Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    IUnfortunately my tummy didn't quite deal with the high gluten well,

Bog roll is a good price in Lidl at the moment ;)
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I gave Aldi's very strong flour a go - it's supposed to hold more air bubbles. I normally get really good results from their strong flour anyway. I got the same results as regards a rise and air bubbles.
    The texture was definitely closer and less crumbly though, and I could cut slices easily for the toaster, so that was a big plus.
    Unfortunately my tummy didn't quite deal with the high gluten well, although it may have been something else, I suspect the bread. I did eat a lot though, so it's my own greedy fault..
    Anyway, if you make your own bread look out for the aqua coloured bags of flour alongside the normal light green striped bags. It's 75p - great value.
    Follow the Aldi recipe on both bags too - it's a good one and the olive oil makes a big difference.

Sounds interesting. My Aldi doesn't have this (yet?) but I'll watch out for it. Their standard strong flour is 11.7% protein - is this much stronger than that in % protein terms?
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I gave Aldi's very strong flour a go - it's supposed to hold more air bubbles. I normally get really good results from their strong flour anyway. I got the same results as regards a rise and air bubbles.
    The texture was definitely closer and less crumbly though, and I could cut slices easily for the toaster, so that was a big plus.
    Unfortunately my tummy didn't quite deal with the high gluten well, although it may have been something else, I suspect the bread. I did eat a lot though, so it's my own greedy fault..
    Anyway, if you make your own bread look out for the aqua coloured bags of flour alongside the normal light green striped bags. It's 75p - great value.
    Follow the Aldi recipe on both bags too - it's a good one and the olive oil makes a big difference.

Potentially even better, my local Aldi last week had a range of flours from Matthews Cotswold Flours that included French T55 and a speciality Italian flour. I'm planning to try the T55 this week.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Aldi's SS lamb Rogan Josh is fab and only 1 syn on Slimming World

maman wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll take a look tomorrow. I might be lucky.:)

I bought the last pack in Aldi's yesterday and it was delicious. Hopefully they'll have some next week so I can freeze a few.:)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. My Aldi doesn't have this (yet?) but I'll watch out for it. Their standard strong flour is 11.7% protein - is this much stronger than that in % protein terms?

Actually, according to the bag, it isn't - the stated protein percentage is 11%. Having said that, the protein percentage on Aldi's ordinary plain flour is 9.4% so we are not looking at vast statistical differences here.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Look out for the cleansing lotion in the toiletry aisle. Looks, smells and feels like Simple cleansing lotion to me. They do a toner too.
  • Crisps87
    Crisps87 Posts: 15 Forumite
    My Aldi had 1.8kg packs of fresh chicken breasts for £9.99 - there's 9 big breasts in there so just over £1 a breast - a decent deal so I grabbed the last pack!

Does anyone find if they go shopping on different days the availability at Aldi nosedives? When I went today (Sunday) the fruit and veg department was very spartan.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Crisps87 wrote: »
    Does anyone find if they go shopping on different days the availability at Aldi nosedives? When I went today (Sunday) the fruit and veg department was very spartan.

I went once on a Sunday afternoon (usually go on Friday) and it was manic. People were queuing down the aisles even though every checkout was staffed. It was even worse than Christmas.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The last few weeks ive been going on Fridays at tea time.... its bliss! No more than a couple of trolleys before us at the checkout.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Crisps87 wrote: »
    My Aldi had 1.8kg packs of fresh chicken breasts for £9.99 - there's 9 big breasts in there so just over £1 a breast - a decent deal so I grabbed the last pack!

I wish it was easier to predict! I tend to go on a Tuesday as Sundays are insane and on Mondays they haven't re-stocked fully (don't even think about Friday, either!).

Last Tuesday, though. my local(ish) branch was low on all kinds of stock. No salted butter, very few chickens, lots of gaps all round the store.

Aldi needs to get its logistics better organised to cope with the increased amount of business it's doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure