Notice to newcomers part 3

Comments

• What is it with than one, anyway? You'd think they'd have gone to the police for example, rather than spamming the forum with their concerns. :D
    Any help, opinions, views I may hold those are my own. Respect them as you would expect the same in return. Offered freely, is gleaned from a lifetime of experiences, knowledge gaining. Passed on to benefit others. I may be direct, ask you questions but those are to help you. Up to you if you choose to take it. I won't judge you either way.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    And now he's y.h.w.h-01.
    I wonder what can be done about people like this. I understand MSE don't want to throw huge resources at people like this but there must be a way. I assume they can't trace the IP address he's posting from or they would have already done so. I wonder if there would be a way to make it so new users coulgn't post links in their posts for the first 48hours? Most genuine new users wouldn't need to, it perhaps wouldn't be practical to set up but it would slow down his progress a bit.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • That's the trouble with IPs. And they almost always find a way round it. Ages ago, someone did that on another forum, to goad people, post really nasty stuff about them ... must have registered thousands of names I'd think, but they just kept on coming, cos they either thought they could get away with it or were above being caught. Didn't seem to matter to them TBH, they just kept on doing it. They can evade IP detection dozens of ways, off the shelf stuff, you name it. As you probably know already.

And here they come again.
    Any help, opinions, views I may hold those are my own. Respect them as you would expect the same in return. Offered freely, is gleaned from a lifetime of experiences, knowledge gaining. Passed on to benefit others. I may be direct, ask you questions but those are to help you. Up to you if you choose to take it. I won't judge you either way.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    pania wrote: »
    Hi everybody.

Over the last few weeks we have had a number of "troll" attacks on the boards.

What is a Troll? A troll is a person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board or someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made.

If you should get a comment made on any thread you post asking for help and advice please realise this comment is not directed at you personally.
    We really are all a lovely bunch here (oops, modest, sorry) so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal.

what should i do if i get a comment made on my thread?

firstly do not respond to the comment as this invariably is what the person wants. At the bottom of the post, on the left hand side is a red "warning" triangle. Click this and then "send" the message that comes up. This will report the message to abuse who will review it's content and delete it.

The person we had this morning was particularly vile and nasty and please believe me is an extreme rarity here.
    Above all PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE BOARDS. THIS SITE IS AN ASSET TO SO MANY, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT FEELS THE WORLD IS FALLING IN ON YOU. THERE IS SUCH A WEALTH OF ADVICE HERE TO BE HAD THAT THE COMMENTS OF ONE MUST NOT DETER YOU FROM AVAILING YOURSELF OF THE KNOWLEDGE HERE!!!!

It is testament to the work that martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time knowledge and experience freely to others, without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of debt crisis

PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT.

Kind wishes
    P

New page reminder
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Wakey wakey rise and shine:eek: I have been up since 3am:mad:
  • Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That was a silly time to be up
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • clio
    clio Posts: 3,345 Forumite
    Horace were you out on the razzle dazzle lol.... :) Bump.
  • Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    morning peeps, another scorcher here :)

off to walk the streets again ......
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Tixy wrote: »
    And now he's y.h.w.h-01.
    I wonder what can be done about people like this

Best thing to do is report is webpage to the free host he is using for it. It is bound to be against their terms and conditions, so they will take it down.

I had at least 3 of this pests pages removed from servers lately. :)

I know they just put it on another host, but it helps a bit.;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    And the spammer is back this time called sl123ing
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family