Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 22nd Dec 07, 11:08 AM
    • 6,147Posts
    • 54,317Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages
    • 22nd Dec 07, 11:08 AM
    Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages 22nd Dec 07 at 11:08 AM

Welcome to the papier mache & other free hobbies fan club

Hobbies for kids and adults can cost a fortune. Save your cash, get a free hobby that the whole family can enjoy.

As a DFW I have also been a great fan of recycling and that doesn't always mean separating green, clear and brown glass or putting your old papers in the appropriate bins.

As you'll see from the above, several of us on here have already started by making sealed pots and banks for 2008.

EASY PAPER MACHE ANIMAL BANK RECIPE - NOT TOXIC

1 inflated balloon
    egg carton or similar for snouts/noses/feet
    scrap paper for ears, tails etc
    paint for decorating - emulsion, poster paints etc
    (or use coloured paper on final layer of paper mache.)
    1 cup flour
    3 cups water
    shredded newspapers/magazines/old bank statements or bills (once you pay them)

mix 1 cup water with one cup plain flour into a thick paste
    boil other 2 cups of water then stir in the above
    simmer for a few minutes, keep stirring (like making sauce)
    cool the paste before dipping the paper and sticking it to the balloon
    allow your creation to dry before painting it
    pierce top to burst the balloon and cut the slot for feeding in the money

EASY SALT DOUGH RECIPE - NON TOXIC

2 cups plain flour
    1 cup salt
    1 cup water

Mix the above into dough, knead on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes before using, then create your masterpieces.
    Drying before painting and varnishing can take a couple of days, or you can dry them out in the oven at a low temperature just like baking biscuits.

Feel free to join in with your papier mache suggestions and other free or recycling crafts and hobbies.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 23-12-2007 at 5:44 PM. Reason: Updating info
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Page 6
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 10th Jan 12, 8:16 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,317 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Don't forget to post us a photo of your paper bunny once it's completed.
  • MoKa
    Bumping this thread because it's fab and I need a sealed pot for my 2 coin collection.

Frugaldom, I love that you didn't just go for the King Penguin but chose one of the lesser known breeds like the Macaroni Penguin.

My cottage industry: MoKaPottery (on FB)
    DFW/MFW lurker
    2 saved - 78
    • Bunny82
    • By Bunny82 13th Dec 12, 1:34 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Bunny82
    Bumpity bump.

Anyone up for this? I'm going to do a cow for the Sealed Pot Challenge. Haven't done papier mache since I was about 9!
    Dry January: 31/31 days.
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 13th Dec 12, 1:38 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,317 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Hi Bunny82. Papier Mache is fantastic frugal fun, glad you found the thread interesting and are about to make a 'cash cow'. The one I made is still going strong, as is the penguin. Sadly, 'Phil the Pig' fell foul to one too many openings, so he'll need to be remade at some point in the future. Right now, I've no spare newspapers as the ones I'm being given are needed for lighting the fire.
    • asparagus1968
    • By asparagus1968 13th Dec 12, 4:42 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    asparagus1968
    wow, what a fantastic thread- LOVING it !!
    • DdraigGoch
    • By DdraigGoch 20th Dec 12, 2:54 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    DdraigGoch
    It's time to start feeding the Spare Money Tin - the name IS ironic! - and since I have no intention of either paying for a sealed tin, nor soldering one shut, even if I could!, it's out with the balloons and back to making myself a Prudence Penguin or a Cash Cow, maybe even a Direct Debit Dog!
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!!
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 20th Dec 12, 4:56 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,317 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Hi Ddraig! How lovely to see you back here. D'you know what? After all these years, I STILL have the 3' balloon that has never been made into a whopping great sealed bank but I think 2013 may just be the year to make it happen!
  • ostrichnomore
    I love these - especially cash cow.

I'm going to make myself one (I normally use a pringle tube with a slot cut in the lid for my change pot) and if it's any good I'll make some for Christmas next year. Lots of my family made home-made crafts gifts this year and I felt a bit embarrassed that I hadn't bothered - so much nicer than bought prezzies. They'd made patchwork quilts, sock monkeys, other soft toys, and wooden family trees.

Actually, as well as the cow, I think I'll see what I can turn a pringles tube into with a bit of papier mache as well. They are so sturdy they'd make great bases for um, don't know what yet. Any ideas? Totem pole?
    I am a long term poster using an alter ego for debts and anything where I might mention relationship problems or ex. I hope you understand
    [CENTER]LBM 08/03/11. Debts Family member 1600, HMRC NI 324.AA 137.45. Halifax credit card (debt sold to Arrow Global)673.49Mystery CCJ 252 Santander overdraft 239 0 .
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 14th Aug 13, 9:47 AM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,317 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Almost 6 years later
    Just popping in to see if anyone else had got around to posting photos of their banks and to say that both Penny Penguin and Cash Cow are still going strong after almost 6 years. Sadly, Phil the Pig succumbed to one too many house moves.

I never did get around to making the huge pig but guess what I have found while unpacking long-forgotten 'stuff'? My 3' balloons! Now I just need to work out how to blow them up and keep them in place... not only are they several years older, I am too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,724Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin