PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Arranging the survey

I wanted to arrange a homebuyer report survey so called the EA to ask about their availability and they told me, the surveyor would need to call and arrange this with them directly. Is this normal practice?

Comments

• babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If I've had a survey the surveyor has always discussed with the agent who in turn arranges with their client ..quite normal procedure
  • maryeta
    maryeta Posts: 17 Forumite
    Yes, my EA gave me a number to call for both, the lender (mortgage valuation) and my independent surveyor (full building survey) so they called that number and got it booked that way.

I hope it helps,
    Mar!a
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, you instruct your surveyor to proceed and then they work with the agent to gain access at a mutually convenient time. It's just easier for everyone that way.
  • Meehash
    Meehash Posts: 24 Forumite
    Thank you, I'll arrange it this way then.

By the way, can a valuation be added to the full structural survey? It would be good to get the whole image of the house.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Meehash wrote: »
    Thank you, I'll arrange it this way then.

By the way, can a valuation be added to the full structural survey? It would be good to get the whole image of the house.
    Discuss your requirements with the surveyor.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wanted to arrange a homebuyer report survey so called the EA to ask about their availability and they told me, the surveyor would need to call and arrange this with them directly. Is this normal practice?
    Of course. The surveyor doesn't work for the EA. He's an independent professional who they work alongside, and put work his way.

I'd not use the EA's mate, though - remember, the EA are on the vendor's side, not yours.
    It'd be an odd survey that didn't include a valuation.
  • Meehash
    Meehash Posts: 24 Forumite
    I'm a bit confused now as I thought the building surveys didn't include valuation, just the homebuyer reports.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm a bit confused now as I thought the building surveys didn't include valuation, just the homebuyer reports.
    ?????
    I repeat:
    Discuss your requirements with the surveyor.
    You are a customer asking and paying a professional for a service. You tell him what service you want. He tells you whether he can/will provide it and at what cost.

Now the 'building survey' (eg as specified by RICS) may be a convenient way for the surveyor to use a standard report at a standard price (and cheaper online-sold surveys may only offer this) but a half-decent surveyor will tailor his report specifically to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure