Free online storage services

Comments

• Sorry if I'm being dim, but if I wanted to upload all my iPhoto library onto one of these cloud drives, would it just be a couple of simple clicks, or do I have to do each folder individually? Also, would it just up load them as JPEGs so if I wanted to restore onto something other than my Mac, it wouldn't need iPhoto? Desperate to find something else secure other than the WD hardrives we backup to in case of emergencies! Thanks.
  • Hi

No one has mentioned carbonite and i was wondering if anyone has any views on this service?

I know it isn't free but thread went off topic long ago :)

Couple of points with disks:
    All media has a finite life
    versioning is difficult
    offsite storage is not usually practical - and not practiced
    Just because you burned 2 discs doesnt mean you have 2 copies

Points of free online storage
    Often not encrypted
    limited in types of files
    limited in total space
    limited individual file size
    limited bandwidth (data per month)

Bother media and free services also require you to copy data to those locations

Paid for services
    'can' scan and sync all files
    deal with versioning.
    Should store encrypted files on the servers.
    Should offer access from anyway
    Should offer unlimited (or near as) storage
    No bandwidth issues
    no file size issues

One area that is often overlooked for cloud services is that they will often not backup external drives
  • I occasionally use Ubuntu One (5GB Free);

https://one.ubuntu.com/

I don't use it regularly as files I want access to are usuall small enough to keep to my email. I've just signed in and for some reason I'm on 20GB now and I have no idea why (not paid anything!). I'll see if I can find out why my storage has increased and edit this thread to let you know.

I would only recommend Ubuntu One if you are just looking for some extra free storage, or you use Linux, it's a bit shaky on Windows and doesn't support Mac OS.
  • I'll give a big thumbs up to A Drive too. http://www.adrive.com/ I have used this site for a few years now and have no problems at all. It gives a genuine 50gb of online storage which despite what some people may think is a nice amount. It is so easy to underestimate the amount of storage needed but photo's and music take up a lot of disk space...
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • kevanf1 wrote: »
    I'll give a big thumbs up to A Drive too. http://www.adrive.com/ I have used this site for a few years now and have no problems at all. It gives a genuine 50gb of online storage which despite what some people may think is a nice amount. It is so easy to underestimate the amount of storage needed but photo's and music take up a lot of disk space...
    Is it working ok today. I tried to upload but each time it just froze my machine.
  • I use MyPC Backup - got a good trial period and then a cheap monthly rate at under £5/month!
  • McG_Clan wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm being dim, but if I wanted to upload all my iPhoto library onto one of these cloud drives, would it just be a couple of simple clicks, or do I have to do each folder individually? Also, would it just up load them as JPEGs so if I wanted to restore onto something other than my Mac, it wouldn't need iPhoto? Desperate to find something else secure other than the WD hardrives we backup to in case of emergencies! Thanks.
    Sorry should have replied to this one first - this is one of the main reasons I got MyPC Backup is because it backs up your iPhoto library and stores them as jpegs in your sync folder!
  • I don't think anyone's mentioned this so far, but uploading all your personal files to an online storage provider may be a risk in more ways than one. Even assuming they treat it with care and don't get hacked or go bust, they could be scanning your content for keywords or other patterns, (similar to how g00gle and others handle your email by default) and they may then sell that data on for the purposes of advertising, or who knows what. And then that gets sold on... and on... etc.

Think about it - they have your email address, personal details and all your files...

This may sound paranoid, but storage needs power and power costs money, so one has to question how these companies are able to offer these services for "free"...

If you're concerned about this, the best way would be to locally encrypt your files first (for example you could make a password-protected ZIP file or use something heaver like "truecrypt") and upload that instead. That way they'll have a much harder time accessing your content.

Did you say some of them have a "maximum file size"... Hmmm... wonder why....
  • 2kool
    2kool Posts: 13 Forumite
    Just to add to the debate, I've been thinking about how to back up my data, mostly images and videos.

You may want to check out Bitcasa, as its a free cloud storage service (they're currently in beta) and offer an inifinite amount of storage. Data is encrypted when its uploaded, and once they're out of beta, which will be in Q1 2013, its $10 a month.

The second solution for backing up images (especially those on mobile devices) is to use Google+. They offer an unlimited amount of storage of images and video content (which is less than 15 mins up to 1080p quality) as part of their service. Admittedly, they do compress your images, but at least all your images are backed up to some extent in the cloud. Image folders are private, but can be shared.

I'm also interested in LiveDrive, and see a couple people who've posted pay around £35 to back up data on their unlimited plan. Just visited their site and can only see their £5 a month service. Could anyone provide a link to the £35 service if it exists?
  • Before signing up to any "cloud" storage, you need to research your ISP's "fair use" limits and Traffic Management policy.

Fair Use is the con whereby they can advertise a service as "unlimited" but there is actually a limit. That limit will be called a fair use limit (normally a certian amount of GB uploaded and downloaded per month). What happens when you hit that limit varies from ISP to ISP. Some charge extra, others nag you to upgrade, others will reduce your speed by using Traffic Management.

Traffic Management is usually applied on a daily basis so that individual "heavy" users don't "hog" the network and make it worse for everyone. What happens here is that if you download or upload) more than x GB in y hours, they will dramatically reduce your speed for the rest of the day. (Some ISPs don't do this, so their networks *are* hogged by heavy users, and hence rarely achieve their advertised speeds).

source: virginmedia.com /images/ STM_20Mb_below_800pxB.jpg

So, assuming you don't get stymied by either of these factors then the other thing to bear in mind is that your initial upload of all your stuff may take quite some time. Say you have "10Mb broadband". that's 10mbits/second, (approx 1Mbyte per second). however that's download speed. Your upload speed is often 10% of this so you'll be uploading at 100KB/sec. So if you have say 3GB of stuff to upload, that will take 8 hours under perfect conditions.

Clearly local storage is always going to be faster, but you need to remember to take it offsite somewhere if you want to protect against domestic disaster.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure