2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm another one emptying the cupboards and freezer at the moment to lower the grocery budget. I've also cleared one credit card (the other one is 0% til August 2020 so just letting that one tick over), opened a top-paying easy access savings account and a Help To Buy ISA, and closed an inactive account from when I was living abroad. Next thing on the financial to-do list is to sort out my invoices from the last couple of weeks so people can pay me!:D

On a slightly different note, does anyone make their own Christmas presents? It's something I'm thinking about for this year.
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • I was getting a little nervous as I seemed to be running out of money for the rest of the month but yesterday a day out in London for this weekend was cancelled (due to engineering works on trains and not being prepared to battle my way through) and a trip to the theatre was cancelled for next Monday. I should, therefore, be back on track for the rest of the month. I have another two weeks before pay day but I have got about £70 for food and £20 left for petrol so I should be okay.

I'm also trying to start thinking about Christmas presents. I already have savings to cover that expense but I don't want to start panic buying nearer the time. I have got two presents sorted already and am making another (a little dress for my niece). As to Christmas cards I have decided I'm going to advise everyone I will be making a donation to charity rather than sending Christmas cards as they just end up in the bin anyway. My present wrapping is sorted as I have made a load of cotton gift bags and I will be making some "gift tags" at some point out of felt and thread so that those can be reused as well. I'm trying to create less waste as well as saving money.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • I really knocked buying a lot of presents on the head last year thanks to Martin’s rant about buying unnecessary and unwanted gifts. We just bought for the kids and it worked really well; I also didn’t do the secret Santa at work which saved me money and a trip to the charity shop to donate the unwanted present :rotfl: I only have 4 children to buy for, one of those is my son so I have to do mummy and Santa gifts so call it 5.

I’ve already started buying some bits from the secondhand shops but did think I might knit my son a “dinosaur” jacket I got a pattern off the Internet for about a year ago. Its basically got coloured “spines” along the top of the hood and sleeves but the rest is plain. Hoping my evenings will no longer be filled with job applications after I’ve finished the latest one tonight; there are 9 positions going at work for a job I previously did before I relocated; fingers cross for releasing some crafting time :D

I have also checked out cards and paper from last year to see what I need which isn’t much. I plan to wrap as I buy and write cards with plenty of time so not having to spend December evenings Christmas prepping. Not going to make a Christmas cake as only me eats it and last year I didn’t get mince pies or Christmas pudding (no one really eats these either) and they weren’t missed. For Christmas Day I did a Sunday type dinner with a cheesecake for pudding and we were happy. I’ve already booked Santa special steam train and panto tickets and have a card advent calendar instead of tasteless chocolate to have arguments about. Will also look to see if either of the local National Trust properties have things on over Christmas break as a trip out :)
    Grocery challenge SPC #023 SPC 12: £125.86[/COLOUR]:SPC 13: £214.98: SPC 14: £297.41 SPC 15: £237.27 SPC 16 £335.39; SPC 17 ? MFW #21 Mortgage start Dec 2015 £79,950; January 2024 £26,105 2024 OP £150/COLOR]/£1,500 MFiT T6 #3 £13,159/£25,500 (51.60%)
  • Last night I updated my direct debits & standing orders so my bills & savingsgo into a separate bank account on payday and I don't have to worry about them.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I've been doing that for years. I used to get paid on the last working day of the month, and all my bills went out on 1st - which wasn't a problem using just one account. But then my employer changed pay day to 15th of the month, and I couldn't change the payments dates for all my outgoings so I opened a second account for bill payments.

It worked well after my hubby died, which coincided with my salary stopping. I was getting child benefit weekly, child tax credits either weekly or forntightly, widowed parents allowance either weekly or fortnightly (not sure which way round they were, but one was weekly and one was fortnightly), and a widows pension from a company scheme at the end of every month. The only way I could be sure the money was in the bank to cover the bills when they went out was to move part of every deposit to a different bank account.

When I started working again 12 months later, my first job was paid every 4 weeks - so yet another deposit schedule I had to factor into things !! (And tax credits increased as I also gained entitlement to a small amount of working tax credit.)

These days I only have a salary every week and the widows pension at the end of every month, so using a different account for outgoings continues to suit me best - and I can't see that ever changing now.
    Cheryl
  • Thankyou Siebrie and Frugaldom and to everyone’s post which are great for keeping me motivated :)
  • I have had a great year of debt clearance & Saving.

I love using budgeting and online banking apps, I check these daily and find using them a big motivation. Since using a budgeting app and setting up standing orders and direct debits for almost everything I have cleared all my debts and saved almost £7000 ,growing by £850 every payday . I'm a bit unusual in that I spend less when I pay by card rather than cash, I only withdraw cash to pay for travel and my hair cut and I always budget these cost in advance.
  • To avoid spending today I'm going to raid the cupboards for my tea and packed lunch for work. I'm determined to avoid shopping for lunches for work until next week.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have bought 2 tickets (for husband and I) to go see Hans Zimmer in concert. He wrote the music to Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator, Lion King, and many more films, and has re-written the music for symphonic orchestra, with lightshow. It is very expensive (to us): €65 each! But I am very much looking forward to it.

We will have food in the car for before and afterwards, and I will arrange sleepovers for dds (saving babysitting costs). We hardly ever go out together, and when we do, it's to free events, so this feels very much like a splurge!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Siebrie that sounds like an excellent evening's entertainment and I'm always pleased to see that frugal living is helping people get more enjoyment out of life while also helping to get out of debt and stay in the plus zone. :)

Frugaldom household is on a definite cupboard and fridge foraging month but I have done a fair-sized supermarket shop to keep us going until December. November, for me, is the free to join NaNoWriMo Challenge so I'm planning on completing that and then setting up our 2020 Frugal Living Challenge in time for the start of December. (Can hardly believe we are almost at the end of another year!) That will be 12 full years of our moneysaving, debt-busting challenges on MSE alone! If anyone has successfully cleared all their debts but still living the frugal lifestyle saving what they don't spend - how much could you have in the next 12 years? I think my question needs to be more akin to how many more rescued ponies can that feed? LOL
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport