Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CN123
    Harringtons Advisory???
    • 29th Jun 14, 2:00 PM
    Harringtons Advisory??? 29th Jun 14 at 2:00 PM
    Hi, I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI. I have no idea what loan/credit card this may relate to so it's not something I can claim back myself as I wouldn't know where to start.

So, at the moment I don't think I'm owed anything so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

They have advised that all I have to do is sign the forms and return and they will do all the rest...I've heard of people using companies like this and then being then told that the lenders want you to go in to a branch and sign papers etc and it's a nightmare. Is it worth getting involved? Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Advice gratefully received!
    Thanks!
Page 2
  • Gorndalft
    This company has requested proof of id from me to send to a bank to prove they are acting on my behalf( I presume) is this likely or a scam to get personal data to sell on?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 2nd Mar 15, 9:38 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,826 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    This company has requested proof of id from me to send to a bank to prove they are acting on my behalf( I presume) is this likely or a scam to get personal data to sell on?
    Originally posted by Gorndalft
    If you have a PPI complaint do it yourself, they may not be scamming per se but probably want to put in complaints for you which they will charge you for - do it yourself for free
  • Legal Ombudsman
    The Legal Ombudsman are now dealing with complaints against claims management companies, it is always worth contacting us to see if we can help. We can advise if your complaint would be considered within our time limits. legalombudsman.org.uk
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 2nd Mar 15, 10:53 AM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    The Legal Ombudsman are now dealing with complaints against claims management companies, it is always worth contacting us to see if we can help. We can advise if your complaint would be considered within our time limits. legalombudsman.org.uk
    Originally posted by Legal Ombudsman
    It would be worth contacting you but I find that the e-mail addresses listed on your website just bounce.
  • Legal Ombudsman
    It would be worth contacting you but I find that the e-mail addresses listed on your website just bounce.
    Originally posted by magpiecottage
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble contacting us, we are not aware of any issues with our emails. Could I ask you to contact our helpline and then we can arrange sending you a test email and hopefully resolve the problem - 0300 555 0333.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • basialo
    PPI claim - Harrington ADvisory
    I have also been silly enough to sign up with this company back in August 2014.
    Nothing has come out of it so far, only every frustrating phone call I had (initiated by me), they otherwise wouldn't call, was a different story.
    Every time I hear something else, firstly that only 39% will be charge, then after few phone calls after I signed suddenly there was 20% vat on top. they said 8-12 weeks to receive outcome, that time passed, then they said to me there is another stage for another 8-12 weeks. I was not aware of that either.
    I have asked them to stop acting on my behalf, as clearly they can't get anything, but they said I will pay 250 per claim to cancel (also not mentioned on their T&C's, but I have been told, that this is their charge. Can they charge me that if it doesn't mention even on their terms and conditions? I don't want to deal with them, I rather if the bank keeps the money then to deal with them and pay their fees. Anyway nothing is happening and I don't want to be signed up for life with someone who clearly didn't manage what they promised, plus has been hiding information since the beginning. I have even asked for the call recording to proof that I haven't been told certain info and of course, I'm being ignored. My boyfriend has signed up as well and they didn't even bother to talk to him since (maybe 1x in the beginning, when they wanted more details) . Is there anything at all I can do? Thank you B.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 10th Mar 15, 6:50 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    You can complain if you consider it was not properly explained to you at outset or you consider their service in any other way unsatisfactory.

If you do not like the response from them you can ask the Legal Ombudsman to look at it free of charge.
  • Shorty15
    1st post so please be gentle
    I received a call from Harrington advisory but missed it and as it was a local number that showed local dialling code I called back and it started.
    If I asked a question that was a yes or no answer I got a long winded reply
    Instead when I asked was she offering financial advice she just repeated her last statement in the end I was asking so many questions where did they get my number who was I they must know as they rang me they kept saying I was on their list so I asked for my details she then said I don't think there is any need to Continue this call and hung up
    Lol
    At no time did I shout swear or confirm any details so I guess in my eyes I won
    Why does moj not stop these people they have no place in society if a politician wants my vote go after these people shut them down
    I have read the posts here and feel so sorry for those people that have been taken in by them
    • Biker lady
    • By Biker lady 23rd Mar 15, 11:55 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Biker lady
    I stupidly let harringtons send me paperwork as they are insisting I haven't been paid out all I'm due due to me doing it myself previously ( not sure if any truth in that) and now they are calling all the time to chase it up. Told them I was pretty sure I'd got all I was due and don't want to proceed. They were very insistent. Could I have recieved less than I should have? Was from the RBS personal loans.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 23rd Mar 15, 1:55 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,826 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I stupidly let harringtons send me paperwork as they are insisting I haven't been paid out all I'm due due to me doing it myself previously ( not sure if any truth in that) and now they are calling all the time to chase it up. Told them I was pretty sure I'd got all I was due and don't want to proceed. They were very insistent. Could I have recieved less than I should have? Was from the RBS personal loans.
    Originally posted by Biker lady
    The process to pay out on refunds is fixed, unless they didn't have statements which you subsequently found then no, you would not have got less than you were entitled to (and if you were, the bank will write to you directly) - unless you have evidence they short changed you then that's it. All they are doing is fishing for your authority and they'll then try and put in complaints to everyone and his wife to try and get some more cuts - the firms are getting increasingly desperate as the PPI refunds start to dry up
    • Biker lady
    • By Biker lady 23rd Mar 15, 7:33 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Biker lady
    I think this is what they were referring to -If Barclays, Lloyds or RBS/NatWest have offered you payment protection insurance (PPI) redress on a loan since 2012, you may be owed 100s more. couldnt copy link from mse page. sorry
    • rabbar
    • By rabbar 15th Jul 15, 11:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rabbar
    Every time I hear something else, firstly that only 39% will be charge, then after few phone calls after I signed suddenly there was 20% vat on top. they said 8-12 weeks to receive outcome, that time passed, then they said to me there is another stage for another 8-12 weeks. I was not aware of that either.
    I have asked them to stop acting on my behalf, as clearly they can't get anything, but they said I will pay 250 per claim to cancel (also not mentioned on their T&C's, but I have been told, that this is their charge. Can they charge me that if it doesn't mention even on their terms and conditions?
    Originally posted by basialo
    Can you post or pm a copy of the t&c's you have were given by Harrington's please.
    • FinancialFred
    • By FinancialFred 1st Aug 15, 2:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FinancialFred
    Ibrar Akbar
    The Director/Owner of Harringtons Advisory is Ibrar Akbar he's only 28 and drives a brand new Ferrari i know somebody who used to work for him that left as they couldn't stand making a foreigner even richer whist they struggled.

Has his fingers in many pies by the looks of things being the director of seven companies according to online company/director search. Not sure how he's making any money at Harringtons Advisory though if clients claims are not being handled properly and it's taking so long to deal with them,although i guess that once clients are signed up they are stuck with them no matter how long it takes to deal with their claims and with 39% +VAT fees and also cancellation fees Mr Akbar can afford to wait.
    Last edited by FinancialFred; 01-08-2015 at 2:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
  • xxnatt24xx
    always no update from banks??
    Hi everyone, I have a little issue I need an advise on please from anyone in the same situation. I have been silly enough to sign up with the company above. They promised 8 weeks turn around for my PPI refund and to cut the story short, their communication is pretty much non existent. I just called them, placed a complaint, as it has crossed 2 months now and they claiming that the banks didn't respond yet. Other companies have 2 - 3 weeks turn around, so I said that it is not my business and it is their job to provide the services they promised. however I asked to stop the claim and waiting for a response from manager now. I just wanted to know whether someone is in the same situation or may have some advice for me? After the call with them, I also sent everything on email to have it "on record" and forwarded the email also to Financial ombudsman with a complaint...
    Any advise would be much appreciated..
    Thank you
    B.
    Originally posted by basialo
    Hi, I have been waiting 4 months up to now, everytime i phone up they tell me no update from bank, still waiting. If i don't phone they never call me and if I email they NEVER reply. I was wondering if you got sorted out with harringtons advisory as i noticed yours was october 2014.
    Thanks
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 5th Aug 15, 11:38 AM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    Or some database they have illegally got hold of.
    Originally posted by magpiecottage

More like the above post and the cold callers do not keep 20% either and are paid a basic wage together with commissions from any new clients signed up.
  • xxnatt24xx
    any news?
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if you have heard anything from Harringtons Advisery by now? The reason i am asking is because i put a claim in early april and still heard nothing. I have emailed and emailed and only get the update " not heard anything" when i call them. I do know people that had a good turnaround with this company but i have also been told by someone who works their (off the record) that they are stopping dealing with some banks as they are not getting responses back. I have just sent another email asking this question but not holding out for a honest answer, if any! I will feel better if I know people on here have had a positive outcome. When i do speak to an advisor at Harringtons i get told there is more claims than mine waiting.
    Thanks
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 5th Aug 15, 5:36 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    If you are not happy with the service you are receiving you can put in a complaint.

If you hare not happy with the response to the complaint you can go to the Legal Ombudsman.
  • Susannah92
    Looking for a bit of advice. My sister has Alzheimer's disease and I have power of attorney for her (continuing and welfare). Some time ago, unknown to me my sister agreed to have papers sent to her by Harringtons Advisory, although, thankfully, because of her condition, she never returned the papers to them. She is receiving repeated telephone calls from this firm asking her to return the forms. I have answered three of these calls and in each case informed the caller of her condition, of the fact that I am dealing with her affairs and asking them to ensure that they do not call her in the future. On the last of these contacts (yesterday afternoon) the caller (male) was aggressive, bullying and rude and would not accept our request that no more calls be made to us on the subject. I intend to write to Harringtons Advisory to complain about this treatment, but wondered if anyone could give me any pointers as to how the letter should be phrased to have maximum effect. Many thanks
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Aug 15, 9:21 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,999 Thanks
    dunstonh
    She is receiving repeated telephone calls from this firm asking her to return the forms. I have answered three of these calls and in each case informed the caller of her condition, of the fact that I am dealing with her affairs and asking them to ensure that they do not call her in the future.
    Report them to the legal ombudsman and also send a message to the daily mail.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 13th Aug 15, 12:46 AM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Make a formal complaint of harassment to info@harringtonsadvisory.co.uk

Demand they pay compensation and undertake to cease any further communication.

They have 8 weeks from the date of your complaint to respond.

If the response is not satisfactory, then go to the Legal Ombudsman.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,218Posts Today

6,601Users online

Martin's Twitter