PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have the house pretty much to myself for the next 5 weeks - OH has gone on his annual 'trip of a lifetime' pursuing his extreme sport. DD1 will be dropping in en route to her next international destination at some time....not sure when or for how long... So I have emptied DD1 bedroom which has become a spare room into the dining room. The contents of one shed into the conservatory.The contents of the office into the living room....I can live the 'organised chaos' :) I find it easier to deal with all if I can see it all IYSWIM. The only thing I have taken from KM, apart from an organised knicker draw, is does it "spark joy". I am like Greent and GQ and others on here, in that I feel very strongly about disposing of things responsibly.....recycling and reusing as much as poss :) I will also be selling a great deal on FB Eb*y and my next NCT sale:) I am downsizing all my work related stuff too....teacher....accumulate so much 'useful stuff' part of that is also I am fed up of subsiding employer:mad::mad:

Lots to do!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    I...... I am downsizing all my work related stuff too....teacher....accumulate so much 'useful stuff' part of that is also I am fed up of subsiding employer :mad::mad:

Lots to do!

When I applied for early retirement I spent the rest of the year gradually sorting my classroom and home work space so that I wasn't supplying free storage to the school any longer :).

I dread to think how much I'd spent on things that were needed but not provided - most of the pupils were grateful, the management took it for granted.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks GQ. I'll toddle into the local chazzers and find out their policy
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 October 2018 at 1:25PM
    Options
    DD1 didn't have proper warm pyjamas in her shoebox anymore, so I popped up to the attic to find a pair or 3. I took the time to quickly sort through the 60-ish pyjamas and nightgowns we have up there. A few went to the donation bag (too small, too sexy, too not-nice). I managed to team up quite a few pants and tops. They are given to me over several months, as the mothers go through the wardrobes and just take out anything that is too small; pyjamas don't necessarily come in the same bag or even the same month.

The three summer nighties went from the shoebox into the attic.

Husband brought home a large container (like a plastic oil drum) so that we can ship stuff to his relatives in Africa again.

We received another 2 bags full of clothes and shoes from a schoolfriend. This time, there was a (nearly) new bathing suit in dd1's size included!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Nice one, Siebrie!

I'm on leave just for today and am pootling and erranding this morning and gardening this afternoon, enjoying lovely sunny autumn weather, ever more precious because you know the days are shortening.

Have returned two library books, including one I finished this morning, called How Much Is Enough; the case for the good life by Robert Skidelsky and Edward Skidelsky.

An interesting read, tracing the history of the concept of the good life from classical times to the present, and even pointing out that famous economists like Keynes thought that we'd reach the point of enoughness, whereupon we would almost cease consuming, work less and live more. And how commerce and advertising have given us the turbo-chargeed capitalism and hyper-consumerism which is driving this planet to the edge and a lot of us to the edge of reason.

Paired with another library book, Cait Flanders' The Year of Less, it has been an interesting few days in the reading world. I highly commend both of them.

I will be swinging by a pal's home on the way up to the allotments to deliver some firewood and a couple of other things into her porch, she will be at her workplace but is expecting them. The wood was cut into firewood lengths by me and is very ancient and tired fenceposts, too rotten to be repurposed, which have been cut and stored in a plastic dustbin on the lottie for months. I shall get them down to her place a little at a time for the open fire.

The donation bag sits as ever in the corner of the sitting-room and gets things added to it as they sift to the surface and are identified as surplus to requirements.

Righty, quick internet surflette whilst drinking tea, early lunch (leftovers) then out and about for a few hours. Have a good day, everyone.:)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you fancy dropping some into my porch too GQ? :)

DD1 finally completed and moved on Friday so we now have the house and garage back. I've spent most of the weekend cleaning and reorganising and feel the house is now back to normal...the garage on the other hand is a nightmare. Several bits of furniture she didn't want are still in there so I need to hoik them out and photograph them and sell them on and then have a really good tidy. All our fire wood is stacked at the back in the large crates that paving stones come in - really big and heavy duty and there's 4 stacked full of lovely dry wood, I just can't get to any of it! Hopefully tomorrow will be dry and I can start getting sorted in there.

So not only did I kondo a child but 3 carrier bags of books, clothes and CDs left the house this morning, there was a jigsaw puzzle board too (passed along to us by a relative) and that was handed over in the charity shop, priced, put out and sold before we left! Quick turn around!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »
    there was a jigsaw puzzle board too (passed along to us by a relative) and that was handed over in the charity shop, priced, put out and sold before we left! Quick turn around!

Wow! - that's fab! :j

Sorted a carrier bag of mainly toiletries for the local homeless project - saw an appeal and a collection point has been started in the local smkt. Good way to get rid of (usefully) the excess men's toiletries/ shaving stuff we build up, plus more hotel and airline stuff plus the thick walking socks which DD doesn't like (bought for DoE and never worn again)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »
    If you fancy dropping some into my porch too GQ? :)
    :D I suspect half a carrier bagful won't go very far!

It was great at the lotties, I co-incidentally arrived at the same time as three other women, all pals. Two are retired and the other two, including me, just had the day off, and we were as happy as larry.

I have decluttered the soil of seven cutworms and two wireworms, onto the birdtable, and returned a book to a lottie pal.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    Thought this might be of interest,

Sail Hughes has an article in the Guardian about her new Beauty banks charity (it's still up, can't do links on tablet)

It's about giving people access to basic toiletries they can't afford, working with companies as well as individuals donating.

There are details in the article about how to donate, so if you have some spare it's a good home for it.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thought this might be of interest,

Sail Hughes has an article in the Guardian about her new Beauty banks charity (it's still up, can't do links on tablet)

It's about giving people access to basic toiletries they can't afford, working with companies as well as individuals donating.

There are details in the article about how to donate, so if you have some spare it's a good home for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/oct/06/beauty-banks-help-people-too-poor-to-buy-toothpaste-tampons-sali-hughes
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport