PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Options

Comments

• oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya AA :j

I have bought Quorn mince for years now ( since the BSE scare ) and at first it was different but we have just got used to it. The only answer that I can give on your questions is that it is very low in fat compared to meat however it soaks up fat. So if you normally brown your meat mince in veg oil with onions you will find that veggie mince soaks up the fat and can catch on the bottom of the pan if you are not careful. Yes it is tasteless so you have to put the flavour in, I make spag bol, lasagne, chilli etc and if we are just having mince and mash I add a tin of heinz mulligatawnay soup to it to add extra flavour instead of a stock cube ( tastes georgeous )
    hope this helps :)
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    You have to be careful that it is not made with GM soya, but otherwise AFAIK it is okay. I too find that it is tasteless but what I sometimes do is mix it half and half with real mince and add an extra stock cube. When done like this I can never even tell that there is soya in it. DD1 is veggie and I sometimes make stuff from scratch for her with it but if I do I usually marinate it overnight in some soy, marmite and tomato puree before I cook with it.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • mentat_2
    mentat_2 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    My fiance is yeast tolerant and a vegetarian, so was this mince yeast free and not made from mushrooms?

If it it I'll try and get some - ouldn't find any in my sainsbury's (quite a big one), so ended up buying adzuki beans instead.

:confused:
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I add it to mince to make it go further. Soak it for a little while in water/stock and then add to the pot. I can't see or taste the difference between them once it's all cooked. I've never tried to have the TVP on it's own so can't help you there.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use this. When I remember to buy it as I don't shop in sainburys very often and my local one does not stock it.

I use it spag bog and once it has absorbed the pasta sauce I can't really tell.

But I do sometimes mix half and half just to make the mince go a bit further.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • aimeelister
    aimeelister Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    I always make my soya mince up with 2 stock cubes in the water, it gives it much more flavour. If your not vegie use a beef stock cube for the best taste.
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Another good substitute which has the benefit of actually tasting of something is "Beanfeast" several varieties are available.

HTH
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I'm not sure if you bought dry TVP or frozen? I tend to get the frozen simply because it's less preparation time, ie you can just bung it in whatever yr making and it absorbs the liquid in there. Have used the dry stuff before but found it more chewy in texture. The frozen stuff seems to be picking up in popularity - have been using it for a few years now and it's constantly being "new and improved" and now it tastes better than it ever has.

In answer to yr questions...

1. It tends to be made from soya with various flavourings so nothing too dodgy as far as I know. And also nothing dodgy re: production, though is good to know that processed soya doesn't contain the goodness that other soya products do simply because it is so processed.

2. It does start out quite tasteless as it's meant to absorb the flavour of what it's cooked with, similar to tofu. A good helping of herbs, veggie stock and so on is great, also making sure it has plenty of liquid to absorb helps too - I always make sure I put the juice in from tins of tomatoes as this gives it a nice flavour. Can't comment about the similarity to 'real' mince though as I literally haven't had that for about 15 years!

3. Again, can't help much re: calorific value compared to meat, though soya is a great source of protein generally and I use it as a 'protein food' in my diet. Just checked the nutritional values and it says it contains 30g of protein per 100g if that's any help?

We use it in pasta sauces and chillis, I find that if you bulk out the sauce with vegetables and beans then you don't need to use an awful lot of TVP thus making it go even further.
    Dealing with my debts!
    Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
    balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
    Now @ 703.63
  • astep70uk
    astep70uk Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    Where will I find the 60p TVP in Sainsburys?
    Is it dried or frozen,and is it Sainsburys own brand?

I don't usually shop in Sainsburys but will make a trip to find some of this.
    Thanks
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You can get TVP from holland and barratts. It is dried and you can get mince or chunks. I use the chunks in stews and curries and mince in bolognese. I use it as I like things that use mince but mince does not like me.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport