Feedback on Utility Point

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Problem solved. They admitted that they had not set up the DD. So my new DD date, for gas, is 5th May.

Anyone can mess up, it is how they rectify, which matters. Very pleased with the outcome.
  • xsor
    xsor Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Has anyone else used Utility Point? Seems like they have a more competitive rate now
  • lenar
    lenar Posts: 2 Newbie
    Using MoneySaving Expert cheap Energy Club to compare, these came out as cheapest to replace my Scottish Power fix which was coming to an end. Was a bit reluctant to go with an "unknown" but took the plunge and have been pleasantly surprised. The switch itself was fast and problem free, direct debit set up and service switched within 3 weeks, and it all went extremely smoothly....just how I like it.
    That's all I can say really, have had no issues, so no reason to contact them so cannot comment on what their response to issues is like.
  • Just about to take the plunge with Utility Point for Electricity only and stay with Zog for my gas. Zog have been excellent and I've been with them for 2 or 3 years now (providing monthly readings keeps my DD stable and I think they have only changed it once which was this last winter when both me and my wife have been in all the time due to illness and coupled with a bad winter our usage has increased).
    I am hoping UP are going to be as good.
    I am leaving Eon not only due to the fact they are more expensive but despite opting out of smart meter reminders I do keep getting bombarded with them!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I am leaving Eon not only due to the fact they are more expensive but despite opting out of smart meter reminders I do keep getting bombarded with them!

It will interesting to see whether opting out of smart meter communications has any meaning under GDPR.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just about to take the plunge with Utility Point for Electricity only and stay with Zog for my gas. Zog have been excellent and I've been with them for 2 or 3 years now (providing monthly readings keeps my DD stable and I think they have only changed it once which was this last winter when both me and my wife have been in all the time due to illness and coupled with a bad winter our usage has increased).
    I am hoping UP are going to be as good.

Hello hollie.weimeraner and don't worry. Contact from us about smart meters will stop once the switch has gone through. The new supplier will take over responsibility for your meters including anything to do with the smart meter roll-out.

Previously, as you did, it was possible to opt out of smart meter communications. Now, though, customers can no longer permanently opt out of this type of contact as we're obligated to keep checking with them. This is particularly the case with significant developments like the roll-out of SMETS2 meters. As these meters are considerably different from SMETS1, we need to make customers aware of the change and what it means.

As smart meters are optional, customers can reject them at any time. We are, though, committed to offering them to all our residential customers by 2020 and are using several different methods to let them know about this commitment.

Hope this explains why we continued to contact you about smart meters.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • System
    edited 25 May 2018 at 6:33PM

Previously, as you did, it was possible to opt out of smart meter communications. Now, though, customers can no longer permanently opt out of this type of contact as we're obligated to keep checking with them. This is particularly the case with significant developments like the roll-out of SMETS2 meters. As these meters are considerably different from SMETS1, we need to make customers aware of the change and what it means.

Malc

Malc - has the Govt now exempted consumers from opting out of smart meter communications under the new GDPR? If so, it makes a mockery of GDPR and consumers!!!8217; rights.

Right 8 is relevant:

Right to object !!!8211; You have the right to object and prevent your data being used for particular purposes, eg. for direct marketing. This right is superseded by legal claims.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 May 2018 at 9:06PM
    Hengus wrote: »
    Malc - has the Govt now exempted consumers from opting out of smart meter communications under the new GDPR? If so, it makes a mockery of GDPR and consumers!!!8217; rights.

Right 8 is relevant:

Right to object !!!8211; You have the right to object and prevent your data being used for particular purposes, eg. for direct marketing. This right is superseded by legal claims.

It's not really 'Direct Marketing' though is it?
    (although GDPR does not actually define what 'Direct Marketing' is either :cool:)

But you are already a customer of the supplier, and a new meter is not charged for, nor will it affect the energy you are purchasing through it or the tariff you are paying for it.

The supplier is not making any money out of supplying these meters - quite the contrary in fact.

A smart meter is the next generation of a gas and electricity meter. They're being installed by energy suppliers in every home in England, Scotland, and Wales. Smart meters come with an in-home display screen that shows you exactly how much energy you're using in pounds and pence, in near real time and will bring an end to estimated bills.

Smart meters measure how much gas and electricity you're using, as well as what it;s costing you, and display this in on a handy in-home display.
    With a smart meter, you can wave goodbye to complicated meter readings. The smart meter shows a digital meter reading and automatically sends the reading to your energy supplier at least once a month, so you will receive accurate, not estimated, bills.

The Government has directed that everyone will be offered the opportunity to upgrade to a smart meter by their energy supplier.
    Smart meters will be provided and fitted by your energy supplier, along with a handheld in-home display, at no extra cost.

So this probably all means that the supplier has compelling other reasons to keep the customer informed.

On the same basis, are you suggesting suppliers should no longer provide customers with details of their lowest cost tariff for them as they currently are mandated to do?
    (unless they have specifically opted in to receive such informative and cost saving information)

GDPR is a shambles that simply costs everyone money, as is everything else that comes out of Brussells/Strasbourg.

Roll on Brexit :)
  • System
    wavelets wrote: »

GDPR is a shambles that simply costs everyone money, as is everything else that comes out of Brussells/Strasbourg.

Roll on Brexit :)

As GDPR is now fully enshrined in UK Law - for good or bad - it is here to stay after Brexit. I believe that GDPR opt out should apply to smart meter communications. Saying ‘no’ should mean ‘no’ - but that is just my view.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hengus wrote: »

Right 8 is relevant:

Hello Hengus.

From time to time, we need to keep in touch with our customers so we can let them know about changes to our products and services particularly where they're likely to affect their accounts. We won't, though, send marketing materials where customers have told us not to. Neither will we share personal data with other organisations, including those in the E.ON group, for marketing purposes unless we've prior permission to do this.

As wavelets says, smart meters are the next generation of electricity and gas meter. We're not selling them but we've a regulatory duty to offer them to all our customers by 2020. As you know, the roll-out has changed considerably since it started and is evolving all the time. We need to make customers aware of these changes so they're in a better position to judge what's best for them going forward. This includes being able to opt out of the scheme. We don't consider this type of communication to be marketing but a service requirement similar to things like meter reading requests, letting them know about changes to prices, terms and conditions or anything stopping them changing supplier.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback