Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 22nd Dec 07, 11:08 AM
    • 6,161Posts
    • 54,430Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages
    • 22nd Dec 07, 11:08 AM
    Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages 22nd Dec 07 at 11:08 AM

Welcome to the papier mache & other free hobbies fan club

Hobbies for kids and adults can cost a fortune. Save your cash, get a free hobby that the whole family can enjoy.

As a DFW I have also been a great fan of recycling and that doesn't always mean separating green, clear and brown glass or putting your old papers in the appropriate bins.

As you'll see from the above, several of us on here have already started by making sealed pots and banks for 2008.

EASY PAPER MACHE ANIMAL BANK RECIPE - NOT TOXIC

1 inflated balloon
    egg carton or similar for snouts/noses/feet
    scrap paper for ears, tails etc
    paint for decorating - emulsion, poster paints etc
    (or use coloured paper on final layer of paper mache.)
    1 cup flour
    3 cups water
    shredded newspapers/magazines/old bank statements or bills (once you pay them)

mix 1 cup water with one cup plain flour into a thick paste
    boil other 2 cups of water then stir in the above
    simmer for a few minutes, keep stirring (like making sauce)
    cool the paste before dipping the paper and sticking it to the balloon
    allow your creation to dry before painting it
    pierce top to burst the balloon and cut the slot for feeding in the money

EASY SALT DOUGH RECIPE - NON TOXIC

2 cups plain flour
    1 cup salt
    1 cup water

Mix the above into dough, knead on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes before using, then create your masterpieces.
    Drying before painting and varnishing can take a couple of days, or you can dry them out in the oven at a low temperature just like baking biscuits.

Feel free to join in with your papier mache suggestions and other free or recycling crafts and hobbies.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 23-12-2007 at 5:44 PM. Reason: Updating info
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Page 4
  • spud30
    Me and the kids made some this afternoon, we had a great time.

Anyone know how long these take to dry?
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

Loves being a Wonderbra friend
  • mumzyof2
    nope lol mine fell apart coz i forgot about it...so they went in bin today lmao
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 1st Jan 08, 10:52 PM
    • 6,161 Posts
    • 54,430 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Drying times

Originally posted by spud30
    Most of mine dry out enough overnight if I sit them near or above a heater. Means I can make them one day, paint them the next.
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 1st Jan 08, 10:58 PM
    • 6,161 Posts
    • 54,430 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Sealed banks are brilliant and this could tie in nicely with my 'cottage industry' challenge LOL I've got three more balloons and several newspapers.... what's it going to be next, I wonder?
  • theunknownstuntman
    buy the 6 foot balloon, you know you want too.....
    I am one of the 63336.
    His Grace Lord Stunty the Coherent of Deep Throcking

'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep.'
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 1st Jan 08, 11:07 PM
    • 6,161 Posts
    • 54,430 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    I would LOVE to, but...
    buy the 6 foot balloon, you know you want too.....
    Originally posted by theunknownstuntman
    Having been made well aware of the consequences, along with the very tight budget I'm on, it's impractical at the moment. However....

TIP: Should you decide to make a HUGE papier mache animal from one of those enormous balloons, measure your doors and windows BEFORE inflating said balloon and covering it in papier mache. You can't exactly great your masterpiece on the kitchen table and then move it into another room to dry.... it WILL NOT fit through a standard door
  • theunknownstuntman
    lol, what did you do? Come on, tell Stunty all.....
    I am one of the 63336.
    His Grace Lord Stunty the Coherent of Deep Throcking

'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep.'
    • angelflower
    • By angelflower 1st Jan 08, 11:31 PM
    • 2,375 Posts
    • 7,008 Thanks
    angelflower

Originally posted by spud30
    Forever!!!! help them out by using airing cupboard or placing at foot of radiatiors and allow 24-48 hours between layers!!!
    DFW 228 LONG H 68
    DFD 2017
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 1st Jan 08, 11:33 PM
    • 6,161 Posts
    • 54,430 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Honestly, Stunty, I never made the giant balloon papier mache. But I have been saving lots of other bits and pieces and thought about all sorts of things I could make, mostly moneysaving and fun for (big) kids and free. Have you seen my pompom makers?
  • spud30
    Forever!!!! help them out by using airing cupboard or placing at foot of radiatiors and allow 24-48 hours between layers!!!
    Originally posted by angelflower
    Thanks Angel, our pots are now in the airing cupboard

I didnt allow any time between layers, so they may be doomed, but we shall see
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

Loves being a Wonderbra friend
    • headoutthesand
    • By headoutthesand 14th Jan 08, 10:19 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    headoutthesand
    mine has started with great intentions but OMG - what a mess.

Maybe mine isn't right.

My paste is all lumpy, my balloon is moving all over the place and my paper kept breaking in the paste.

is this normal?

thank god i tried it first time when DS was in bed.
    Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
    Debts as of March 2014
    Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
    Debts as of January 2015
    Nationwide - £4997, Overdraft - £0
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 14th Jan 08, 10:57 PM
    • 6,161 Posts
    • 54,430 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    mine has started with great intentions but OMG - what a mess.

Maybe mine isn't right.

My paste is all lumpy, my balloon is moving all over the place and my paper kept breaking in the paste.

is this normal?

thank god i tried it first time when DS was in bed.
    Originally posted by headoutthesand

I can just imagine the giggles from the kitchen in the middle of the night!! If you are using the flour and water paste then it can be watered down a little - like wallpaper paste. I tear the paper into strips and then use a pastry brush to coat the strips one at a time. Before even starting with the balloon, I sellotape the legs (bits of egg carton/toilet roll tube/small yoghurt pots whatever) onto the balloon and make sure it stands up alright. If it gets top heavy or off balance then I know where to add more weight next layer. I find it easiest to start at the bottom (umm... not literally ) I mean start at the base with the paper strips and cover the underneath parts, sticking the pasted paper strips over and around the legs. This gives it a bit extra weight and helps it to stay in the one place rather than rolling all over the table or floor. Be careful not to burst the balloon with the cellotape or edges of the cartons at this stage.

Lumpy paste - I'd just get the mixer into it and beat the lumps out Perhaps do this before DS goes to bed, though. Good luck and have fun
    • miss_phish
    • By miss_phish 15th Jan 08, 7:34 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 30,540 Thanks
    miss_phish
    As an extra note - the splitting of paper and the lumpiness may have someting to do with the balloon naturally deflating over time so try and put an extra layer on every night so that the shape starts to hold itself.

Maybe this would happen if too many layers were put on at once too...??

Anyway, it doesn't matter really - just blow up a new balloon and start again!
    Piggypoints - 207+£10 * Quidco - £95 * Tesco - 1095 * Sainsbugs - 4237
    I SHALL be debt free!!!!!
    • Surfbabe
    • By Surfbabe 10th Oct 08, 8:47 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 10,761 Thanks
    Surfbabe
    Just resurrecting this thread ready for start of sealed pot challenge 2009
  • painted lady
    Just skim read this thread, very interesting thanks.
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 11th Oct 08, 12:54 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    This looks very interesting, I must have a go, how strong are the pigs once their dry, and are they good pressies for anyone?
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • Candy0107
    • By Candy0107 11th Oct 08, 2:57 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,691 Thanks
    Candy0107
    Last year I bought a Terramundi for the Sealed Pot Challenge - then I saw everyone else's home made efforts and got sealed pot envy.

I will soon be making a pig for Sealed Pot 2009 - Thanks for the recipe for paper mache.

Thanks
    Candy xxx
    Debts at the start of my journey - about £23,000 lightbulb moment 01.03.2007 (1st payment to CCCS)..Debt Free Date 25.06.2013 Deposit savings £2,500/£30,000
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 23rd Oct 08, 2:22 PM
    • 6,161 Posts
    • 54,430 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Snakes alive!
    This looks very interesting, I must have a go, how strong are the pigs once their dry, and are they good pressies for anyone?
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    The strength of these depends on how many layers of paper, how well 'glued' they are and how dry they are kept. The pig in my avatar is almost a year old and is doing fine, but he'll be subjected to surgical incision on 1st December for removal of all spare change. And yes, these make great presents

I've just decided that we're going to go with the 'snake draught excluder' idea as this year's 'speciality' after reading about them here. If anyone else fancies joining me (apparently you can save £30 on energy bills over a year by excluding door draughts) then feel free to start stitching and stuffing then show off your masterpieces here.
  • redsadie
    just bumping
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 8th Nov 08, 8:51 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    Fantastic thread.

I remember making a papier mache pig at junior school

Projects for next weekend....make a sealed pot and a snake, although with the drafts that howl around this house, I think several snakes may be needed.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,232Posts Today

7,854Users online

Martin's Twitter