'I need an 'angry' and 'excuse me' horn on my scooter' blog discussion

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    You're too valuable to us, Martin, to be charging about on a two wheeler or even a small car.
    Get a Bentley and a chauffeur.
  • timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    On my bike, I have two options: Horn for the 'highway code' purpose of letting people know I'm there, preferably before I get SMIDSY'd. For more subtle situations that don't quite demand a horn, clutch in and full revs usually gets peoples attention. Doesn't work on a scooter, but a good one for those on geared bikes.

Generally though, my horn doesn't get used much. One of the things about being on a bike is the added requirement to do the observations for everyone who hasn't worried about it because they're in a nice big metal box with airbags and seatbelts, so (touch wood) I've so far always seen impending doom and been able to react before it happens. If the other road user does stop (usually in a cloud of smoke and shrieking tyres as they realise the roundabout they're about to enter isn't empty after all), I just give them an "I'm not angry, I'm just....disappointed" look while slowly shaking my head, then continue my journey.
  • Bah, two wheelers want extra because they are NOT equal! The road, especially in London, is a great way to see the bad side of human nature (or un-nature, as we're not evolved to drive cars in busy cities, remember). Two wheelers get the worst of it by far, especially cyclists who can't power away from dangerous situations and are least protected. It doesn't stop bad drivers just because one rides courteously, so sure, it's then the drivers' fault. But good awareness and thus communication is key. Horns on bikes are good! But people need to stop their addiction to cars, end of story. They have their place - but that's hardly in the inner city just to transport people around. Not enough space, and we have to get real about that, and soon. Anyway, Martin, do you want to save money on a gym subscription by not requiring one at all? Swap the scooter for a bicycle. Top moneysaving tip there (well, if you have thick tyres that is, otherwise inner tubes get expensive with all the car-and-alcohol-derived glass on the roads)! ;)
  • areader
    areader Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How about everyone keeps their use of the horn to a minimum - there's enough traffic and horn noise around as it is.

and if you're on a "really narrow and winding road", how about you just drive very slowly and carefully rather than creating a lot of anti-social noise to announce your presence! In any case, who is to say the person coming the other way isn't listening to the radio or music?

Going back to the blog in hand, using your horn in anger is against the Highway Code, not that I've seen anyone pay much attention to it these days....

Highway Code - Signals - Section 112
    (I cannot post links so here is a copy/paste)
    The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
    • while stationary on the road
    • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
    except when another road user poses a danger.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How about a horn for "I'm sorry, it was my fault that I tried to put my scooter under your car by pulling out onto the roundabout that you were already on and forcing you to brake harshly because I am a complete !!!!!!" :mad:
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just for the record, sounding a vehicle's horn "in anger" is actually an offence. £60 and 3 points. It's meant to be used to warn other road users of your presence. It's also an offence to use it when the vehicle is stationary (ie. braking to avoid a pedestrian, then blaring your horn), or between 11pm and 7am, unless it is to warn another moving vehicle of your presence in order to avoid an accident.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Martin - I paid Metropolis Motorcycles to find the best mounting point and then fit an incredibly loud Italian horn (sorry - have forgetten the brand at the time of writing this, but I bought it at Halfords). This was an excellent replacement for the pathetic tinny beep provided as original equpt by Honda (a top-price 600 cc Silverwing). By only half-pressing the button I can give a more polite warning.
    Whilst at it they also fitted one of those Italian aprons (Tucano Urbano) which I aquired second hand. Again a great assistance in inclement weather.
    My Barnet Metropolis branch did both the above at very reasonable price and within a few hours, but I guess their Vauxhall branch would be better for you.
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    The standard horn on one motorbike I had was really pathetic (someone reversed into me because he couldn't hear it). What I did was add a much more powerful one which sounded only if the full beam was on. Very useful, and didn't require any extra switches.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • ScarletBea wrote: »
    Yes, I wish more people in scooters and bikes had a 'warning' hoot as well.
    I walk to work along the canal, and sometimes I get a right scare when a bike just shows up right behind me or tries to overtake me, really silently. What's wrong about ringing the bell to warm me they're coming behind?

Unfortunately this doesn't always work. While cycling on a shared path a bike in front of me rung their bell a good distance out (3 seconds away). Both pedestrians moved to the left of the path. I then rung my bell a good distance out (3 seconds away) to let them know more then 1 bike was passing. One person panicked and ran right across the path and collided with the cyclist in front of me. They both ended up on the ground with cuts and scrapes.
  • Just for the record, sounding a vehicle's horn "in anger" is actually an offence. £60 and 3 points... ... to warn another moving vehicle of your presence in order to avoid an accident.

The key here is "in order to avoid an accident"

Overtaking and honking to let some know of your presence is not grounds to avoid an accident.

If a driver starts changing lanes then honking is grounds for avoiding an accident (presuming you would collide if no action is taken).

We don't want this beautiful place turned into honk city. Please relax a bit, and stay off your horn unless necessary. A friendly toot saying 'I'm here', is not welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure