Would you sell to rent?

Poll Started 22 September: Sell to rent? Put yourself in this scenario. You have a house in London, where prices are coming down slightly. It is currently valued at £200,000. You want to move to the countryside and buy a house for a similar value. Would you?

A. Wait, London won't drop more, but maybe the countryside will
B. Sell up, rent for a while to cash in on the London prices, as you think prices will drop everywhere.
C. Sell and buy straight away, at least I'll own my home.
D. Not got a clue, who can predict the market?
E. Something else entirely
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    C cos where's this countryside.just outside London,further up North ,Scotland ???
    So what if London drops & countryside rises ???
  • I think we are seeing an acceleration in people buying in areas that are "nice" seaside, country, hills, villages, etc It has been happening for years but has increased because of peoples obsession with lifestyle issues & percieved crime in cities - so I would get a foot hold in the country but not spend too much in case prices dropped or the move didnt go as planned
  • Am thinking about doing B myself, as I plan to trade up next time. Would be nice to think that I could buy a bigger place for the same amount in a couple of years time!

An economist recommended selling-to-rent a while ago, before prices really went thru the roof. It's an interesting idea, but carries plenty of risk, particularly if you do it purely for profit (ie, you buy the same kind of house, same area) as there are all the fees associated with buying / selling a house.
  • I live in a town outside of London - currently trying to move but not further out of town. My feeling is, stay put for now, don't really need a bigger house, and wait for the market to settle.

The house has doubled in value anyway, and there is no way you will see that kind of drop at the moment.

Unfortunately I live in a high popular town, not enough houses around the centre.
    Aitchy
  • Below are the results to our previous poll. Thanks to the 1059 participants who took part in this poll.

Poll Started 22 September: Sell to rent? Put yourself in this scenario. You have a house in London, where prices are coming down slightly. It is currently value at £200,000. You want to move to the countryside and buy a house for a similar value. Would you?

C. Sell and buy straight away, at least i'll own my home. 41.4% - (439 Votes)
    B. Sell up, rent for a while to cash in on the London prices, as you think prices will drop everywhere. 29.5% - (313 Votes)
    D. Not got a clue, who can predict the market? 13.1% - (139 Votes)
    A. Wait, London won't drop more, but maybe the countryside will 10.1% - (107 Votes)
    E. Something else entirely 5.4% - (58 Votes)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories