halifax joint account query

Options
my partner has a current account with halifax..now due to my bad credit hisory. i want her to add my name to the account. will they do a credit check on me or what??? i remember when i added her to a savings account i had, she only had to provide i.d and thats it. anyone know what the process is? i dont want a card ,just my name on account so wages can be paid in ....normally be cheque or bacs. cheers folks

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If this is not a basic account it usually has an overdraft facility. Application for such account usually involves credit check. If you do not want a card you can ask your salary to be paid to your wife’s account by BACS transfers even if it is not a joint account. For cheques you can apply for basic account without overdraft facility.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are being added to an account that has credit facilities eg debit card, overdraft etc the bank will do a credit check on you.

You would be a joint holder not an additional name on account. Can you now open a basic acount for your salary?
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • paulupcreak
    Options
    well heres the story. my new employer will not pay me unless i have an account in my name. although previous employers have had no problems at all.. they have sent me a chq in my name which i cant cash!!! i just want to be able to go into a branch and open an ccount so i can pay this in. yes my partners account has credit/debit facilities on it too. think that means i wont pass then :(
  • paulupcreak
    Options
    can i not just be additional name... i dont want facilities just the means to put money there :)
  • sunflower_2
    sunflower_2 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    my halifax was originally my ex-hubby's

i put my name on n got switch card n everything with no credit check whatsoever

was only when hubby took his name off that they scored me

this was 9 year ago tho... wouldnt like to get ur hopes built up
  • ukric
    ukric Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    can i not just be additional name... i dont want facilities just the means to put money there :)

Much much much safer to have a joint account. If she adds you to her account it would be as a third party. If she ever decided she didnt want you to have access anymore she could just cut you off, not much recourse without going to court.

If you have a joint account then both parties have equal access.

The question you have to ask yourself is what would happen if you broke up?

HTH
    Nothing's free.....but we'll see what we can do!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't be "just an additional name" on a current account.

Current accounts are in the names of all the holders, and you are jointly and severally liable for any debts. Normally you would also be both able to withdraw funds.

Credit card accounts are completely different - they are in one person's name, and any additional cardholders are not actually parties to the account. Hence they wouldn't get credit scored at all.

If you are a creditworthy party with a partner with a bad credit history, the easiest way to give them access to spending power is as a named cardholder on your credit card account (if you trust them, of course)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure