Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CN123
    Harringtons Advisory???
    • 29th Jun 14, 2:00 PM
    Harringtons Advisory??? 29th Jun 14 at 2:00 PM
    Hi, I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI. I have no idea what loan/credit card this may relate to so it's not something I can claim back myself as I wouldn't know where to start.

So, at the moment I don't think I'm owed anything so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

They have advised that all I have to do is sign the forms and return and they will do all the rest...I've heard of people using companies like this and then being then told that the lenders want you to go in to a branch and sign papers etc and it's a nightmare. Is it worth getting involved? Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Advice gratefully received!
    Thanks!
Page 3
  • Legal Ombudsman
    Looking for a bit of advice. My sister has Alzheimer's disease and I have power of attorney for her (continuing and welfare). Some time ago, unknown to me my sister agreed to have papers sent to her by Harringtons Advisory, although, thankfully, because of her condition, she never returned the papers to them. She is receiving repeated telephone calls from this firm asking her to return the forms. I have answered three of these calls and in each case informed the caller of her condition, of the fact that I am dealing with her affairs and asking them to ensure that they do not call her in the future. On the last of these contacts (yesterday afternoon) the caller (male) was aggressive, bullying and rude and would not accept our request that no more calls be made to us on the subject. I intend to write to Harringtons Advisory to complain about this treatment, but wondered if anyone could give me any pointers as to how the letter should be phrased to have maximum effect. Many thanks
    Originally posted by Susannah92
    If you need any help or guidance on writing a complaint then feel free to give us a call and we can talk you through the steps - tel: 0300 555 0333
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 19th Oct 15, 3:48 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    About April time I had letters from Barclaycard,capital one and studio catalogue,saying that harringtons advisory do not have the right authority to act on my behalf,so they have written to me directly.
    Originally posted by michwalk

If Harringtons were unable to obtain the authority from the banks to act on your behalf then they were incapable of providing you with a claims management service you contracted them to perform and as such they have no right to charge you in my view.
    • charliefox
    • By charliefox 22nd Oct 15, 2:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    charliefox
    get out?
    Interesting reading the above.
    My wife has been going through this with Harringtons. After months of no progress and confusing telephone conversations between both her bank and HA, she aaked to stop the process.
    She was told she would have to pay for work done totalling 4 hours. Great.. pay it and never hear from them again. Sadly, they charge £500 per hour....
    That can't be right can it...? £2000 fees to get out..?
    Thanks!
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 22nd Oct 15, 3:35 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    My wife has been going through this with Harringtons. After months of no progress and confusing telephone conversations between both her bank and HA, she aaked to stop the process.
    She was told she would have to pay for work done totalling 4 hours. Great.. pay it and never hear from them again. Sadly, they charge £500 per hour....
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by charliefox

Looking at their terms & conditions they state:

''If you cancel after the Cooling Off Period, you must pay our reasonable charges for the work we have done. These will be calculated at the actual cost to us.''

£500 clearly isn't reasonable. Make a formal complaint and it you're still not happy go to the Legal Ombudsman.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Oct 15, 5:21 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,999 Thanks
    dunstonh
    £500 clearly isn't reasonable. Make a formal complaint and it you're still not happy go to the Legal Ombudsman.
    Unlike the financial ombudsman, the Legal Ombudsman does not currently do fair or reasonable. Although that is something that may be coming apparently.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 22nd Oct 15, 5:27 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    Unlike the financial ombudsman, the Legal Ombudsman does not currently do fair or reasonable.
    Originally posted by dunstonh

Yes they do.
    • Pheik
    • By Pheik 22nd Oct 15, 8:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pheik
    Hi, I'm interest to know whether you have received any payment from the company. Thank you.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Oct 15, 11:33 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,999 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Yes they do.
    Originally posted by Alpine Star
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69203073&postcount=23
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 23rd Oct 15, 3:38 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    Unlike the financial ombudsman, the Legal Ombudsman does not currently do fair or reasonable. Although that is something that may be coming apparently.

''An ombudsman will determine a complaint by reference to what is, in his/her opinion, fair and reasonable in all the circumstances of the case.''

http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/downloads/documents/publications/Scheme-Rules.pdf
  • Legal Ombudsman
    I have made a complaint,waiting for them to reply.and phoned the claims management regulator and ombudsman. But I don't hold out much hope of getting any help with this,as it sounded like they were on their side.
    Originally posted by michwalk
    If Harringtons were unable to obtain the authority from the banks to act on your behalf then they were incapable of providing you with a claims management service you contracted them to perform and as such they have no right to charge you in my view.
    Hello Michwalk,

We’re sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service you have received from your claims management company (CMC). We understand from your post that you have complained to the company concerned and we hope they are able to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction.

If the company are unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction within eight weeks, then you can refer your complaint to us. You will find more information about how we can help in the Helping the Public section of our website.

With regards to the contact you have already had with us in relation to this matter, we are sorry we have given you the impression that we’re on the side of the company. We can assure you that we look at complaints impartially; we do not take sides.

We want to understand more about your experience of our service and we would like the opportunity to explain more about our role and to resolve any concerns you have about our impartiality. We have let one of our senior investigators know about your post and they would be happy to speak with you. Maybe you can telephone us on 0300 555 0333 or email your contact details to cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk and we’ll call you back.

We can also see that Alpine Star has responded to your post with his view on whether your CMC have any right to charge you. The point Alpine Star has raised is certainly relevant and something we would consider, should you raise your complaint with us. We will however need to look at all the circumstances of your case before making a decision.
    Last edited by Legal Ombudsman; 26-10-2015 at 1:49 PM.
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Legal Ombudsman
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by charliefox
    Hi Charliefox,

You’re not alone, approximately 40% of the complaints we received in our first six months were about fees. If you think the fees you’re being charged are unreasonable, the first step is to complain to the company concerned. You may find our template letter useful.

If the company don’t resolve your complaint to your satisfaction within eight weeks, then you can ask us to look at your complaint. You can find out more about what we do by visiting the claims management company complaints section of our website.

We will look at whether cancellation charges are fair and reasonable and this will include consideration of whether the charges reflect the work the CMC has undertaken. On the face of it, £500 is not a reasonable hourly charge, but we would have to consider all of the circumstances before making a decision.

Finally, you might want to take a look at one of our case studies, where we helped resolve a complaint about the level of cancellation fees.

We hope the company can resolve your complaint, but you know where we are if you need us.
  • Legal Ombudsman
    Hi Dunstonh,

It seems like your recent posts (22 and 23 October) are related to your post of 21 September, which we responded to on 22 September.

Your original post concerned whether we look at the fairness of the level of fees. We responded to this explaining that the government are going to consult on the fees claims management companies charge and that we look forward to contributing to that consultation.

We decide complaints on the basis of what is fair and reasonable in all the circumstances of the case. When dealing with complaints about fees, we will look at whether the fee information was sufficiently clear for the customer to make an informed decision on whether to use the company’s services. There can however be other factors to consider, such as whether the company provided the service they said they would provide for the agreed fee.

We have to decide each complaint on its own merits, but please be under no doubt; we decide complaints on the basis of what is fair and reasonable in all the circumstances.
    • Rupert the barely solvent
    • By Rupert the barely solvent 26th Feb 16, 11:26 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rupert the barely solvent
    Asif Akbar is British
    Have just been checking Harringtons, their company filings and directorships as they contacted me last night. Will not be using their services. Just writing to confirm that Mr Akbar is British according to Companies House. Not a Brit I'd trust though.

Errandum - Ibrar - not Asif Akbar
    Last edited by Rupert the barely solvent; 26-02-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: wrong name
    • stephenhj
    • By stephenhj 2nd Mar 16, 6:45 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    stephenhj
    Just for information. We got a phone call (not answered but no recording left) from (apparently) a local number on the same exchange area as ourselves. Which means in SOUTH ENGLAND.

When I unwisely rang back to ask what this was about, the woman answering said it was about PPI (how did you guess?) and they were Harringtons in GREATER MANCHESTER.

So how come that our BT 1471 facility had listed their call as coming from our local area? "Just our computer does.... blah blah blah..." replied Ms Shark. Be warned: what appears to be a local number calling you, possibly a half-known neighbour, may in fact be a total fake. Perhaps everybody knows that already? I confess I didn't, and perhaps I'm not alone
    Last edited by stephenhj; 02-03-2016 at 6:51 PM. Reason: mis-spellings, and for clarity
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 4th Mar 16, 2:34 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    Harringtons Advisory are now under investigation by MOJ.
    https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/29496
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 4th Mar 16, 5:01 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Harringtons Advisory are now under investigation by MOJ.
    https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/29496
    CMCs now divide into those that are operating normally. those under investigation and those that a kaput.

I suspect the first group is the smallest.
    • Mannymoo5
    • By Mannymoo5 14th Mar 16, 3:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mannymoo5
    Oh no!
    I have - inadvertently signed up with Harrington's!
    After a little digging though the companies house search - the company just reeks of scam!
    Can the Minister for Justice shut them down???
    I hope they do before Harrington's try to send me a large bill I cannot pay!
    I have read that they try to get the fees from you before you receive anything back from the banks - I was told that any fees they charged would be deducted from the claim!!
    Very worried as I have also heard they charge £500 per hour cancellation charge - at an average of 4 hours!

Someone please tell me they will be shut down!!!
    • Mannymoo5
    • By Mannymoo5 15th Mar 16, 7:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mannymoo5
    Completely agree - Close Harringtons Down!
    I also did some digging of my own... they told me they had been working with the banks for years sorting out PPI - yet I find that they have only been trading since 2012. Their companies house BETA site gives a very interesting read! I have also been coaxed into the pension review "Sister Company" ordeal! the whole thing has been a nightmare unfortunately I think the Minister for Justice is only looking into the persistent cold calling aspect of the business - rather than the appalling scam they are running!
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 15th Mar 16, 8:14 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Michwalk I suggest you now refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. If further calls are received , ask for the caller's name and inform them that this is the case and that you will be adding this call to the list of complaints.
    • michwalk
    • By michwalk 28th Mar 16, 9:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michwalk
    Harringtons Advisory ltd
    Yes Thank you, I have already forwarded my complaints to the Legal Ombudsman and Claims Management Regulator. I have also sent another complaint to Harringtons Advisory ,although I doubt they will answer again. I shall also send a query to the fca to see if they are allowed to give pension advice. Just so fed up with this company now, want an end to it. Hope that all their companies are looked into and not just the cold calls. They shouldn't be allowed to run business like this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,646Posts Today

8,937Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin