House inheritance - transfer ownership

Options
My mother died a year ago leaving her house to my sister who currently lives there and £100K residue money to be split between us.There are no other beneficiaries. I applied and got Probate last year. I moved up to live in this same house to support my sister as mum was terminally ill and after she died sorting the estate. A year later and I'm still here. Wasn't that bad as I was wanting to make a fresh start anyway.

There was no inheritance tax to pay as it was under the threshold. We get on fine together and have agreed to make a Deed of Variation of the will. I've checked this out with the court and HMRC online. Its done by writing a clear signed statement setting out how the will is to be changed. As the house and money are equal we agreed I would have the money and she would have the house. She is claiming JSA income based and couldn't inherit money before being over the limit to claim. I recently claimed and got JSA Contributions based ie not means tested. So I can receive this for six months even inheriting the money. Then I may lose it of course and accept this as fair.

Sister wants to move to a nicer area and there is a house for sale at £100k which I might be able to buy with my money. We would then both move in there. But if she then sells this house (that we currently occupy) she would be over the limit for her JSA claim. And I imagine it could be complicated if she then had to pay me the £100k. Claim might be stopped and then restarted etc.

So we discussed this together. She is happy for me to amend the will such that I inherit both this house and the money. But reading about this I would have to pay £3k Stamp Duty when I buy the other house as I'd own two... However I read that if we JOINTLY own this house then I wouldn't have to pay the £3k Stamp Duty buying a second home. This is because the rule is designed to make it easier for those inheriting a property jointly to be able to buy a home solely their own. I guess I should read a bit more about Stamp Duty. Are there any good sites to check? I ask because I'm about to apply to the Land Registry to change the ownership of the current house we live in to both of us.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    My mother died a year ago leaving her house to my sister who currently lives there and £100K residue money to be split between us
    As the house and money are equal we agreed I would have the money and she would have the house

She already has the house.

Any DOV to avoid loosing benefits is deprivation of assets.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    timan wrote: »
    My mother died a year ago leaving her house to my sister who currently lives there and £100K residue money to be split between us.

We get on fine together and have agreed to make a Deed of Variation of the will.

As the house and money are equal we agreed I would have the money and she would have the house.

She is claiming JSA income based and couldn't inherit money before being over the limit to claim.

If she gives away £50k in order to keep her benefits, she will just be assessed as if she has received that money and will end up with no benefits and no inheritance. :(
  • timan
    timan Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2019 at 6:07PM
    Options
    I should clarify. I am executor and although Probate has been granted none of the assets have been transferred. The house is waiting for transfer of ownership through the Land Registry. The money is in the executor's account and none has been distributed. I don't understand how 'deprivation of assets' applies as my sister has not received anything to date. I.e she hasn't had it to give away yet. The transfer of ownership hasn't yet been done.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    My mother died a year ago leaving her house to my sister who currently lives there and £100K residue money to be split between us.
    I don't understand how 'deprivation of assets' applies as my sister has not received anything to date. I.e she hasn't had it to give away yet. The transfer of ownership hasn't yet been done.

She was left the house and half of the cash in the will - that's her inheritance.

Signing a DOV to give away the cash is a clear case of deliberate deprivation of assets.

The DWP will see the original will as well as the DOV and will sanction her accordingly.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    She is assessed as having that money from the date of your mothers death, when it is actually transferred is irrelevant.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2019 at 10:25AM
    Options
    She is assessed as having that money from the date of your mothers death, when it is actually transferred is irrelevant.
    And should have already been declared to the DWP.
  • Mojisola
    Options

Benefits are usually only affected from the time the inheritance arrives in the claimant's bank account - as long as the estate distribution hasn't been unduly delayed.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Benefits are usually only affected from the time the inheritance arrives in the claimant's bank account - as long as the estate distribution hasn't been unduly delayed.

In this case they have been unduly delayed in an attempt to delay it indefinitely. The OP could have distributed the estate last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure