Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't understand, I thought if it was covered by abta or atol , you were covered? Why not in this case.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Anyone that has claimed through ATOL before know the answer to this:

Me and my friend booked on a package holiday. We split the deposit 50/50 ans each paid on our own debit cards. Do i have to submit 2 ATOL claim forms seeing as 2 different cards were used, or can i get both deposits paid back into my account and i will then transfer his share?

The ATOL claim form only allows you to give bank details for 1 account
  • So I booked for next year paying via dd.
    My third payment of £170 is due on Friday.
    I have an atol cert I've checked, however do I pay on Friday ? Will I get this back or am I throwing money away?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    roddydogs, ABTA does not provide any form of financial protection for holidays involving air travel. TC could have protected the flights under their own ATOL but chose not to, only the packages which are required by law to be covered by an ATOL licence.

bobblebob, two people if booked together should be able to make a single claim but if there is a failure of this size, the CAA will appoint a claims handler (who is allegedly recruiting staff right now according to the bastion of truth 'the Sun' )and therefore they may decide to require individual claims. The CAA should make this clear if and when it is necessary
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    roddydogs wrote: »
    I don't understand, I thought if it was covered by abta or atol , you were covered? Why not in this case.

I think you need to expand on your situation to gain a relevant answer.

The updated MSE report is actually well written with good advice. Have you read through it? https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/?_ga=2.106868228.604875785.1540842026-1344478144.1443270551

Edit: Just seen that Alan Bowen has answered in post above.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Ok thanks Silly me I just thought that with possibly the biggest name in holidays people would be covered.!
  • roddydogs, most people are fully protected by the ATOL scheme if they bought a package holiday. It is only those who did not who may have to look elsewhere for protection
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Going to be fun working in the ATOL claim department in the coming weeks. Could be hundreds of thousands of claims that land on their desk
  • Thomas Cook claim that Thomas Cook Airline bookings only will not be affected at all. Is there any truth in this claim?
  • Fran Littler
    I have a P&O cruise booked through TC, I’ve paid a deposit and the balance is due next year. How am I affected?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure