Drivers of expensive cars - do you get paranoid?

Or any decent car to be honest.

First week I got my car, in the car park someone opened their door on mine and put a dent in it. I was highly annoyed. Within the year, someone somehow knocked of my wing mirror whilst parked on a wide road. I've had the front of my car scraped, back scraped, rear ended twice and last month, someone reversed into me (again whilst I'm stationary) in a car park. Also also, a truck scrapes my car leaving a round about and today someone put deep scratches on the front side whilst coming out of a parking space next to me.

Good thing I drive a 7 year old Fiesta.

For those with more expensive cars, are you paranoid about where you park it etc.and do you take extra measures to ensure it's safe? I have friends who'll park is disabled bays, parent bays or pick up points in car parks to avoid people hitting it. My neighbour bought an old banger just so he can keep his space when he takes his BMW out. He'll literally swap them around in our cul De sac so he doesn't have to park on the main street.

I know of someone who double parks and will only leave his car in a place it's very difficult to see anyone accidentally damaging it. Hell, one friend rents out driveways through an app when he leaves his car for the station despite there being free parking on the road!

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,272
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would...so I don't!!

Like with most nice expensive things, someone else will either try to steal it or damage it!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.47% of current retirement "pot" (as at end February 2024)
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I always park on the empty part of the carpark miles from the shops, and 20 minutes later when I return with the shopping, there will be another car parked 5cm from mine on an otherwise empty carpark :mad:
    They do it purposefully to annoy me, and make my day a little bit more miserable....:(
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 677
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have a two year old car, I will always try and park away from other cars if possible, but hey if someone is going to damage it then they will damage it, I have a dash cam with park mode so hopefully it’ll pick anything up, but hey ho, life’s too short
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Cars are supposed to give you the freedom to go where you want when you want. Get a posh one and you lose that freedom.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I take pride in looking after my cars whether i've spent £300 or £30,000 on them.

I hate to see them damaged, particularly through other peoples negligence or lack or respect for other peoples property.

Sadly there is an element in society who cant stand that other people have a nicer / more expensive car than them or clearly look after their car so seem to take pleasure in whacking their door off your car or scuffing it with a trolley or handbag.

It is fortunate i guess that the sort of person who does that tends to be sort who wants as close as possible to the door of the shop so they dont have to waddle too far and risk breaking a sweat, thus parking at the far side of the car park in an end space removes 99% of the risk :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My car's got several bumps and scrapes of unknown origins... I was kind of pleased after the first one as it meant I could stop worrying.

I've not paid a penny to fix them as there'll be another.

My car cost me £7k, I've had it nearly 10 years, it's worth sub £1k at a guess.

I'd never be able to drive an expensive car anywhere for all the fears of damage!
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,548
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    JackeeBoy wrote: »
    Or any decent car to be honest..
    Not much.

I buy nearly new used cars so they usually have a few cosmetic marks already.

My current car was pristine when I bought it four years ago as it had only done a few hundred miles.

I was irritated when the first car park dings happened but I don't stress about things over which I have little or no control.

It now has a few dings and scratches but it still looks in good condition unless you get very close up to it.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Your friend parks in disabled bays for the sake of his car?

Have you let him know that makes him a complete knob end?
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 October 2019 at 5:39PM
    I had a Range Rover which I bought new at a cost of £87k. I was very paranoid about it getting stolen, dented in car parks, someone spilling something inside. I got rid of it after a couple of years and was quite relieved.

Glad I've had a car that nice, but also glad I don't have it anymore.
    JackeeBoy wrote: »
    I have friends who'll park is disabled bays,

This, by the way, is disgusting and unforgiveable. Anyone who did this would be no friend of mine.
  • My cars already come prepared with chips and scratches so any new ones just blend in :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure