IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Cpms

Options
I received a Parking Charge Notice from Car Park Management Services on the 8th April to pay a fine of £100 and reason was because no permit was displayed. I was parked in a private car park in Manchester (City Heights North Tower), I know I shouldn’t have but because someone had taken my space I parked in another vacant spot.

After reading posts on here I followed the advice and ignored it.

Yesterday I received another letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd and this fine has now increased to £160.

Am I supposed to pay this now? As I’ve read in other posts to ignore this letter too.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You can safely ignore debt collector letters but you do need to engage with the parking company by at least appealing in an endeavour to get a POPLA code and, if it should go to court, show that you made an effort to have the ticket cancelled. Advice contained in the NEWBIE thread, one click back, third post down.
  • Sf31
    Sf31 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. But do you think it will end up going to court and me paying more money? And do I just appeal to the CPMS?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not follow the guidance offered by Le_Kirk?

The NEWBIES thread will tell you exactly how to appeal.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams so complain to your MP.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sf31 wrote: »
    I
    After reading posts on here I followed the advice and ignored it.

Yesterday I received another letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd and this fine has now increased to £160.

The advice here has not been to ignore since 2012.

There is no "fine"

The charge is not £160, the £60 is a fee the scamming debt recovery muppets want you to pay them for the pleasure of sending you some silly fake threats.

Now follow Le Kirks advice and don't let the scammers intimidate you.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Where did you see the advice to ignore it?
  • Sf31
    Options
    I’m new to this could you please tell me how I can get to that newbies thread. And thank you so much for all the help
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Go back to that screen where you found the New Thread button earlier.

Look down the list of threads - you are looking for a thread entitled:

**NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

It is one of the first four threads listed.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Sf31 wrote: »
    I’m new to this could you please tell me how I can get to that newbies thread. And thank you so much for all the help
    Posted by Le_Kirk at 1.43 pm: -
    Advice contained in the NEWBIE thread, one click back, third post down.
    Thanks to KeithP for also providing you the route map.
  • Sf31
    Options
    I’ve now received another letter from the debt recovery plus LTD after ignoring the first letter as it was too late to appeal.

It just says- Notice of intended court action- unpaid parking charge £160.00

It’s just given me an option to pay

What am I supposed to do now? And sorry if the question sounds silly, I just really don’t know what I’m supposed to do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure