The Times

If you take out The Times special 3 months offer, they make it impossible for you to cancel. Be warned. Here is my latest letter to them. Is this legal?
On 13 April I took out a subscription to Times On Line. It was a special deal £1 month for 3 months and thereafter automatically switching to £26.00 a month. After 2 days I decided I didn’t want it and according to your terms. And conditions, I could cancel if within 14 days. Yesterday I tried to cancel on your ‘chat page’ I was told that this was not possible and the ONLY way I could cancel was to phone an 0800 number. Today I tried this and surprise surprise it rang and rang for half an hour! With no one answering, eventually I left my telephone contact details but no one came back to me. So you see, I’ve tried to follow your rules and you have stopped me from cancelling. I told one of your ‘chat people’ that I would cancel the standing order and was told that I can’t do that either and If I cancelled the standing order you would still kept the account running and would claim any outstanding debts from me.

I find this behaviour absolutely disgraceful and certainly something I did not expect from The Times! You simply cannot stitch people up like this. I cannot believe this is legal.

By copy of this letter. I’m telling you now I hereby cancel my subscription. Please confirm that it is now cancelled.

Comments

• inholms wrote: »
    If you take out The Times special 3 months offer, they make it impossible for you to cancel. Be warned. Here is my latest letter to them. Is this legal?
    On 13 April I took out a subscription to Times On Line. It was a special deal £1 month for 3 months and thereafter automatically switching to £26.00 a month. After 2 days I decided I didn’t want it and according to your terms. And conditions, I could cancel if within 14 days. Yesterday I tried to cancel on your ‘chat page’ I was told that this was not possible and the ONLY way I could cancel was to phone an 0800 number. Today I tried this and surprise surprise it rang and rang for half an hour! With no one answering, eventually I left my telephone contact details but no one came back to me. So you see, I’ve tried to follow your rules and you have stopped me from cancelling. I told one of your ‘chat people’ that I would cancel the standing order and was told that I can’t do that either and If I cancelled the standing order you would still kept the account running and would claim any outstanding debts from me.

I find this behaviour absolutely disgraceful and certainly something I did not expect from The Times! You simply cannot stitch people up like this. I cannot believe this is legal.

By copy of this letter. I’m telling you now I hereby cancel my subscription. Please confirm that it is now cancelled.

I find it quite good, but here is the page with the free number you want. It's good to talk!
    https://home.thetimes.co.uk/myFaq
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Can't see that page unless you're a member and login.

Did you read the OP? They tried calling an 0800 number and didn't get an answer. (Although I don't know how they left contact details if they didn't get an answer).
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    OP just cancel your standing order or direct debit
  • OP just cancel your standing order or direct debit

Cancelling a direct debit or standing order does nothing to cancel the contract that it was attached to and although it's very unlikely to happen here, taking such action can ultimately result in a company taking legal action to enforce any payment that they think is owed.

This is why the OP is taking the correct action by firstly trying to cancel the contract using the method stated by the Times and as that's not been successful, sending written confirmation of their wish to cancel.
  • couriervanman
    Cancelling a direct debit or standing order does nothing to cancel the contract that it was attached to and although it's very unlikely to happen here, taking such action can ultimately result in a company taking legal action to enforce any payment that they think is owed.

This is why the OP is taking the correct action by firstly trying to cancel the contract using the method stated by the Times and as that's not been successful, sending written confirmation of their wish to cancel.

Its only a newspaper subscription for gods sake........the OP has tried emailing them also will have proof of phone calls via hie/her phone bill
    They haven't replied or answered so cancelling standing order is the correct thing to do
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Its only a newspaper subscription for gods sake........the OP has tried emailing them also will have proof of phone calls via hie/her phone bill
    They haven't replied or answered so cancelling standing order is the correct thing to do

The OP explains why it's not the correct thing to do.

inholms wrote: »
    I told one of your ‘chat people’ that I would cancel the standing order and was told that I can’t do that either and If I cancelled the standing order you would still kept the account running and would claim any outstanding debts from me.
  • couriervanman
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The OP explains why it's not the correct thing to do.

14 days to cancel which the op tried to do
  • inholms
    inholms Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Now they tell me that the 14 day cooling off period ONLY applies to paper subscriptions. I’ve cancelled the standing order and they can do what ever they want. It’s only a news paper so I don’t care. But I’m shocked at the way this allegedly honourable newspaper has behaved. Its like that program on BBC2!
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Now they tell me that the 14 day cooling off period ONLY applies to paper subscriptions.

The web page for the £1 for 8 week subscription is very clear about the minimum length of the contract:
    Untitled-1-copy.jpg
    But I’m shocked at the way this allegedly honourable newspaper has behaved.
    Shocked by the fact they they have honoured their part of the contract and expect you to do the same?
  • inholms
    inholms Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don’t care about the first 3 months. I was trying to stop them taking the £26 a month after that. It’s only 3 quid who cares? YET, they hit you with a 6 page contract (which of course I didn’t read until now!) What Planet are they from?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure