Where to get a VISA Electron card?

Comments

• NonGeographicalMan
    NonGeographicalMan Posts: 1,441
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 May 2009 at 5:15PM
    olaf wrote: »
    I just spoke to Alliance & Leicester (Santander) and they also stopped their Visa Electron Card :(

Just get a Co-Op Cashminder account.

They can do it all (open it) over the phone with no paperwork and you can put money in the account either by transferring funds online from your main bank account (they take Fastpay payments inbound so the money gets there right away if your bank supports Fastpay for outgoing payments) or at any Post Office branch or any sub post office. If you pay in cash at the Post Office the money is again available straight away to buy Ryanair flights. Make sure to turn down the efforts of the CoOp's telephone staff to sell you a full Co-Op bank account (Visa Debit instead of Visa Electron) by pointing out that you specifically want Cashminder because it offers the Visa Electron card.

There are no charges for opening or running a Co-Op Cashminder account. It also lets you pay in cheques at any post office or sub post office in the country. But obviously they have to clear before the funds are available in the Cashminder account.

You can phone them on 0800 0850950
  • Jen151
    Jen151 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Just get a Co-Op Cashminder account.

cheers i just called them and opened an account. they said it should take about four days. much better than bank of scotland my own bank which was guna take six weeks!

btw for anyone who is interested they do a credit check on you xx

:beer:
    ~ Team Sticky ~
  • Jaynee123
    Jaynee123 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Sorry, but Co-op are stopping the electron card as from June - you will just get a visa debit card not electron. I believe that they are also going to be sending visa debit cared replacements to all cashminder account holders!

Jaynee123
  • Just get a Co-Op Cashminder account.

They can do it all (open it) over the phone with no paperwork and you can put money in the account either by transferring funds online from your main bank account (they take Fastpay payments inbound so the money gets there right away if your bank supports Fastpay for outgoing payments) or at any Post Office branch or any sub post office. If you pay in cash at the Post Office the money is again available straight away to buy Ryanair flights. Make sure to turn down the efforts of the CoOp's telephone staff to sell you a full Co-Op bank account (Visa Debit instead of Visa Electron) by pointing out that you specifically want Cashminder because it offers the Visa Electron card.

There are no charges for opening or running a Co-Op Cashminder account. It also lets you pay in cheques at any post office or sub post office in the country. But obviously they have to clear before the funds are available in the Cashminder account.

I opened the co-op basic current account and they changed the visa debit card to electron card for me. The account was opened on Monday and card and cheque arrived Saturday. :j
  • FatDickie
    FatDickie Posts: 74 Forumite
    I have ordinary current accounts with

Nationwide

Abbey National

Aliance & leicester

Can anyone confirm that I can get an Electron card from one of these?
    Mortgage and totally Debt Free as of December 2008.

boy does it feel good!
    Thanks MSE for all the tips and advice
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    only the Abbey from that list issues Visa Electron.
  • FatDickie
    FatDickie Posts: 74 Forumite
    Cheers for that Savagej I'll contact them and see how easy it is to change my Visa Debit card over to an Electron
    Mortgage and totally Debt Free as of December 2008.

boy does it feel good!
    Thanks MSE for all the tips and advice
  • twjnorth
    twjnorth Posts: 28 Forumite
    Definitely takes the edge of getting a great price on the flight and then having to pay £10 for the booking fee - i had return flights to Dublin for £1 going out and £16 coming back but then had £10 put on top for the card payment - Still at £27 the return flight from Luton to Dublin is still cheaper than the taxi from my house to the airport which is a 20 minute car ride :)

I have now just opened a halifax account to get the card though for future bookings.
  • I just called up the Co-op Bank asking if I could get a Visa Electron account, I am already a customer of the bank, and they said no, they are discontinuing the service and people who already have electron cards will have them replaced with Debit cards :(
  • Has anyone tried avoiding the debit card/credit card charges by buying vouchers for them selves? I know they cost £5, but it's alot better than £40 for a family of four. I haven't tried this yet & wondered if anyone had experience of their vouchers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure