Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 22nd Dec 07, 11:08 AM
    • 6,160Posts
    • 54,422Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages
    • 22nd Dec 07, 11:08 AM
    Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages 22nd Dec 07 at 11:08 AM

Welcome to the papier mache & other free hobbies fan club

Hobbies for kids and adults can cost a fortune. Save your cash, get a free hobby that the whole family can enjoy.

As a DFW I have also been a great fan of recycling and that doesn't always mean separating green, clear and brown glass or putting your old papers in the appropriate bins.

As you'll see from the above, several of us on here have already started by making sealed pots and banks for 2008.

EASY PAPER MACHE ANIMAL BANK RECIPE - NOT TOXIC

1 inflated balloon
    egg carton or similar for snouts/noses/feet
    scrap paper for ears, tails etc
    paint for decorating - emulsion, poster paints etc
    (or use coloured paper on final layer of paper mache.)
    1 cup flour
    3 cups water
    shredded newspapers/magazines/old bank statements or bills (once you pay them)

mix 1 cup water with one cup plain flour into a thick paste
    boil other 2 cups of water then stir in the above
    simmer for a few minutes, keep stirring (like making sauce)
    cool the paste before dipping the paper and sticking it to the balloon
    allow your creation to dry before painting it
    pierce top to burst the balloon and cut the slot for feeding in the money

EASY SALT DOUGH RECIPE - NON TOXIC

2 cups plain flour
    1 cup salt
    1 cup water

Mix the above into dough, knead on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes before using, then create your masterpieces.
    Drying before painting and varnishing can take a couple of days, or you can dry them out in the oven at a low temperature just like baking biscuits.

Feel free to join in with your papier mache suggestions and other free or recycling crafts and hobbies.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 23-12-2007 at 5:44 PM. Reason: Updating info
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Page 5
    • Surfbabe
    • By Surfbabe 8th Nov 08, 9:10 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 10,761 Thanks
    Surfbabe
    Eight Papier Mache pigs made !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats 7 christmas pressies and one for me
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 8th Nov 08, 9:42 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Well done, Surfbabe. Now, what do we call 8 papier mache pigs - a herd?

I've only managed to get 1 draft excluder 'sausage' made so far but will get back to that as soon as moved house

I've saved the last 2 tomato puree tubes and have them cut open, washed and flattened ready for making some Christmas stars. (Be careful if you use these as the edges are very sharp.)
    • tinalives
    • By tinalives 16th Nov 08, 9:45 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    tinalives
    Other paper mache ideas?
    The pigs are a great idea!

Does anyone have any other ideas for useful items that can be made from paper mache - I'm sure there are loads of good ideas, I'm just not very imaginative!

Thanks.
    • tinalives
    • By tinalives 16th Nov 08, 9:58 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    tinalives
    Also... if anyone has made a cat would they mind posting a picture of it or giving instructions of how they did it?

Thanks.
    • slm6002
    • By slm6002 27th Dec 08, 11:23 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    slm6002
    Great thread. I have already started to think what i could make for everyones christmas pressies next year (i know thats sad as only just finished this christmas).
    Me,OH, DD 13, DS 11, DD 8
    DFW Nerd 1103 Debt Free 04/18
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 28th Dec 08, 8:12 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    All suggestions for new ideas of 'free to make' gifts and free hobbies welcome!

I'm going to practice my photography with digital camera for the next year so I can make personalised calendars for everyone for 2010.

My papier mache banks are all surviving and these are the same ones I made in December 2007, so they make perfectly good gifts.
  • Becbec84
    Newbie with a pretty good idea
    All suggestions for new ideas of 'free to make' gifts and free hobbies welcome!

I'm going to practice my photography with digital camera for the next year so I can make personalised calendars for everyone for 2010.

My papier mache banks are all surviving and these are the same ones I made in December 2007, so they make perfectly good gifts.
    Originally posted by nykmedia

My first post!!
    Just thought i'd share an idea that i had last week and have been working on pretty much every night since. You can download a free programme that will create photo mosaics. (the large photos made of loads of little photos) i'm not allowed to post links but google andrea mosaics and it's the first in the list.
    I chose a photo of me and my partner and used our recent holiday snaps. The result was amazing, it looks so professional. I have since been raiding all my friends photos and am planning to make them for everone at Christmas. There are quite a few photo printing websites that will print a3 posters for around 6. get a cheap frame ans you've got a really thoughful present that pretty much everyone will love.
    I think that if you plan on publishing your work you have to quote andrea mosaics, but all the details are in the terms and conditions.
    Have fun playing around with it!!
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 1st Jul 09, 12:14 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Thanks for sharing that, Becbec84, and welcome to MSE. Will take a look and see if I can come up with something for my calendars, as all the papers are being made into bricks for the fire this year - no more papier mache pigs have made it into this household so far.
    • septemberblues
    • By septemberblues 23rd Jul 09, 9:15 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 3,456 Thanks
    septemberblues
    Oooh have just seen this thread, I am on a seriously tight budget, have opened my tin and spent all the money, and the tin is no good now. I was just thinking how I could have a money box without buying one, and here it is , I love this idea and will be making my first money pig today.......................
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 23rd Jul 09, 9:36 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Well done, Septemberblues! They are fun to make and the freedom to decorate them any way you like, no matter how outrageous or ridiculous, makes it all worthwhile. Phil the Pig, Cash Cow and Penny Penguin are all still going strong
  • Mellika
    Bumping to add... I used to make these with my brothers when I was little. My mum would put some candy inside after popping the balloon and pulling it out. Then the pot would be sealed and decorated, and when it was full we'd get to open it and find not only money but sweets too. I loved it.
    GC March Wk1 28.72/30 Wk2 28.4/29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1)
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 7th Oct 09, 10:45 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Is anyone making papier mache animals this year? I've suddenly felt the urge to make that massive pink pig after finding the giant balloons I got last year!
    • slash69
    • By slash69 12th Oct 09, 8:30 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    slash69
    i wanna penguin or how about a snake one from a long balloon???? these are all so cool guys
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 12th Oct 09, 9:53 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    I considered a snake one with the long balloons but just never got around to it. If you try one, post a piccie so I can see it please.
  • tryingtoruletheworld
    I have never seen this thread before, it is pure genius! I love the ideas, thanks!
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Feb 10, 2:33 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Rag rugs
    Has anyone tried making rag rugs? I have an empty hessian sack that used to contain peanuts - we bought a 25kg bag last year but your local pet shop probably has a few lying about too - so I'm wondering if it would be possible to use this along with scraps of material to turn it into a rag rug. I know that I need a pointed wooden whatshamacallit for pushing through the rags but I believe I can make one of them by sharpening a stick.

Planning on cutting the hessian sack in half and doing 2 small rugs but have also seen these done with wool to create wall rugs, complete with a picture. I guess that's a bit daring for a first attempt, but I'm looking forward to trying this.

Edited in - didn't need to sharpen a stick, a corn cob holder works just fine. Nor did I cut the sack in half, it's been opened out and will produce a square rug.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 06-02-2010 at 8:31 AM.
    • nikki702
    • By nikki702 1st Jan 11, 7:55 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    nikki702
    I know this thread is OLD but im gonna make a cow for my sealed pot challenge... thanks for the instructions
    • Nessa56
    • By Nessa56 20th Mar 11, 8:49 AM
    • 941 Posts
    • 5,139 Thanks
    Nessa56
    Love this, I can see presents coming on wey hey

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue
    • mymerrywidow
    • By mymerrywidow 1st Jan 12, 1:34 PM
    • 4,908 Posts
    • 77,593 Thanks
    mymerrywidow

I'm going to have to do an ebay search now for a logmaker and see what I can come up with. Sounds like a great idea!
    Originally posted by Milly1974
    i have used a log maker for many years.

good points,

saves cost of wood
    uses up paper
    latst about 2 hours on the fire

bad points

takes a long time to dry out. i make ours in the summer and dry them in the conservatory.

they make a awful lot of ash.

overall i would recommend them.
    life is like a loo roll. the nearer the end you get, the faster it goes.
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 9th Jan 12, 3:18 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 1,956 Thanks
    ailz95
    I've just found this thread and need a sealed pot - so guess what I'm going to do - I fancy a rabbit - we've got 3 so whatever I make will end up with rabbit fur stuck to it (everything does).
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,949Posts Today

7,400Users online

Martin's Twitter