Medical Evidence

Hello,

I just wondered if anyone had any advice about getting medical evidence. I went into my GP surgery a week ago and then said they would send me a letter but I haven’t received anything yet. Does this usually take a little while? I’m not sure if I should have contacted the consultant I saw at the hospital instead?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
FTB 2017 :D

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It might takeaway busy GP surgery more than a week to review your records and put together a good letter. You want them to take time over it, if this means they document everything they know about how your conditions affect you.

The is no harm asking the hospital consultant for a letter, providing they have some knowledge of how your condition affect you. If they are just going to write to confirm a diagnosis, this is not going to help any more than the GP's letter. If they were to write about some unusual or unexpected difficulty that all suffers from the condition will have; something beyond the knowledge a GP would have of the condition, this could be useful.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Caraway90
    Caraway90 Posts: 134 Forumite
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    It might takeaway busy GP surgery more than a week to review your records and put together a good letter. You want them to take time over it, if this means they document everything they know about how your conditions affect you.

The is no harm asking the hospital consultant for a letter, providing they have some knowledge of how your condition affect you. If they are just going to write to confirm a diagnosis, this is not going to help any more than the GP's letter. If they were to write about some unusual or unexpected difficulty that all suffers from the condition will have; something beyond the knowledge a GP would have of the condition, this could be useful.

Thank you for your reply, I shall wait a little longer before contacting my GP surgery again. Being a money saver I'd like to get some evidence as soon as possible to then enable me to, hopefully, apply for a disabled bus pass.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A disabled bus pass is very difficult to get unless you automatically qualify. The rules have changed a lot for this over the years. If you have a learning disability then a letter from the learning disabilities team will be needed.

Check the criteria of your local council by putting your postcode into this link. https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass
  • Caraway90
    Caraway90 Posts: 134 Forumite
    I believe I am eligible under this criteria:

“People who if they applied for a driving licence under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have this application refused under section 92 of the Act for a reason other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol”
    Taken from my local council’s website. If I am not then so be it, but no harm in trying if the financial help is available.
  • poppy12345
    Then evidence of the refusal of a driving license maybe needed.
  • poppy12345 wrote: »

When I had my DL taken off me 21 years ago because of my epilepsy they wrote to me confirming this I kept the letter and provide a copy each time my bus pass is up for renewal (every 5 years).
  • poppy12345
    venison wrote: »
    When I had my DL taken off me 21 years ago because of my epilepsy they wrote to me confirming this I kept the letter and provide a copy each time my bus pass is up for renewal (every 5 years).
    Yes, that's exactly what i did when i lost my DL for the same reason about 18 years ago.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »

My local authority want new evidence of a refusal of driving licence every time I renew. PITA really because I have to go through DVLA medical which takes forever.
  • LinW13
    LinW13 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2019 at 12:44PM
    Hiya Caraway90,

I don't know what you applying for.

I have experience of PIP, where basically they want someone other than yourself to specifically state in writing as to HOW your disability affects you. I had loads of letters confirming my diagnosis, but had to ask my consultant to spell out what problems I had. Luckily, she is a lovely lady who was willing to oblige.

I had a face-to-face interview with a nurse. Her "evidence" was taken over what I had written. In short, I was assumed to be a liar.

Whatever it is you are applying for, please hit them with as much evidence as you can muster.

Best wishes,
    Lin
  • poppy12345
    LinW13 wrote: »
    Hiya Caraway90,

I don't know what you applying for.

I have experience of PIP, where basically they want someone other than yourself to specifically state in writing as to HOW your disability affects you. I had loads of letters confirming my diagnosis, but had to ask my consultant to spell out what problems I had. Luckily, she is a lovely lady who was willing to oblige.

I had a face-to-face interview with a nurse. Her "evidence" was taken over what I had written. In short, I was assumed to be a liar.

Whatever it is you are applying for, please hit them with as much evidence as you can muster.

Best wishes,
    Lin
    The OP was applying for a disabled bus pass. As it's been several weeks then they have hopefully now succeeded.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure