Offset Mortgages -- the Numbers

Comments

• Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    @Digging Out.
    I could only get one mortgage and it was an IF tracker.
    Intelligent Finance, or IF are a bonding of Halifax and Bank of Scotland, the non Royal kind, often refered to as HBOS. (Background for guests and the curious)

I had no credit history as I always saved my money for things I needed rather than use credit.

Your formula for my circumstances involves a division by zero as the rate I pay on my mortgage equals the rate I get on the cash balances in linked savings and current accounts.

Can you rearrange your formula to reflect the simplified circumstances.  
    Regards JB

PS you are allowed to use the phrases 'trivial case' and
    'by inspection'.

• Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Joe - I am confused. Are you saying that your savings rate after tax is deducted is the same as the interest you are paying on your mortgage?
  • Joe_Bloggs
    @Pal
    I don't pay any tax on my savings because I receive no interest on them. My 'savings' partially offset my mortgage capital before interest is charged on the mortgage.

I am free to use my savings as I see fit. It is very profitable to leave them to where they are.

I realise that there are better deals to be had but I had no real choice given my lack of credit history at the time.
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    So you are already offsetting. In that case the formula doesn't work as you are comparing the interest saving from offsetting with the notional interest earned by offsetting i.e. exactly the same thing. Obviously neither of these things is better.

Dug's formula is designed to show a comparison between offsetting and a savings account.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    @Pal
    I never knew I was doing anything different to anyone
    else. I understand that DiggingOut's equations do not apply to me and that his equation could apply to anyone else with unlinked mortgage and savings, where the interest on the savings is liable for tax.

I leave it to the author of the equation to clarify the boundary conditions that apply.

PS I value your contributions and DiggingOuts enormously.
    Regards JB.  
  • DiggingOut
    DiggingOut Posts: 770 Forumite
    J_B, the formulas do work for you, you just have to look at it kind of in reverse.

The purpose is to determine whether an offset mortgage or separate mortgage/savings products are to your advantage. Most people who would use the formula do not have an offset, they have savings and a mortgage. For them it is a question of whether they would gain by going to an offset.

In your case, you already have an offset, so the question is whether or not you would gain by going to separate products. To do this, you would have to be able to get another mortgage. You said IF was the only one you could get, but I suspect now you may be able to get another by virtue of having built up some history with your current mortgage.

So if you are thinking about remortgaging, you could look at what is available right now on mortgages (I haven't looked recently, so don't know). Then, you could compare it to what you would get on savings if you weren't in an offset mortgage (ISA, maybe 5.5% with cahoot, which would then need to be adjusted for tax). Plug those numbers into the formula along with your offset mortgage rate with IF and that should tell you whether you are better off with IF offset or by remortgaging to a low fixed rate or discount mortgage.

I hope all that is clear, if not please post again (with specific figures, if you want), and I'll try to clarify it more.

Very busy these days, so if you post more please also pm me to let me know, otherwise I may not see it for a few days.
    PS I value your contributions and DiggingOuts enormously.

Flattery will get you everywhere, especially if it is accompanied by large cheques in the post. ;D ;D
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
  • Joe_Bloggs
    @DigggingOut
    The status of existing financial products is not mentioned in your posts. Nor could it be as these vary from person to person. The title of the thread seems to apply to all offset mortgage products. Whether you ever had another mortgage before or not.

I know you missed out on the tax implications of mixing debts with savings and having them treated with the same interest rates by the same financial institution prior to taxation. I guess they could sack a few hundred staff after that simplification was made!

Don't let my pedantic protestations put you of from the great work that you do on the forum,.

Division by zero is infinity. Zero divided by zero is undefined.
  • DiggingOut
    J_B, if you check the thread which was referenced in my first post, it was a discussion as to whether or not an offset mortgage was worthwhile compared to other, cheaper mortgages. The prior calculation to which I referred was to determine the break-even point -- how much savings you have to have to make an offset mortgage more beneficial than another mortgage. If you check the link, I think you will see what I mean.

So the point of the calculations is to compare two scenarios -- offset and non-offset, by using offset rate vs. nonoffset rates (mortgage, savings, & current account). By using those rates, you can find the break-even point for how much savings you have to have to make an offset worthwhile. If your savings exceeds the breakeven point (on a percentage basis), the offset is more beneficial.

You should not assume that I missed out on tax implications without reading the definition of terms:
    SavingsRate -- this is the rate you can get on your savings -- AFTER taxes
    also in my post to you
    ISA, maybe 5.5% with cahoot, which would then need to be adjusted for tax

If I did miss out on tax implications, I would definitely be one whose head would roll (figuratively, in employment terms).

However, you raise an interesting question. If the after tax savings rate that someone could get outside an offset mortgage IS INDEED equal to the offset mortgage rate, what happens to my formula? Because indeed, that would result in a division by zero, which is infinity!

What conclusion do we draw from this? That I am wrong? Perish the thought! As my mother used to say, wash your mouth out with soap for even suggesting such a thing! :D

If the offset rate is equal to the non-offset after tax savings rate, then it will take an infinite percentage of the mortgage debt in savings to break even with the offset mortgage. Because no matter how much savings you have, if you can do as well with your savings outside the offset mortgage, then the offset provides NO benefit at all. You will always be better off with the cheaper non-offset mortgage (at least from a strictly mathematical perspective, leaving the flexibility issues out of it). If you had £100 billion in savings to offset it, you would still be better off with the cheaper non-offset mortgage. As you said, the answer is infinity.

The fact is that most of us ordinary mortals cannot get an aftertax savings rate as high as our mortgage without using an offset. This is the benefit of offsets -- and especially for higher rate taxpayers, for whom aftertax savings rates are not particularly thrilling.
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
  • Joe_Bloggs
    @DiggingOut.
    Tax = £0
    You pay interest on the difference between your mortgage debt and your savings. You are never credited with interest. Hence you do not pay tax on your 'savings' pot. The rate is the same for both!
    Hence tax implications are not a consideration for you to worry about. You just have to pay them off before Mervyn King has his way.
    Regards JB
  • DiggingOut
    J_B, that is true only with the offset.  But comparing offset to non-offset, on the non-offset side of things savings is taxable.

I think I understand the problem.  When I defined terms, I just used the term SavingsRate.  I meant non-offset savings rate, but it isn't entirely clear in the original post.  I'll edit it to clarify.

edit: Please check the original post with definition of terms for savings rate and current account rate and see if that makes things clearer.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure