HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback

Comments

• I called them several times to cancel my policy as it wasn't suitable for my needs. I was kept on hold for long periods of time and cut off when I got through. This happened several times. It made me wonder whether it was deliberate. Just as well I'm cancelling my policy. I'd hate to be in dire straits abroad and repeatedly cut off when I called.
  • Holidaysafe_Representative
    Holidaysafe_Representative Posts: 108 Organisation Representative
    Hi All2008,

My name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe. I just wanted to sincerely apologise that you had trouble contacting our customer service centre. While we have been experiencing high volumes of calls, I can assure you that this is not the high standard of customer service we strive to provide every Holidaysafe customer. I understand that you chose to cancel your policy with us because it did not meet your requirements, however I would still like to look into this matter to uncover any potential issues, therefore if you could email me the number you were calling from, and the date you tried to call us to [EMAIL="website@infinityinsurance.co.uk"]website@infinityinsurance.co.uk[/EMAIL], (and mark it for my personal attention,) I can investigate.

Even though you are no longer a customer, I would like to reassure you that if you had faced an emergency abroad we have a separate line for our medical emergency team, which is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Once again I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused, and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Kind regards, Amber.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I have just purchased travel insurance from Holidaysafe and I am very annoyed at myself for leaving a box that was ticked ALREADY for the policy to be sent to me by post at the cost of £1.75. Of course I could have printed it out very easily myself doh!! So in future I will be VERY careful to check options. It's a shame that they use these low sort of tactics though, don't you think!!
    Hi holistic49, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe. I'm sorry you feel disappointed that we automatically tick the box for postage, however we do this because many of our clients want their documents to be printed and posted.

I can assure you that the entire £1.75 is spent on printing and posting documents, therefore the choice is only there as part of our commitment to customer service. The option for postage is clearly displayed and you can easily opt out by un-ticking the box.

Once again I want to apologise, and I understand that the cost of postage has already been refunded to you. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. Kind regards, Amber.
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I took out Annual Individual Worldwide Travel Insurance with Holiday Safe at the beginning of February after looking at MSE's best buys. Then unfortunately I had to cancel my holiday because I was travelling with my parents and my dad was taken ill the day before we were flying. I printed out the forms and sent them off with all the evidence and received a cheque for the full amount of my claim yesterday (minus £60 excess).
  • This is not a user friendly site.

You need to watch out for premiums on activities eg walking vs rambling. They have 7 different levels of activity cover with eg fell walking, rambling and walking being covered for no cost. BUT if you want to ramble up to 2000m it'll cost £17 per person extra. Mountain walking up to 1000M costs an extra £34. Whereas there seems to be no height limit on just walking. I bet if you fell over while walking and it happened to be at over 2000M they'd claim it was excluded!

And once you get a quote and go away from the page, it's not possible to go back in and change information without going through the whole screening process again. I inadvertently added 30kg to my husband's weight which I'm sure would be a material factor as they probably use height and weight to calculate BMI. But to change it, I either have to flog through their questions again or ring their 0845 number. They need to learn from some of the comparison websites where they do retain information and let you tailor further.

I'll go elsewhere
    edited 20 May 2013 at 2:32PM
    Hi chocolateeater, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.co.uk. Firstly I would like to apologise that you feel dissatisfied with our website, I understand that you have chosen to look elsewhere for travel insurance, however I wanted to take a moment to address some of your concerns.

All travel insurance policies (apart from specific adventure policies) charge additional premiums for activities, depending on the level of ‘hazard’ the activity presents. However, we are in the process of reviewing our activity packs to make sure there are no anomalies, and we will be reviewing your particular experience.

Regarding our quote process, because we allow customers to screen and declare their medical conditions online, unfortunately it is not possible to edit quotes once they have been completed or saved. This is to make sure that all information is declared and nothing is accidentally removed – we do warn customers that they will not be able to change their quote once it has been saved or completed. In addition, the Data Protection Act means that we do not store quote information on our servers for more than a short period of time.

Many comparison sites do allow you to change basic information on a quote, however this is because most do not allow you to declare medical conditions.

Our customer service centre is available 8am-8pm weekdays and 9am-5pm Saturdays, to help answer any customer queries and to edit quotes if necessary.

I hope this has answered some of your queries,and I hope you will consider us again in the future. Safe travels, Amber.
  • I Have to say that I am very impressed with Holiday Safe regarding refunding my holiday. When my husband fell ill earlier this year we had to cancel our holiday to California and Las Vegas which I had booked myself on line. We submitted claims for flights and hotels, and were compensated for all without any problems. As with any travel insurance we had notified them of all medical pre existing conditions and all medicines. I will certainly recommend them. ( started using them from Recommendation on Martins site)
  • On the basis that this was a well recommended product I assumed that cover would be sufficient for my holiday. I read through the paperwork, including the small print and it seemed to cover everything that was required.

However when we made a claim after our apartment had been broken into I discovered the following :-
    Whilst cover is £2000 for personal items, this is broken down to different sections. So for example you only get £300 cover for electrical items - basically anything with a plug or batteries.
    Excess is applied per section - couldn't find this one in my paperwork!
    Excess is applied per per person, per section.

So the long and short is that all our electronic goods were taken, including shavers, hair straightners, kids IPOD's, etc - and we had to pay an excess for each section for each person.
    Additionally I found that the level set for wear and tear was quite excessive. For example a memory card that was 2 months old was reduced by 12.5% - these things last for years. Clearly this is not defined and is up to the insurer.

Overall not very happy with my experience with this company. We split our claim with house insurance, as we had some cover - and they covered everything with no issue - not HolidaySafe.

I will be holidaying soon and will be buying another policy from someone who does what they say on the tin!!!
  • I phoned to check whether my son was insured to travel independently from his parents if i took out the annual family policy. I was told he was so long as he was accompanied by an adult so I bought the policy. When I e mailed customer service to get written confirmation of this I was told this was not the case. My son would only be covered if he traveled with an adult named on the policy. they cancelled the policy without a problem though I was on hold for almost 10 mins. They are a very good price and they do provide a good level of cover but double check everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure