooth No Infrared port No
    USB
    Features Messaging SMS, EMS
    Browser No
    Games Yes
    Colors Smooth Grey, Soft Cream, Precious Purple Camera No
    - T9
    - Calculator
    - Reminder
    - Built-in handsfree
    Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion
    Stand-by Up to 400 h
    Talk time Up to 9 h

Network Details
    Provider Name : Virgin UK
    Address :

Unlock Option
    Please contact your Network Provider to obtain an unlock code.

Thank You
    Unlock Angel
    www.unlockangel.com

I knew all that before. I have emailed their customer service looking for a full refund. Has anyone else experienced similar? Am soooooo cross with it GRRRRR

I think they are complete cheater. Dont use them any more.
    You can try to unlock your handset by yourself, but I have never tried to unlock J110 as I have not such a handset. I successfully unlocked my W580i using some other software freely.

unlock J100i,J110i,J120i,K200i,K220i

unlock J100i,J110i,J120i,K200i,K220i

J100i
    J110i
    J120i
    J200i
    J220i

support only Binary format...pure binary data not crypted files

- Read/Write full flash
    - Read/write firmware
    - Read/write flex
    - Read/write language