UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Options

Comments

• richardc1983
    Options
    cazz04 wrote: »
    Thank you, glad to here the high winds will not cause problems but possible PCB doesn't sound like a quick fix.

They are designed for the elements but if the install team did not screw a cover on properly then they are liable.

If your landlord is slow in dealing with this then you should speak with the council who may be able to intervene and push things forward with your landlord.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Dal_Whinnie
    Options
    This is a very interesting thread, Thankyou. I have had a phone call this morning wanting to arrange an energy inspection under the Government Renewable Heat Incentive scheme and about installing an Air Source Heat Pump.

I am always very nervous about these calls but am interested in reducing energy costs and using renewables so should I proceed with this offer?
  • helpjack
    Options
    Dal Whinnie

Please don't respond to an unsolicited call. The technology is still being developed there are lots of opportunities for very costly mistakes. If you are interested do your research and find your own recommended company.

The company I used were very experienced and still made mistakes which is costing me a small fortune to sort out now as they dissolved themselves to avoid dealing with it.

Do you have gas already. If you do then just stick with that.

In my situation, I needed to install a heating system anyway and as there was no gas where I lived and an ASHP seemed a good choice. The RHI is just a bonus. It is not worth changing an existing functioning system for.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    This is a very interesting thread, Thankyou. I have had a phone call this morning wanting to arrange an energy inspection under the Government Renewable Heat Incentive scheme and about installing an Air Source Heat Pump.

I am always very nervous about these calls but am interested in reducing energy costs and using renewables so should I proceed with this offer?

Gas is still cheaper per unit than electricity in this country anyway. However a heat pump produces more heat per kw than a gas boiler does but the cost of gas is what wins.

If you have mains gas stick with that if your boiler is very old then a heat pump would be more efficient.

Certainly do not respond to cold callers.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 February 2019 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Do not respond to cold callers and do not be persuaded to get one installed before doing your own research and making sure you thoroughly understand how they work, how the system should be designed and how to operate them efficiently before getting quotes from reputable MCS registered installers.

Don't think that an ASHP is cheaper to run than a mains gas boiler, it isn't. Neither will it just replace the boiler on an exsiting system.

It's unlikely that the existing radiators are properly sized to allow the heat pump to run efficiently so unless the whole system is redesigned to suit the heat pumps characteristics, you will be very disappointed with the performance and even more disappointed with the increased costs of running the system.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Therooster100
    Options
    Hi all,
    Looking into Air Source Heat Pump as the house (3 story 5 bedroom with 2 people living there) is fully electric as no gas in the area.
    I have tried finding some reliable installers but it is proving difficult. Where is the best place to look?
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    Looking into Air Source Heat Pump as the house (3 story 5 bedroom with 2 people living there) is fully electric as no gas in the area.
    I have tried finding some reliable installers but it is proving difficult. Where is the best place to look?

What area are you in?
  • matelodave
    Options
    without too much effort I typed Air Source Heat Pump Installers into Google and got well over 20 who would service the area that I live in. A couple more clicks to enter my post code and I would have narrowed it down a bit further.

I'd advise that you do your research first - do your own heat calculations so you've got some idea of the heating requirement for your house (even look at your EPC if you've got one) so you've got some idea of what size unit you require. Look at the heat requirement for each room as well, remembering that radiators have to be properly sized to take advantage of the lower flow temperatures.

Get several quotes at least three, ideally more to compare specifications before just comparing prices. Investigate those that are significantly different. Compare unit size, configuration, radiator sizes and heating calculations. Do lots of research so you know how they work and how to use them - check on the MCS website and make sure that you get a full breakdown of what you are being offered.

When you are satisfied that offered specifications do cover your requirements then you can compare prices and installers.

An underpowered unit may cost less to install but wont do the job and will cost you dearly in running costs, especially if it has to use the boost/back-up heaters. Likewise a slightly oversized one might cost more initially. I'd err on the slightly too big rather than too small.
  • matelodave
    Options
    Ethan75 wrote: »
    Air source heat pumps.
    An air source heat pump (ASHP) is a system which transfers heat from outside to inside a building or vice versa.

??????????????????? and ???????
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    ??????????????????? and ???????

Words and pictures haha
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback