Feedback on Utility Point

poppellerant
poppellerant Posts: 1,933
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
Forumite
Having compared my tariff online, this company seems to be the same price as my existing Flex4 tariff with Iresa. But even Googling Utility Point's name didn't instantly find their website. I can't seem to find much, if any, feedback on this company so they must be relatively new. I only found them with Energy Helpline's comparison site.

If anybody has any comments or feedback to make on this company, I'd really like to hear them. Even if you're in the middle of switching, it'd be good to see how they treat potential customers. I did try to call them today, but it seems they are closed.

This is their website: https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 January 2018 at 11:21AM
    They were only granted a supply license for electricity on 14th July 2017 so this is probably their launch.
    Zero chance for any feedback.

Just went to their site and asked for a quote for an exact usage. Quoted monthly DD did not match the price when calculated from the tariff details by nearly 2% (and I tried various combinations of whether VAT was added or not). The quote lacked whether it was VAT inclusive as did the tariff details. But still a good price, just wish the maths added up and they showed the workings out.
  • poppellerant
    Forumite
    If you calculate your total cost with the units and standing charges, the prices work out fine - bear in the mind the prices shown on the site do appear to include VAT. My issue was working out the discounts - is it £30.00 (Online Account Management Discount) + £6.50 (Dual Fuel Discount) per energy, or total? I'd imagine it is £36.50.

But the site does not show your quote with any discounts removed, so it is difficult to come to any conclusions.

Something else I would like to know is do they support smart meters? If so, that would be a great bonus for me. If not, then it's not big deal for me - I just have to keep reading my meter manually.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    If you calculate your total cost with the units and standing charges, the prices work out fine - bear in the mind the prices shown on the site do appear to include VAT. My issue was working out the discounts - is it £30.00 (Online Account Management Discount) + £6.50 (Dual Fuel Discount) per energy, or total? I'd imagine it is £36.50.

But the site does not show your quote with any discounts removed, so it is difficult to come to any conclusions.

Something else I would like to know is do they support smart meters? If so, that would be a great bonus for me. If not, then it's not big deal for me - I just have to keep reading my meter manually.

Usually the discounts are included in the quoted standing charge. This is why on a fixed contract, the standing charge is not fixed although many suggest otherwise. In other words, if a contract term or condition is breached, a higher standing charge will appear on the bill when the discount is removed.

PS: All suppliers 'support' smart meters. What some are saying is that they do not have the means to take the information from the meter directly or via The Data Communications Company. If you have a smart meter, these suppliers will accept you but you must provide manual meter reads.
  • poppellerant
    Forumite
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Hengus. The standing charges and unit rates are identical both on Utility Point's website and Energy Helpline's. Neither one seems to have adjust the prices to take into account the discounts.

One thing I do find odd is that Energy Helpline's site shows £13.65 for "discounts & additional charges". I accept that this is (£6.50 x 2) + VAT.

But on Utility Point's site, this is show as £6.50 per energy - this is before VAT. This is on the same page that shows their prices including VAT. It seems their website is mixing up prices which include VAT and prices that exclude it. It isn't too obvious until you compare the prices shows on their own site and those shown Energy Helpline's.

Something else to note, is that Energy Helpline doesn't seem to acknowledge the £30 "Online Account Management Discount". I suspect this is per fuel, so that's £60 in total.

I shall phone Utility Point tomorrow with these points. This test of their customer handling will tell me whether or not I want to switch.
  • When I did a quote for gas and elec, prices looked good - elec is excellent.

When I did a quote for elec only, it crashed. Does not bode well, IMO.
  • Should always listen to my gut instinct.

The electricity only quote decided to work and it beat my current EON 12.506p Unit Rate and 16.442 S/C, so I thought I would take the chance.

Completed the sign up and it has hung on "Confirm and Switch". I have tried phoning then, and goes to answer phone after around 1 minute. I need to know if it has gone through, but no one answers the phone.
  • poppellerant
    Forumite
    That's why I am phoning tomorrow - or rather, will try to. Most small businesses will be closed until the 3rd of January because of Christmas holidays.
  • Well according to the person I spoke to (will withhold his name) after they rang me back, everything has gone through I I go live on 25.1.18.

Was a very helpful chap and very happy with their prices.

In contract with my gas until June, so will see how the next five months go.
  • poppellerant
    Forumite
    Well according to the person I spoke to (will withhold his name) after they rang me back, everything has gone through I I go live on 25.1.18.

Was a very helpful chap and very happy with their prices.

In contract with my gas until June, so will see how the next five months go.
    Oh they were open today, you just had to leave your name and number? That's unusual, I'd expect somebody to pick the phone up and answer it at the very least.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Looking at Companies House, Utilty Point no longer exists. It changed its name to BoltLand Energy in early December 2017.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10544785
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure