Symbio Energy feedback

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 March 2019 at 12:56PM
    Personally I'd still be very wary of Symbio - just done a comparison and the 12 month fix without advance payment would save me £130 pa -miles better than all the other suppliers -even ~£80 better than OFTM!! Their tariffs are better than the last two suppliers I had who went bust (Usio and One Select) and only the standing charge makes it marginally more than the late lamented Iresa Flex 5, which vanished last July.:(
    Surely the wholesale market can't have eased so much that these Symbio rates are sustainable??

EDIT - In my region the standing charges are higher than quoted in the previous post -21.3p/day inc VAT but the leccy rate @ 12.43p/kwh is the same as Iresa Flex 5.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 March 2019 at 1:38PM
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Personally I'd still be very wary of Symbio - just done a comparison and the 12 month fix without advance payment would save me £130 pa -miles better than all the other suppliers -even ~£80 better than OFTM!! Their tariffs are better than the last two suppliers I had who went bust (Usio and One Select) and only the standing charge makes it marginally more than the late lamented Iresa Flex 5, which vanished last July.:(
    Surely the wholesale market can't have eased so much that these Symbio rates are sustainable??

EDIT - In my region the standing charges are higher than quoted in the previous post -21.3p/day inc VAT but the leccy rate @ 12.43p/kwh is the same as Iresa Flex 5.

A year ago I decided to take a chance on Eversmart. They offered a fix rate for 12 months.The kw price was only 11.75P including vat with no standing charge. Nearly 12 months later they are still in business. However since joining them so many small companies have gone bust hence the reason for my hesitation in joining Symbio.
  • I have been lucky enough to be with GB energy who went bust and recently One Select.
    So far I haven't lost any money so I'm signing up with Symbio on the basis that if they do go bust someone will take over like the other two companies and if they don't then I'll get a good price for my electricity.
    Quoted prices are 12.864p per kWh and 14.440p per day
  • MABLE
    I have read through their agreement and it states you have to agree to having a SMART meter fitted. I did not think companies could make it obligatory for you to have one.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MABLE wrote: »
    I have read through their agreement and it states you have to agree to having a SMART meter fitted. I did not think companies could make it obligatory for you to have one.

They can make a specific tariff available only if you agree to Smart. Other Suppliers have already done it. The tariff I signed up to with Usio was a "smart" tariff but they went bust before they could organise an appointment!!
  • Well I don't have a smart meter, it did ask me when i requested a quote and they still gave me a quote. There's been no mention of a smart meter on any of the paperwork.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have been lucky enough to be with GB energy who went bust and recently One Select.
    So far I haven't lost any money so I'm signing up with Symbio on the basis that if they do go bust someone will take over like the other two companies and if they don't then I'll get a good price for my electricity.
    Quoted prices are 12.864p per kWh and 14.440p per day
    Good for you:) ,...Symbio’s 12-month fixed tariff leccy prices are way cheaper than anything else on offer at the moment,...using my post code anyway.

The 2-months in advance D/D tariff looks a little unusual, but it’s a lot cheaper than their 1-month in advance D/D fixed deal and makes it a no-brainer IMHO.

I joined Yorks.Energy last year and they were very new,...many of the comments in previous posts in this thread about Symbio and their ‘hesitant’ staff etc could have been levelled at YE,...but it’s just down to their ‘newness’ I reckon. I’ve had no problems with the ‘new’ company Yorks.Energy btw.

They’ve all got to start somewhere.
  • The_Big_Bamboo
    The_Big_Bamboo Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 March 2019 at 11:06AM
    Lisa_Tom wrote: »
    Never heard of them. Probably will go bust once they get your 2 months advance payment.

Consider using Bulb Energy. They may not be quite as cheap, but have recently reduced their prices. And they have some history behind them, including a user rep who often posts on here.
    Lots of people on this forum seem to use Bulb Energy, and their feedback tends to be extremely good - and that is what we have found too.

If you join them Bulb via referral, you will get a nice bill credit that probably cover at least your first first month's usage if not more.
    And they will pay any early exit fees you may incur in leaving your old supplier.

No smart meter required with them either.
    ♫ Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, ♫ :rotfl:

Bulbs dual-fuel tariff is not particularly competitive in my neck of the woods;...and it’s variable!
  • MABLE
    Well I don't have a smart meter, it did ask me when i requested a quote and they still gave me a quote. There's been no mention of a smart meter on any of the paperwork.

Under the heading "Introduction" item 8. states you have to have a SMART meter on ALL tariffs.

May be an idea to check yourself.
  • The_Big_Bamboo
    The_Big_Bamboo Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 March 2019 at 1:59PM
    Well I don't have a smart meter, it did ask me when i requested a quote and they still gave me a quote. There's been no mention of a smart meter on any of the paperwork.
    MABLE wrote: »
    Under the heading "Introduction" item 8. states you have to have a SMART meter on ALL tariffs.

May be an idea to check yourself.

I had a good look at Symbio a few weeks ago and I specifically checked their Ts&Cs for a Smart meter clause and I didn’t see one.

To be honest, given their competitive tariffs, I was very surprised that the obligation to have a smart meter fitted wasn’t in their Ts&Cs;...I either missed it, or it wasn’t there at the time I checked.

However, as you quite rightly point out, the Smart meter clause is there now,...and in a very prominent position.

“8. All electricity contracts require that the site has or is fitted with an SMART meter and by entering into this contract you agree that you will allow us to install such a device (if one is not already fitted). If we are unable to fit such a device due to technical reasons then this will not alter the contractual agreement between us.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback