Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 22nd Dec 07, 11:08 AM
    • 6,160Posts
    • 54,421Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages
    • 22nd Dec 07, 11:08 AM
    Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages 22nd Dec 07 at 11:08 AM

Welcome to the papier mache & other free hobbies fan club

Hobbies for kids and adults can cost a fortune. Save your cash, get a free hobby that the whole family can enjoy.

As a DFW I have also been a great fan of recycling and that doesn't always mean separating green, clear and brown glass or putting your old papers in the appropriate bins.

As you'll see from the above, several of us on here have already started by making sealed pots and banks for 2008.

EASY PAPER MACHE ANIMAL BANK RECIPE - NOT TOXIC

1 inflated balloon
    egg carton or similar for snouts/noses/feet
    scrap paper for ears, tails etc
    paint for decorating - emulsion, poster paints etc
    (or use coloured paper on final layer of paper mache.)
    1 cup flour
    3 cups water
    shredded newspapers/magazines/old bank statements or bills (once you pay them)

mix 1 cup water with one cup plain flour into a thick paste
    boil other 2 cups of water then stir in the above
    simmer for a few minutes, keep stirring (like making sauce)
    cool the paste before dipping the paper and sticking it to the balloon
    allow your creation to dry before painting it
    pierce top to burst the balloon and cut the slot for feeding in the money

EASY SALT DOUGH RECIPE - NON TOXIC

2 cups plain flour
    1 cup salt
    1 cup water

Mix the above into dough, knead on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes before using, then create your masterpieces.
    Drying before painting and varnishing can take a couple of days, or you can dry them out in the oven at a low temperature just like baking biscuits.

Feel free to join in with your papier mache suggestions and other free or recycling crafts and hobbies.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 23-12-2007 at 5:44 PM. Reason: Updating info
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Page 2
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 22nd Dec 07, 8:04 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,421 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Logmakers
    Ooooh, where do you get one of those, and are they much good? Sounds like a fab idea!
    Originally posted by Milly1974
    Just do a search online for logmakers and there are loads. There are 2 main types, the simple tubular one and the metal one, which I got after requesting it as a really exciting (they thought I was mad) Christmas pressie. The metal one looks a bit like the old fashioned potato chippers! Perhaps you could adapt one if you have one or see one at a carboot sale or charity shop? No promises on that one, though

I can promise that the home made 'logs' burn really well and for quite some time. Brilliant if your hot water heats off your fire! You can add dried vegetable waste or wood shavings etc, whatever is safe for burning and carbon neutral
  • postingalwaysposting
    how many layers do you put on the money animals?

• Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 22nd Dec 07, 8:08 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,421 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Quickie paper mache animals
    how many layers do you put on the money animals?
    Originally posted by postingalwaysposting
    I only put about 4 layers but usually soak a full sheet of newspaper and try to cover most of it as the final layer. Depends how quickly you want it to dry out and how long you want it to last
    • Milly1974
    • By Milly1974 22nd Dec 07, 8:41 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Milly1974
    I made a money pig from paper mache, and I just carried on putting layers on until he felt solid. I did it in stages, and just added another layer each evening after work. That way it took a bit longer and kept me busy!

I'm going to have to do an ebay search now for a logmaker and see what I can come up with. Sounds like a great idea!

OD £lots Egg Card £329.04 Parents £650 Sofa £741.78
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 23rd Dec 07, 9:52 AM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    I like this thread!

When you make the glue for the papier mache, what's the best way to store it (or do you have to make fresh for each layer?)

We're going to make some sealed pots for presents for next year and I'm very excited. DS is not so excited but he will be when we start!
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • postingalwaysposting
    I like this thread!

When you make the glue for the papier mache, what's the best way to store it (or do you have to make fresh for each layer?)

We're going to make some sealed pots for presents for next year and I'm very excited. DS is not so excited but he will be when we start!
    Originally posted by whitewing
    well dont do what i did and leave it out overnight un covered ~ it produces a crust like layer on top and doesnt smell too healthy ~ i shall make some more today

• Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 23rd Dec 07, 5:13 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,421 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Making the glue/paste
    I like this thread!

Originally posted by whitewing

I find that the 3 cups of flour / 1 cup water recipe does me for completing the first layer if I'm doing 2 balloons - I just keep putting on the paper until the glue is done.

If you make too much, by mistake, you can add salt and more flour to make it into salt dough I think but would need to check first before trying it LOL

OK, checked the salt dough recipe and it's 2 cups plain flour to 1 cup water and one cup salt so you would just need to add some salt and more flour. If you decide to make salt dough ornaments or items, you do not need to cook the mixture, just 'knead' it like bread dough for 10 mins or so before you start modelling it. It takes about 2 days to dry out properly before you can paint & varnish it. (You can also dry it in the oven at a low temp.)
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 23-12-2007 at 5:24 PM.
  • postingalwaysposting
    well i just made a new batch and this one is very smooth and no lumps like the last batch :rolleyes: using a hand mixer works well

• pandapaws
    • By pandapaws 23rd Dec 07, 5:23 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    pandapaws
    Fantastic idea! I know nothing about crafty stuff, would love to try.

I shall make the prudent panda, ta for the idea.
    Originally posted by Prudent
    I've GOT to have a prudent panda! Are there instructions for that somewhere that I missed?
  • In Search Of Me
    Great thread! Love the mone pigs - a free terramundi & will be making one for my £2 coins so thanks for that!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• miss_phish
    • By miss_phish 23rd Dec 07, 5:33 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 30,161 Thanks
    miss_phish
    I can't believe this thread!

My partners children are coming to stay with us on the 27th (first time i'll have met them ) and I thought it would be great to make a papier mache piggy bank with them.... Are you guys psychic???!

I've been saving toilet rolls to make the nose & legs, bought the baloons yesterday but I was planning to water down PVA to make the gluey bit.. anone know the quantities of glue to water??

LOVED the ideas for other animals - thanks guys!

Piggypoints - 207+£10 * Quidco - £95 * Tesco - 1095 * Sainsbugs - 4237
    I SHALL be debt free!!!!!
  • postingalwaysposting
    I can't believe this thread!

My partners children are coming to stay with us on the 27th (first time i'll have met them ) and I thought it would be great to make a papier mache piggy bank with them.... Are you guys psychic???!

I've been saving toilet rolls to make the nose & legs, bought the baloons yesterday but I was planning to water down PVA to make the gluey bit.. anone know the quantities of glue to water??

LOVED the ideas for other animals - thanks guys!

Originally posted by miss_phish
    phish dont use the pva glue use flour and water ~

mix one cup of water with one cup of flour into a paste with little or no lumps
    boil 2 cups of water
    add the paste to the water and simmer for a few minutes while stiring
    allow to cool and use

its non toxic to so it doesnt matter if they get messy/eat it to get he lumps out use a hand blender/wisker ~ works wonders

• In Search Of Me
    bump...took ages to find this again!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• spud30
    I was wondering where this thread was.

I'm hoping to make a pot tomorrow. The only problem is, I'm not sure we've got any balloons :confused:
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

Loves being a Wonderbra friend
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 29th Dec 07, 9:14 PM
    • 15,923 Posts
    • 55,443 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    oooooooooooooooooooo I am going to do this!!!

AND I am going to make my Mum do it too!

think I might make snowman since we only have white paint! or maybe a polar bear...............

xx
    Debt Free as of 26/07/19 (third time is the charm!) Now paying myself back all my savings! Target 1= 4981/5000 (across all accounts) Avoiding the CC!
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 29th Dec 07, 9:18 PM
    • 6,814 Posts
    • 8,723 Thanks
    lilmissmup
    NYK if i paid you for your time and postage could you make me a paper mache cat? I want one that looks like my boy but my OH won't do it!
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 29th Dec 07, 9:36 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,421 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    You know that's very, very naughty to ask such questions in the forums, you'll get us struck off!!
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 29th Dec 07, 9:38 PM
    • 6,814 Posts
    • 8,723 Thanks
    lilmissmup
    Sorry.....I am in dire need though
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • mumzyof2
    Lolol ppppp
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • In Search Of Me
    I'm making 2 - one for me & one for mum! Wil try & post piccie when they're done - may get a Sunday paper tomorrow as almost out of media to use, although something appealing about doing the junk mail & using it for sommat useful!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

577Posts Today

5,144Users online

Martin's Twitter