Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day?

Options

Comments

• 25_Years_On
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    staff are willing to work

Perhaps staff are expected to work whether or not they are willing.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We dont need to celebrate christmas but we do need to shut on boxing day because people want to celebrate Christmas? Is that what youre saying?

No. I'm saying that if there was a law where shops (with certain exceptions such as pharmacies) closed on Boxing Day, we'd all cope. Because there is choice, all retail managers will want to open so they don't miss out on any takings. I doubt that anyone buys anything extra, they just buy it on Boxing Day rather than 27th or 24th.

Prior to Sunday opening, we never went hungry on Sundays, simply planned ahead. Now all supermarkets do open, we don't have to. Retail workers just have to suck it up, to the detriment of family life for many of them.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of stuff some people have in their trollies pre Xmas, thy won't need to shop for about 2 weeks!

Depends how many you have coming to stay. Normally I am buying for two, me and husband. This Friday the invasion starts, at one point next week I will have 3 of my kids, their partners and 4 grandchildren here. We will be back to two of us on New Years Day. Visitors for a total of 11 days and an average of six people here at any one time. So yes I probably have got more than 2 weeks normal shopping in my trolley but it won't even last a week. I don't have enough storage/fridge/freezer space to not have to shop again next week although I won't necessarily shop on Boxing Day but then again I might.

Don't even ask about beds and how I'm going to fit them all in.
  • Cetshwayo
    Options
    But you can manage without hospitality staff can't you? Why do people need to go out for a meal on Boxing Day, why do people need to go to the theatre, go for a drink? Do you watch TV on Boxing Day, do you actually need to watch it, can't you amuse yourself for a day without TV.

What's so special about Boxing day?
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    People can live without seeing family on boxing day. Can you not see the hypocrisy of what youre saying?

...but going to see my family puts no burden on other people? You seem very sour about this whole thing. Emergency services are needed, shopping is not a need, it is a want. I'm sure most people working in retail would love to have Boxing Day off
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps staff are expected to work whether or not they are willing.

They willingly signed their contract which will outline when their expected to work. Its all in the small print.
    Alikay wrote: »
    No. I'm saying that if there was a law where shops (with certain exceptions such as pharmacies) closed on Boxing Day, we'd all cope. Because there is choice, all retail managers will want to open so they don't miss out on any takings. I doubt that anyone buys anything extra, they just buy it on Boxing Day rather than 27th or 24th.

Prior to Sunday opening, we never went hungry on Sundays, simply planned ahead. Now all supermarkets do open, we don't have to. Retail workers just have to suck it up, to the detriment of family life for many of them.

Youre imposing what you think people want on them. My mate volunteered to work Christmas day and boxing day because hes getting paid triple time.

I loved working boxing day because it was a quiet time where we could get things done that we rarely could at any other time of the year (i worked easter sunday every year in a shut shop, that was the best day of the year, boxing day was a close second).

So again, people want to buy stuff, people want to sell stuff and people [STRIKE]are willing to[/STRIKE] go to work. No one is forced to do these things yet it happens. And we should change it because you think people should spend time with their families?

My wife works in retail, shes got 4 days off over christmas, prior to kid shed always work it and get new year off. I worked in retail but there where certain aspects of the job i didnt like so solved them by getting a different job which was more preferable for me.
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It should be up to the retailer. I'm glad that a lot of the shops near me will be open on boxing day. I work away from home and am scheduled to arrive in my home city at 9pm on Xmas eve (been away 3 weeks). I'm lucky that I have family to join on xmas day but if not I'd have no milk bread etc till 27th.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    ...but going to see my family puts no burden on other people? You seem very sour about this whole thing. Emergency services are needed, shopping is not a need, it is a want. I'm sure most people working in retail would love to have Boxing Day off

Of course it does, the people that cant go shopping because people working in retail want a day off. They have to change what they want to do to suit what you want to do?

Id imagine most people would like to doa job that means doing no work and getting paid for it, the reality of such a thing though is difficult to come by.

Im not sour, i get frustrated by people thinking they can and should impose their wishes on other people though. Youve decided retail workers should have a day off to see family, we know theyve agreed to work it but that doesnt matter, we know there are people that would use it, but that doesnt matter, what matters is you thinking they should have a day off.

Lets play out your scenario. Boxing day and M&S is closed. People still want to shop, but they cant go to the high street. I suspect they might go to amazon. So amazon get the sale not M&S. The staff member is well chuffed they got a day off, so are you, but the customer and the business arent. I worked for B&Q for a long time, they have quite unsociable opening hours for a retailer. At one time they stayed open till 10, now its 9 but earlier in winter. The reason they stay open so late and open so early, even though at these times its just not profitable is because it lets customers know theyre always there. At that point its not directly about sales its about customer service (end result is driving sales) because if someone is in B&Q at 9pm they probably need to be.

Ok so now were bannign online sales on boxing day. Because it unfair they can open and high street cant. A tradition a lot of my family like to do is go and watch the football on boxing day. Ban that too? Its not needed thats for sure. Require a larger amounto folice, ground staff, catering staff the players and management of course. Then theres the street vendors. Ban that too? thats part of the family christmas experience.

I get the well natured idea of giving people time off to see their family and so on but the practicalities of allowing the whole country to do that just isnt feasible.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Of course it does, the people that cant go shopping because people working in retail want a day off. They have to change what they want to do to suit what you want to do?

Id imagine most people would like to doa job that means doing no work and getting paid for it, the reality of such a thing though is difficult to come by.

Im not sour, i get frustrated by people thinking they can and should impose their wishes on other people though. Youve decided retail workers should have a day off to see family, we know theyve agreed to work it but that doesnt matter, we know there are people that would use it, but that doesnt matter, what matters is you thinking they should have a day off.

Lets play out your scenario. Boxing day and M&S is closed. People still want to shop, but they cant go to the high street. I suspect they might go to amazon. So amazon get the sale not M&S. The staff member is well chuffed they got a day off, so are you, but the customer and the business arent. I worked for B&Q for a long time, they have quite unsociable opening hours for a retailer. At one time they stayed open till 10, now its 9 but earlier in winter. The reason they stay open so late and open so early, even though at these times its just not profitable is because it lets customers know theyre always there. At that point its not directly about sales its about customer service (end result is driving sales) because if someone is in B&Q at 9pm they probably need to be.

Ok so now were bannign online sales on boxing day. Because it unfair they can open and high street cant. A tradition a lot of my family like to do is go and watch the football on boxing day. Ban that too? Its not needed thats for sure. Require a larger amounto folice, ground staff, catering staff the players and management of course. Then theres the street vendors. Ban that too? thats part of the family christmas experience.

I get the well natured idea of giving people time off to see their family and so on but the practicalities of allowing the whole country to do that just isnt feasible.

Please explain how me going to see family is a burden on others?

I'm not forcing anything, just saying I think it would be a good idea. You're making that whole scenario up lol it's not going to happen. Who wouldn't want an extra day off? If they want to go shopping on Boxing day then I'm sure it's for something that they want that day, why would they shop online for something they would like that day and wait 2-3 days for it to arrive? Makes no sense to me.

Stop being salty because I think it's a good idea that a shop is closed over the Christmas period, the world is not going to collapse because people can't buy tat for a day. Where did I say anything about football? This is about retail. It should be up to the individual store, but if it was me I wouldn't put anyone on a rota, I would ask for volunteers if needs be.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    Please explain how me going to see family is a burden on others?

I'm not forcing anything, just saying I think it would be a good idea. You're making that whole scenario up lol it's not going to happen. Who wouldn't want an extra day off? If they want to go shopping on Boxing day then I'm sure it's for something that they want that day, why would they shop online for something they would like that day and wait 2-3 days for it to arrive? Makes no sense to me.

Stop being salty because I think it's a good idea that a shop is closed over the Christmas period, the world is not going to collapse because people can't buy tat for a day. Where did I say anything about football? This is about retail. It should be up to the individual store, but if it was me I wouldn't put anyone on a rota, I would ask for volunteers if needs be.

IM assuming you work in retail? If not then it doesn apply to you, if you do then by you not working (and the store being closed) to go and see your family your denying someone going shopping. If thats the day they want to go shopping thats their prerogative.

And thats ultimately the problem when saying who wouldnt want an extra day off. It doesnt just stop at close shops on boxing day, it goes to close pubs, close sporting events, close taxis and public transport.

Boxing day is one of the biggest days of the year for retailers, be that online or high street. So your assertions that people only go shopping for stuff they immediately need is wrong. And you know this by mentioning tat later on.

Im highlighting the many downfalls of you suggesting something. Thats not being salty its disagreeing with you. I agree the world wouldnt collapse. Youve assumed everyone celebrates christmas, which they dont, youve assumed everyone wants boxing day off, which seems apparent that whilst they might want time off they prefer being paid.

Many business do just that, and they make it work. When you compel business to do things it more often than not has unintended consequences which is what i think youve missed out thinking about here. As mentioned my OH works in retail, she always got what she wanted off. New years when we didnt have a child and Christmas when we did, make her shut on boxing day and its to the detriment of our childcare arrangements and needing to take holiday when not needed. I work in care, same thing applies, we need people to work over the period but do appreciate its the festive season, as such we ask preference and work to that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure