Freeview without an aerial

Is there a way of getting Freeview without an aerial? My aerial is broken, and my landlord wont pay for repair/replace, and I don't really want to pay either, an indoor aerial is no good.. Is there any way I can use my internet? Legally I may add

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 July 2019 at 12:14PM
    No, Freeview is through a terrestrial aerial only. Many of the channels do have catchup (and some live) content online of course.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 July 2019 at 11:56AM
    There is certainly a lot of Freeview available free of charge over the Internet, as a mix of catch-up and live.

BBC iPlayer - live & catch-up.

ITV Hub - ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITVBe. Live & catch-up

All4 - C4, E4, More4, 47, Walter Presents. Catch-up only.

My5 - C5, 5Spike, 5USA, and a bundle of other channels. Catch-up only.

UKTV Player - Dave, Drama and Yesterday. Catch-up only

Food Network - clips only.

Quest OD - selected catch-up & Live.

Commercial catch-up does not require a TV Licence. iPlayer and commercial live streaming does require a TV Licence.
  • Trains
    Trains Posts: 259 Forumite
    TVPlayer is an Internet television company serving the United Kingdom, offering access to free live television channel streams using a web browser or application software via big screen and small screen mobile devices.

https://tvplayer.com
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Get a firestick from Amazon £39.00, it will give you all the channels and many more,will also turn your tv into a Smart TV.
  • shorty35
    shorty35 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I had a similar issue. I got an indoor aerial from Amazon and it worked fine. I was able to get HD channels as well.

I think there are a few types depending on your location. Do a google search there is a Which how to Buy an indoor aerial.
  • mobileron
    Forget the aerial,today its all about streaming,provide you have decent broadband, the firestick will be the best option.
  • Garyswork2
    Garyswork2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    I agree. You can get Freeview by streaming, but this usually requires a Smart TV or or a Chrome stick of some kind. At the moment only a few of the catch up services offer live streaming, the main one being iPlayer, although there are plenty of sites if your TV's web browser supports them, just Google TV Live UK TV streaming or similar, that's how I watch UK TV on holiday.

The way I do it at home however is via DLNA streaming, that's local streaming across devices at home. i.e. I have a Smart TV with twin Freeview tuners (currently every Panasonic OLED going and some older Panasonic LED's too). I know this because I have 4 of them around the house. This enables me to watch one of the tuners on the main TV and stream the 2nd tuner to one of my other 3 TV's. Or simply share the channel I'm watching to one of the 3 other TV's which still leaves me with a spare tuner to stream another channel. Basically 3 TV watching live TV at once with only one of them connected to an aerial.
  • mobileron
    Why are you making it complicated,a firestick will give all the freeview channels and more,plus all the catch up.
    You need a amazon firestick.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    shorty35 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue. I got an indoor aerial from Amazon and it worked fine. I was able to get HD channels as well.

I think there are a few types depending on your location. Do a google search there is a Which how to Buy an indoor aerial.

Problem is the OP says an indoor ariel is no good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure