PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lolkat wrote: »

Though what I'm going to do with frozen broad beans(yuck) and frozen diced mango I'm not sure.

You could try a pate with the broad beans.

Defrost and throw in the food processor with a clove or two of garlic, salt and pepper, a bit of thyme, then drizzle in olive oil until
    it looks right. Lovely on crackers and No I dont like broad beans either.

Frozen mango is nice in curry, or make a chutney.
    Slimming World at target
  • 76rosie
    76rosie Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    spent 2.00 on whooopsies. used wombles but in the spirit. also updating signature.:beer:
    grocery challenge 9.86/60
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January 2013 at 8:48PM
    Options
    WOOHOO :j ive completed my first grocery challenge (i cant buy anything tomorrow as i wont have enough time). I spent £1.17 today on YS 50/50 rolls, i dont know why they were YS as the sell by date was 18th January, still they were half price at 55p for 8 rolls which will now last me over the weekend (or i wil make a bread and butter pudding if they start going dry). I also got some YS cheese reduced from £1.97 to 62p. And i thought i would try a packet of value custard at 7p. plus 10% off all of this. Not sure what its going to be like but nothing ventured nothing gained. So i have a grand sum of £3.21 left, which i was going to buy yoghurts with, but i will buy them on next weeks shopping list as ive got 2 left which should have been used by 13th (will they still be ok?? wooow! shall i treat myself with the left over money or put it towards next months challenge, i wonder....... Next months challenge starts 18th January with £68 for four weeks or £17 per week, which will include all food, drinks, toiletries and cleaning products. Just edited to say all YS, whoopsies etc were all healthy but one :D
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sent to DH to Ald* while he was out picking up DS. Just a few essentials in view of awful forecast for our part of the world towards the end of the week. Needed coffee, milk and eggs. Total spend £4.24.

PPxx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 January at 8:41PM
    Options
    WOOHOO :j ive completed my first grocery challenge (i cant buy anything tomorrow as i wont have enough time). I spent £1.17 today on YS 50/50 rolls, i dont know why they were YS as the sell by date was 18th January, still they were half price at 55p for 8 rolls which will now last me over the weekend (or i wil make a bread and butter pudding if they start going dry). I also got some YS cheese reduced from £1.97 to 62p. And i thought i would try a packet of value custard at 7p. plus 10% off all of this. Not sure what its going to be like but nothing ventured nothing gained. So i have a grand sum of £3.21 left, which i was going to buy yoghurts with, but i will buy them on next weeks shopping list as ive got 2 left which should have been used by 13th (will they still be ok?? wooow! shall i treat myself with the left over money or put it towards next months challenge, i wonder....... Next months challenge starts 18th January with £68 for four weeks or £17 per week, which will include all food, drinks, toiletries and cleaning products. Just edited to say all YS, whoopsies etc were all healthy but one :D

Great feeling isnt it your first one, I would keep the 3.21 until I found some whoopsies or a good offer to put into stock. Its possible that you could double it that way.
    Slimming World at target
  • loveasale
    loveasale Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still within my target this month-
    Has anyone berm to Asd* lately? They have an advert on TV saying lots at 50p?
    I'm afraid to go in , as I'm frightened I will spend loads! :eek:
    Just wondered if it worth going in just for the 50p items?
    :money: I will never be rich but I'm happy :rotfl:
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No spend day today :)

Made spaghetti with goats cheese, spring veg & chilli & lemon breadcrumbs tonight, it was delicious.

Had a good chat with OH last night, who really surprised me by saying he wants to try downgrading his brands of coke, crisps etc to save money for the wedding. I'm also going to do a smaller shop this week as don't need much, and I'll try in Ald* first before going to Mr M. Next month I intend to reduce the budget further, whereas before the proposal I had been intending to stick to £200 a month all year. But every extra £20 will count and pay for something nice on the wedding day :D

I will still buy free range meat (only eat it twice a week anyway) and fresh fruit/veg, and OH has said he still needs good coffee and razors lol, but apart from that I'll redouble the efforts to reduce the bill.

Tonight we're going to have a further budgeting chat and look at other ways we can save e.g. OH is quitting smoking (again) next week, and I will have to cut my (massive) "going out" budget a bit :(
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    she_who_can_not_cook Posts: 650 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2013 at 10:04PM
    Options
    katholicos wrote: »
    A well on the way to making my 2nd '30 day meal plan'.

I also want to start on a quick and easy pudding selection of recipes.

We don't usually eat puddings, but i think it might help DS cut down on the snacking in the evening/night.

i find that now i am back on my diet that after my evening meali like having a small bowl of cereal or nat yog it makes me feel i have had a treat
    65p spend today.
    finding it hard to stick to meal plans, bought a slow cooker from tesco on friday planning to use it tomorrow for the 1st time, to make sausage casserole.

i so love my slow cooker
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Re fruit corners:

Get a little tub with a lid. Fill 2/3 with natural yoghurt (the large value tubs are only about 45p)
    Pop some value muesli or granola in a food bag to sprinkle on the yoghurt at work.

:D

Less sugar and healthier too!
    (a banana would work just as well over the yogurt as a change now and then)

:)

If he likes the rice pudding ones, how about getting the tins of value rice puddings in. They are 17p a tin and will make up 2 tubs for work if not 3. Value peaches can be added to the tub. One tin will last 3 days if not kept in the tin in the fridge :)

i will try this as my evening treat thank you
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • jem1980
    jem1980 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Small spend of £6.80 today, in Ald* (sig updated):
    Polish 59p, dishwasher tablets (50pk): £2.69, OJ x2 @62p each, oats £1.29, raisins 99p
    Needed the oats and raisins for cookies, which have turned out really well.

The OJ was supposed to be orange squash, but apparently men don't read lists properly... ho hum!

Meal planning is going really well. I am completely determined to come in on budget even if the last week is hard.
    June GC 21st May - 20th June (£78/£200)
  • Lolkat
    Lolkat Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    A NSD today. Yay! We had a bit of menu trauma when i got home and realized that what i had planned for tea was still in the freezer. So onto tomorrow's meal we went.

A hint of caution for those as dim as me. If you are shopping from your cupboards and freezer, it's worth CHECKING the EXPIRY dates of the items you want to eat. I didn't know that dried rice could go off. Oops.

Having spotted the date, sniffed it and wrinkled my nose I had to rustle up an emergency alternative. So risotto made with barley instead of rice worked. Then i checked the dates on all my cupboards. Oh dear :(.

Even so, I still don't think I need to shop for food before next Monday. At least I'm hoping not. I'm traveling by train Friday evening (weather permitting) and I usually buy a drink and snack in the buffet. I may see if I can be organised enough to bring a flask and some nibbles with me.

In theory I don't need to spend any money at all between now and Monday evening. But in practice, given I'm visiting my dad, I'm sure I'll be treating him to something.
    Grocery Challenge January 2013 282/300
    Grocery Challenge February 2013 195/200
    Grocery Challenge March 2013 50.08/200

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills