Great job opportunity - pointless taking it.

Options
Jaypsarticus
Jaypsarticus Posts: 31 Forumite
edited 10 July 2019 at 5:41PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Afternoon Folks,

Comments

• Yellow_mango
    Yellow_mango Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will the adjustment not mean that you finish the IPA much sooner?
  • Jaypsarticus
    edited 10 July 2019 at 5:41PM
    Options
    No the IPA is not a fixed amount, i
  • terrence45
    terrence45 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Why did you sign an IPA for such a paltry sum of money? Never sign an IPA of less than £100!!!
  • Jaypsarticus
    Options
    Terrance? that does not make any sense? You dont sign up for an IPA , They are given to you based on your expenditures and income?
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    But wouldn't it be reviewed and you have higher outgoings due to moving?

Look at the bigger picture, it's a job you want and have been waiting for, it may not be available in 2 years. Would you regret not going for it?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Jaypsarticus
    Options
    It is a good job and worth going for but the risks of working in the offshore oil industry are very high - hence the great wage. The time spent away from home is unsociable and people only do it for the high wage at the end so it seems pointless to go and not benefit from the wage. My expenditures will go down if anything as i wont have the high fuel bill because i will get a travel allowance. Its all very confusing. Its so disheartening as i dont want to tell my boss that I am on an IPA and he wont understand why i am turning it down . Shame really. In a world where good jobs are scare, i have not much option other than to turn it done and hope for another opportunity at a later date.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why don't you take the job, see it as a chance to pay more of what you are due and then benefit from having taking the job after 2 years?
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Jaypsarticus
    Options
    Hi Thrifty, If it was a case of clearing the IPA sooner i would defo do that but its not, i only have to pay £1500 as it stand until the end of my IPA but if they increase my payments due to the higher wage to nearly £2000 then it will be nearly £24000 i have to pay back . the Job is only contracted for 2 years so prob wont continue after my IPA has Ended so it will all have been for nothing really other than experience!
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    What do you want us to say?

Just tell us, we'll repeat it and you'll get what you want to hear.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • SarahDoe
    SarahDoe Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    How quick do you have to give an answer to your employer?
    Is there any family member who could step in and offer to clear the outstanding IPA, provided that your case is closed (not just NIL payments)? Obviously this is not guaranteed, that OR agrees, but it is definitely worth a try.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure