Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • badger09
    • By badger09 19th Aug 19, 10:53 AM
    • 7,516Posts
    • 7,024Thanks
    badger09
    Wifi Connection Issues
    • 19th Aug 19, 10:53 AM
    Wifi Connection Issues 19th Aug 19 at 10:53 AM
    Hope someone can help.

Dell Inspiron 17R. New ZyXEL router from John Lewis BB installed recently, after multiple faults, was working ok.

Windows 10 update ‘successful’ 16/8.

Since then, laptop won’t connect to Wi-Fi. iPhones & iPad will connect but not automatically.

Yesterday, laptop connected but only after switching router off & on again (as suggested by troubleshooter). That doesn’t work today. Laptop will also not connect to iPhone using Wi-Fi personal hotspot.

There is another Windows update waiting but obviously I can’t connect to do it. I was hoping that would fix it, but could it be that I have to update the network driver?

I’m guessing the only way out of this is to use Ethernet. But could someone please talk me through the order of things to try. In non techie language if possible please

Thank you
    Last edited by badger09; 21-08-2019 at 4:13 PM. Reason: Thread title edited for clarity
Page 4
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 4:03 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    badger09
    Press the tiny reset button on the Router for fifteen seconds. You might need a pin or a toothpick in order to do so.
    Everything will be set to default and the details written on the Router should work once again.
    What is the model number of the Router?

This one? ; https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/zyxel/zyxel-vmg8924-b10a-factory-reset/

This one? https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/zyxel/zyxel-vmg8924-b30a-factory-reset/

Are you calling them on 0800 022 3300?
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    I did ask about a factory reset earlier but decided to speak to JL first.

Yes the first one is the model they sent

Yes 0800 022 3300
    • badger09
    • By badger09 21st Aug 19, 4:21 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    badger09
    Update
    Finally managed to speak to JL. They had no idea why some devices would connect but not others.

I factory reset router so I can now access the settings.

Settings were:

2.4Gh channel 13
    5G 36/80

On JL advice, changed to
    2.4Gh channel 1
    5G 40/80

I have no idea if these are optimum settings, but at least all devices (haven't reconnected Sky box yet) seem to be working.

I've also edited thread title as it wasn't a Windows update issue - just a coincidence

Thanks again to everyone who helped/tried to help.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Aug 19, 5:12 PM
    • 8,053 Posts
    • 7,855 Thanks
    DoaM
    Use a WiFi scanner (on your PC or an app on your phone) to see what local 2.4GHz WiFi networks are in your vicinity and what channels they use. Set your router to use the channel number that is quietest/has the lowest signal levels of nearby networks. Typical channels to use are 1, 6 and 11. Do likewise for the 5Ghz network.

Depending on your WiFi adaptor then channel 13 (which you were previously using) may have been problematic - e.g. adaptors conforming to the US FCC standards wouldn't even recognise channel 13.
    Last edited by DoaM; 21-08-2019 at 5:14 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 21st Aug 19, 5:30 PM
    • 9,231 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    I mentioned this to the JLBB tech helpline & they said not to worry, I'd never need to get in
    Originally posted by badger09
    JL Good for warranty , but not great at Tech perhaps. The problem may be caused by a location setting i.e. as US not UK since 13 is not used in the US
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • badger09
    • By badger09 21st Aug 19, 6:31 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    badger09
    Use a WiFi scanner (on your PC or an app on your phone) to see what local 2.4GHz WiFi networks are in your vicinity and what channels they use. Set your router to use the channel number that is quietest/has the lowest signal levels of nearby networks. Typical channels to use are 1, 6 and 11. Do likewise for the 5Ghz network.

Depending on your WiFi adaptor then channel 13 (which you were previously using) may have been problematic - e.g. adaptors conforming to the US FCC standards wouldn't even recognise channel 13.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Thanks, never heard of a wifi scanner but I'll find one and do that

JL Good for warranty , but not great at Tech perhaps. The problem may be caused by a location setting i.e. as US not UK since 13 is not used in the US
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Every day's a school day.

If you've read the whole thread, you'll see that until a couple of days ago, all devices were connecting fine. Something must have happened very recently to change that and I still have absolutely no idea what it as. However, I'm now better equipped to try and sort it out, thanks to this forum.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 21st Aug 19, 7:29 PM
    • 9,231 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    When you have a moment can you try these two commands in powershell at let me know what comes up

Get-WinHomeLocation
    Get-WinSystemLocale
    I get

Code:
    GeoId HomeLocation
    ----- ------------
      242 United Kingdom

LCID             Name             DisplayName                                                                                                                            
    ----             ----             -----------                                                                                                                            
     2057             en-GB            English (United Kingdom)
    To access powershell type powershell in the search box to the right of the windows button on the task bar and then click on it
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 21st Aug 19, 7:35 PM
    • 9,231 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Thanks, never heard of a wifi scanner but I'll find one and do that
    Search for wifi analyser (may be analyzer) in windows store

edit

Why not Wifi Analyzer(by matt hafner) from the microsoft store to look at the wifi
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 21st Aug 19, 8:41 PM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    If the password for your Router interface is admin : 1234 or password
    then it's time to change that password.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 22nd Aug 19, 10:11 AM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    badger09
    When you have a moment can you try these two commands in powershell at let me know what comes up

Get-WinHomeLocation
    Get-WinSystemLocale
    I get

Code:
    GeoId HomeLocation
    ----- ------------
      242 United Kingdom

LCID             Name             DisplayName                                                                                                                            
    ----             ----             -----------                                                                                                                            
     2057             en-GB            English (United Kingdom)
    To access powershell type powershell in the search box to the right of the windows button on the task bar and then click on it
    I get the same.
    No idea what it means though & probably don't need to know.

Search for wifi analyser (may be analyzer) in windows store

edit

Why not Wifi Analyzer(by matt hafner) from the microsoft store to look at the wifi
    I got that one last night and the only network it found was mine. This morning it says 'Disconnected', when clearly, I'm not disconnected.

I also downloaded Net Analyzer on iphone, but that only seems to tell me about my network.

TBH, I'm not sure there's much point anyway, as there are only two other houses anywhere near me.

If the password for your Router interface is admin : 1234 or password
    then it's time to change that password.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    That was the first thing I did yesterday .
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 22nd Aug 19, 10:28 AM
    • 9,231 Posts
    • 6,935 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    I get the same.
    No idea what it means though & probably don't need to know.

Just wondering if it was US hence channel 13 not working ... at least you can now get into your router.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 24th Aug 19, 11:59 AM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    badger09
    Guess what?
    Yesterday afternoon 23/8, I lost internet 3 times.

Phoned JL during 3rd outage and Tech Support said it wasn't even letting him run a test so he has reported the fault to BT - AGAIN.

It's already dropped twice (that I'm aware of) this morning.

I'm getting seriously fed up now
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 24th Aug 19, 3:12 PM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Yesterday afternoon 23/8, I lost internet 3 times.

Phoned JL during 3rd outage and Tech Support said it wasn't even letting him run a test so he has reported the fault to BT - AGAIN.

It's already dropped twice (that I'm aware of) this morning.

I'm getting seriously fed up now
    JL Broadband is actually a Plusnet product, who in turn are owned by BT.

Seems that you are not alone; https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5808757#15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,178Posts Today

10,642Users online

Martin's Twitter