Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daj199
    • By daj199 5th May 19, 4:47 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    daj199
    Two successful PPI reclaims for deceased father
    • 5th May 19, 4:47 PM
    Two successful PPI reclaims for deceased father 5th May 19 at 4:47 PM
    Hi,

With thanks for advice I've received on this forum, I've made two successful PPI reclaims for my deceased father (I'm his executor). Thought I'd provide some info which may help others.

In this situation, I asked members on this forum if I should use a PPI reclaim company - I got a resounding no as the answer. After having made the reclaims, I'd agree with this as it was relatively straightforward to make these claims myself.

I made PPI reclaim applications to 4 banks that I knew my father had credit cards / loans with. With each bank, my first step was to ring the bank to ask what information I would need to provide in order to make a reclaim request for my deceased father. It was well worth doing this, as some banks differed in their approaches (some banks required photocopies of the grant of probate and death certificate, some banks needed original documents). I also found out the postal addresses / email addresses where I had to send this information to.

I have included a template of my letter to the banks at the bottom of this post, in case this is of use to anyone else (with personal details removed and described within [] brackets).

Having seen my father's statements for two of the banks, I wasn't sure if there was any PPI on these accounts. After sending a letter to both banks, it turned out that there wasn't any PPI on his accounts with these banks.

Egg loan
    I could see from statements that my late father had PPI on his old Egg loan (from early 2000's). I sent one letter to Citibank (who were dealing with Egg PPI reclaims), then got several letters back from Citibank and eventually a cheque through the post.

Tesco Credit card
    On my father's Tesco credit card statements (from around 1999 to 2011), there was a charge each month for 'Cardholder Protection Plan'. These amounts varied each month according to how much was spent on the card. From research on this forum, this seemed to be PPI and was worth doing a reclaim for. I sent one letter to Tesco Bank and eventually received a phone call from them. They asked me for any information on my father I could provide at the time he took out this credit card (early 1999):
    1) employee benefits he received as part of his employment at the time (such as sickness leave)
    2) savings or investments that my father had.
    I was able to provide information I had found in his papers, which seemed to help my application (supporting that he didn't actually need this cardholder protection). Then I provided this information over the phone to Tesco Bank and eventually received the PPI compensation. If I hadn't been able to find this information, I don't know whether or not the reclaim request would have been successful (probably still would have been?).

Happy to answer any questions about what I did. As mentioned earlier, here is a template of the letter I used to the 4 banks, changing the information as required for each bank.

My template letter:
    [my address]

[bank address]

[todayís date]

To whom it may concern,

Re: PPI refund request
    [my fatherís full name]
    [his date of birth], [his date of death].
    [his address at time of death]:

I write in connection with [bank name] credit card accounts that my late father [full name] held, with the following account numbers: [account numbers, if known]

I believe my father may have been mis-sold PPI in connection with these accounts. Please can you check this for these two accounts and also for any other credit cards, accounts and loans that he may have previously held with you. Please then provide me any compensation due for PPI mis-selling.

I am sole executor for my late fatherís estate and I attach a photocopy of the death certificate and grant of probate. [I had moved house since probate was granted so I provided details of my new address]

I have provided my fatherís relevant personal details near the top of this letter. Please can you also carry out these PPI checks against my fatherís previous addresses: [his previous addresses]

Kind regards
    [my full name], sole executor
    [my phone number]
Page 1
    • eaglel
    • By eaglel 19th May 19, 7:20 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eaglel
    • 19th May 19, 7:20 AM
    • 19th May 19, 7:20 AM
    Thank you for this very helpful as I couldn’t find any templates for this online. My mum dies 2012 and had quite a few cards and loans which I am going to have a look into. Did you have to provide the reason you thought it was misssold?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 19th May 19, 7:26 AM
    • 23,867 Posts
    • 26,570 Thanks
    zx81
    • 19th May 19, 7:26 AM
    • 19th May 19, 7:26 AM
    Yes. You"re making a complaint that they mis sold it, so you'll put why you believe that.
    Last edited by zx81; 19-05-2019 at 7:28 AM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 19th May 19, 9:42 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,050 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 19th May 19, 9:42 AM
    • 19th May 19, 9:42 AM
    A complaint without a complaint reason has a lower chance of success than one that does have a complaint reason. Without a complaint reason, you are reliant on the bank finding a wrongdoing/fault or getting lucky with an auto payout.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • daj199
    • By daj199 19th May 19, 6:19 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    daj199
    • 19th May 19, 6:19 PM
    • 19th May 19, 6:19 PM
    Hi - with Egg, I wasn't asked for anything about why I thought it may have been mis-sold.
    Tesco did ask me for the info about employee benefits my dad received as part of his employment at the time (such as sickness leave), and savings or investments that my father had - at the time he took out the policy (1999). I was able to provide some evidence over the phone.which supported that he didn't the policy.
    Given that it was 20 years ago they were asking about, I still think they would have paid out if I hadn't been able to provide anything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

5,824Users online

Martin's Twitter