Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    mine has started with great intentions but OMG - what a mess.

Maybe mine isn't right.

My paste is all lumpy, my balloon is moving all over the place and my paper kept breaking in the paste.

is this normal?

thank god i tried it first time when DS was in bed.

:D I can just imagine the giggles from the kitchen in the middle of the night!! If you are using the flour and water paste then it can be watered down a little - like wallpaper paste. I tear the paper into strips and then use a pastry brush to coat the strips one at a time. Before even starting with the balloon, I sellotape the legs (bits of egg carton/toilet roll tube/small yoghurt pots whatever) onto the balloon and make sure it stands up alright. If it gets top heavy or off balance then I know where to add more weight next layer. I find it easiest to start at the bottom (umm... not literally :rotfl: ) I mean start at the base with the paper strips and cover the underneath parts, sticking the pasted paper strips over and around the legs. This gives it a bit extra weight and helps it to stay in the one place rather than rolling all over the table or floor. Be careful not to burst the balloon with the cellotape or edges of the cartons at this stage.

Lumpy paste - I'd just get the mixer into it and beat the lumps out :D Perhaps do this before DS goes to bed, though. Good luck and have fun :T
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • As an extra note - the splitting of paper and the lumpiness may have someting to do with the balloon naturally deflating over time so try and put an extra layer on every night so that the shape starts to hold itself.

Maybe this would happen if too many layers were put on at once too...??

Anyway, it doesn't matter really - just blow up a new balloon and start again!
    Piggypoints - 207+£10 * Quidco - £95 * Tesco - 1095 * Sainsbugs - 4237
    :DI SHALL be debt free!!!!!:D
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just resurrecting this thread ready for start of sealed pot challenge 2009
  • Just skim read this thread, very interesting thanks.
  • This looks very interesting, I must have a go, how strong are the pigs once their dry, and are they good pressies for anyone?
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • Candy0107
    Candy0107 Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Last year I bought a Terramundi for the Sealed Pot Challenge - then I saw everyone else's home made efforts and got sealed pot envy.

I will soon be making a pig for Sealed Pot 2009 - Thanks for the recipe for paper mache.

Thanks
    Candy xxx
    Debts at the start of my journey - about £23,000 lightbulb moment 01.03.2007 (1st payment to CCCS)..Debt Free Date 25.06.2013 Deposit savings £17,000/£30,000
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    This looks very interesting, I must have a go, how strong are the pigs once their dry, and are they good pressies for anyone?

The strength of these depends on how many layers of paper, how well 'glued' they are and how dry they are kept. The pig in my avatar is almost a year old and is doing fine, but he'll be subjected to surgical incision on 1st December for removal of all spare change. :rotfl: And yes, these make great presents :D

I've just decided that we're going to go with the 'snake draught excluder' idea as this year's 'speciality' after reading about them here. If anyone else fancies joining me (apparently you can save £30 on energy bills over a year by excluding door draughts) then feel free to start stitching and stuffing then show off your masterpieces here. :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • just bumping :)
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Fantastic thread.

I remember making a papier mache pig at junior school :D

Projects for next weekend....make a sealed pot and a snake, although with the drafts that howl around this house, I think several snakes may be needed.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Eight Papier Mache pigs made !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats 7 christmas pressies and one for me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure