Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • badger09
    • By badger09 19th Aug 19, 10:53 AM
    • 7,520Posts
    • 7,031Thanks
    badger09
    Wifi Connection Issues
    • 19th Aug 19, 10:53 AM
    Wifi Connection Issues 19th Aug 19 at 10:53 AM
    Hope someone can help.

Dell Inspiron 17R. New ZyXEL router from John Lewis BB installed recently, after multiple faults, was working ok.

Windows 10 update ‘successful’ 16/8.

Since then, laptop won’t connect to Wi-Fi. iPhones & iPad will connect but not automatically.

Yesterday, laptop connected but only after switching router off & on again (as suggested by troubleshooter). That doesn’t work today. Laptop will also not connect to iPhone using Wi-Fi personal hotspot.

There is another Windows update waiting but obviously I can’t connect to do it. I was hoping that would fix it, but could it be that I have to update the network driver?

I’m guessing the only way out of this is to use Ethernet. But could someone please talk me through the order of things to try. In non techie language if possible please

Thank you
    Last edited by badger09; 21-08-2019 at 4:13 PM. Reason: Thread title edited for clarity
Page 3
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Aug 19, 10:52 AM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 4,015 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Also, rather than using support assist, actually go to device manager, RIGHT click on the wifi adapter and choose 'update driver' and let it search for one on internet.

If it comes back and says the best driver is already installed then fair enough - but please try that first.

(make sure you have a reliable internet connection before you do this (ethernet) , or it will just tell you the best one is installed anyway)
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 20th Aug 19, 11:10 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Oh bleep!!!

I just set this update going this morning without reading this thread first!!

I may be back if I encounter problems.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 11:13 AM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    Is it a set time that they will connect for and then disconnect ?
    Is there any pattern to it ?

ie it will stay connected for x minutes every time ?

Or is it just random ?

If it is other devices too then it does point to an issue with the router - but your opening comment that this has only been happening since a windows update muddy the waters
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Sorry

As I said, I've had multiple problems over several months. Wifi connection on laptop would randomly drop, several times a day, no discernable pattern

These appeared to all have been fixed but after I did Windows 10 update on 16/8, I started having connection problems again - so I thought it might be that. On 18/8 I managed to connect laptop after switching router off & on again. Husband's iphone would connect & Sky box was connected.

Since yesterday 19/8, neither the laptop nor husband's old iphone will connect, although they both see the network. Sky box also disconnected.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 11:16 AM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    Oh bleep!!!

I just set this update going this morning without reading this thread first!!

I may be back if I encounter problems.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Don't stress too much Sea Shell. I've uninstalled 2 of the updates (wasn't able to uninstall the security one) and I'm still having problems, so I'm now pretty sure the 2 are not linked.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Aug 19, 11:20 AM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 4,015 Thanks
    AndyPix
    OK so it looks like the update thing was just a coincidence then as this is a cross device issue.

Hmmm, but actually , didn't you say that your laptop wouldn't connect to your phones hotspot either ?

So , try updating the driver for wifi card through device manager first (just to finally rule this out)
    Next, log onto your router (let us know if you need help doing this) and change the wifi channel .. It's probly on channel 11 now , change it 1 or 6

Reboot the router and see what happens
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 11:22 AM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    Also, rather than using support assist, actually go to device manager, RIGHT click on the wifi adapter and choose 'update driver' and let it search for one on internet.

If it comes back and says the best driver is already installed then fair enough - but please try that first.

(make sure you have a reliable internet connection before you do this (ethernet) , or it will just tell you the best one is installed anyway)
    Just done that - 'The best drivers for your device are already installed'

If I click on Windows updates it just tells me about the Win 10 updates I uninstalled yesterday
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Aug 19, 11:25 AM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 4,015 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Ok, next stop - router wifi channel
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 11:26 AM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    OK so it looks like the update thing was just a coincidence then as this is a cross device issue.

Agreed

Hmmm, but actually , didn't you say that your laptop wouldn't connect to your phones hotspot either ?

Correct

So , try updating the driver for wifi card through device manager first (just to finally rule this out)

Done/not nec

Next, log onto your router (let us know if you need help doing this) and change the wifi channel .. It's probly on channel 11 now , change it 1 or 6

Yes please. I know I've done it before but can't remember how

Reboot the router and see what happens
    answers in red
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 11:41 AM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    I've remembered how to do this.

However, and I promise this is not a wind up! When the 2 BT engineers spent all morning here trying to solve my earlier problems, one of them changed the router log in details. Eventually he did a factory reset, but now the defaults don't work so I can't get in!

I mentioned this to the JLBB tech helpline & they said not to worry, I'd never need to get in

Should I now try a factory reset on the router? I'm reaching the end of my rope but am so grateful for your patience
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Aug 19, 11:41 AM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 4,015 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Open CMD and type ipconfig /all

In the list, find 'default gateway' and make a note of the ip address

Open a browser, and type in the address bar

http://ipaddress

Obviously substitute the word ipaddress for the one that you found next to 'default gateway'

The admin username and password should be written on the router somewhere
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Aug 19, 11:43 AM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 4,015 Thanks
    AndyPix
    If you factory reset it you might lose the details needed for it to connect to your service..

What did they have to change in there to 'solve your earlier problems' ?

If this is not a default set up then I suspect your issues are going to lurk in there somewhere

edit: why on earth would they change the admin creds ? that makes no sense to me
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 12:09 PM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    Open CMD and type ipconfig /all

In the list, find 'default gateway' and make a note of the ip address

Open a browser, and type in the address bar

http://ipaddress

Obviously substitute the word ipaddress for the one that you found next to 'default gateway'

The admin username and password should be written on the router somewhere
    FFS I think I'm going mad. I switched router off then back on again and laptop is connected. Obviously relieved, but no idea what the problem was or if/when its going to happen again!

The default username & password are written in the John Lewis set up booklet. However, they don't work

If you factory reset it you might lose the details needed for it to connect to your service..

What did they have to change in there to 'solve your earlier problems' ?

If this is not a default set up then I suspect your issues are going to lurk in there somewhere

edit: why on earth would they change the admin creds ? that makes no sense to me
    TBH I have no idea what they changed in the router to get me set up. All I know is the 2nd 'expert' couldn't get it to work & eventually spoke to JL tech support. I have no idea what he did. One engineer was here all morning, 2nd over 2 hours. Made no sense to me either. All I know is I can't now access router settings as either password or username or both, (default) are incorrect
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Aug 19, 12:15 PM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 4,015 Thanks
    AndyPix
    OK I think that now it is determined that the OP is inaccurate, and it isn't the W10 update that has caused this - coupled with the fact that there were obviously some 'shenanigans' getting the thing set up and on top of that you don't even have the router creds , I think I have to bow out of this now and suggest you get them back in to continue their work of giving you a stable connection..

If it is kit that they have provided then I would suggest its down to them to get it to work for you and you shouldn't have to be resorting to internet forums
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 12:21 PM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    OK I think that now it is determined that the OP is inaccurate, and it isn't the W10 update that has caused this - coupled with the fact that there were obviously some 'shenanigans' getting the thing set up and on top of that you don't even have the router creds , I think I have to bow out of this now and suggest you get them back in to continue their work of giving you a stable connection..

If it is kit that they have provided then I would suggest its down to them to get it to work for you and you shouldn't have to be resorting to internet forums

I agree this is a problem John Lewis need to sort out. They provided the new router, on advice from 1st engineer on earlier visit, who couldn't fix the BB issues. Then it took another visit from 2 of them to get it sorted.

But they haven't finally sorted it as I'm still having connection problems. I'll monitor it today but the next time it disconnects I'll phone them.

I usually hang out on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts and Savings & Investments fora. If I can return the favour - I owe you several hours.

Thank you again Andy
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Aug 19, 12:21 PM
    • 35,280 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Whatever the router login details are you should know them or you should be told what they were by the engineer.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 12:27 PM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    Whatever the router login details are you should know them or you should be told what they were by the engineer.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Agreed.................
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 12:32 PM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    Spoke too soon.

Going to phone them now
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 12:38 PM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    Really couldn't make this up.

JL say their systems are down. She has promised to call back when they're up & running
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Aug 19, 3:28 PM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    badger09
    Paranoia is now setting in.

12.32 I phoned John Lewis and was told their systems were down. Promised a call back when up & running. Had that promise before & no callback.

14.11 I received a recorded SCAM message re missed call from ISP, would be disconnected in 24 hours. This happened once before after I'd been in contact with JL. We don't get many scam calls & don't usually answer unknown numbers.

14.49 I phoned JL again - system still down.
    15.15 got another identical SCAM call

Is this just a coincidence?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 20th Aug 19, 3:38 PM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 1,495 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Paranoia is now setting in.

12.32 I phoned John Lewis and was told their systems were down. Promised a call back when up & running. Had that promise before & no callback.

14.11 I received a recorded SCAM message re missed call from ISP, would be disconnected in 24 hours. This happened once before after I'd been in contact with JL. We don't get many scam calls & don't usually answer unknown numbers.

14.49 I phoned JL again - system still down.
    15.15 got another identical SCAM call

Is this just a coincidence?
    Originally posted by badger09
    Press the tiny reset button on the Router for fifteen seconds. You might need a pin or a toothpick in order to do so.
    Everything will be set to default and the details written on the Router should work once again.
    What is the model number of the Router?

This one? ; https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/zyxel/zyxel-vmg8924-b10a-factory-reset/

This one? https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/zyxel/zyxel-vmg8924-b30a-factory-reset/

Are you calling them on 0800 022 3300?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,316Posts Today

7,741Users online

Martin's Twitter