Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 23rd Mar 19, 8:11 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 26Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    Council Tax band challenge timeline
    • 23rd Mar 19, 8:11 PM
    Council Tax band challenge timeline 23rd Mar 19 at 8:11 PM
    How long does it really take to get an outcome from VOA for the council tax band challenge?

Also if unfortunately the neighbours band go up (rather than mine going down), how will the neighbours know that I initiated the review?
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 24th Mar 19, 1:13 PM
    • 11,945 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 24th Mar 19, 1:13 PM
    • 24th Mar 19, 1:13 PM
    The time for a VOA response should be on their website. The VOA do not reveal who initiated a review. But if a formal appeal had been made which caused band increases in neighbouring dwellings, that appeal is in the public domain and can be viewed so may give neighbours a clue as to who may caused their band increase.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 24th Mar 19, 1:27 PM
    • 9,307 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 24th Mar 19, 1:27 PM
    • 24th Mar 19, 1:27 PM
    Good luck with your challenge
    I tried 3 or 4 years ago - my property was valued at 49,500 in 1992, paid 74k in 2000 (nationwide valuation) - which puts it in a band B - Yet it is still a band C - I challenged the decision of the VOA - But they just came back with "Sorry - your valuation is inaccurate, ours is correct" and since I have already been through the procedure - I can take it no further !!!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 24th Mar 19, 5:37 PM
    • 11,945 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 24th Mar 19, 5:37 PM
    • 24th Mar 19, 5:37 PM
    Good luck with your challenge
    I tried 3 or 4 years ago - my property was valued at 49,500 in 1992, paid 74k in 2000 (nationwide valuation) - which puts it in a band B - Yet it is still a band C
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    In most areas 1992 house prices were about 10% lower than 1991 prices, so Band B probably is correct. If you meant 1991, then NW house price indices are inaccurate, tending to undervalue, so again Band B probably correct.
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 24-03-2019 at 5:39 PM.
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 13th May 19, 7:46 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    • 13th May 19, 7:46 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:46 PM
    How long does it really take to get an outcome from VOA for the council tax band challenge?
    I asked a few colleagues who have successfully challenged and they told me it takes 6-7 weeks to get decision on formal challenge. I am not sure what is a formal challenge and informal challenge.

Is this a formal challenge?
    - doing neighbour check
    - doing valuation check
    - calling VOA
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th May 19, 1:14 PM
    • 11,945 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 14th May 19, 1:14 PM
    • 14th May 19, 1:14 PM
    A "formal challenge" probably means a valid appeal i.e. an appeal made within the 6 month time limit.
    • Overseer
    • By Overseer 18th May 19, 5:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Overseer
    • 18th May 19, 5:32 PM
    Council tax banding appeal.
    • 18th May 19, 5:32 PM
    A former Tory housing minister stated that all councils should consider every appeal, including post 6 month owners, therefore. I appealed to Lanarkshire VJB as I am on band F, but similar properties in other nearby developments are on band E. The Assessor stated that the valuation included, location, amenities, character of the property as well as dimensions.
    Ironically, the appeal could be referred to the Valuation Appeal Committee but the hearing would be restricted to deciding if the appeal has been lodged within the time limits allowed by the legislation, and not deal with matters relating to disputed banding at that stage. ???
    I want to find the details recorded by the assessor at the time of the valuation. That might be available via Freedom of Information Act..
    Can anyone give advice?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 19th May 19, 2:19 PM
    • 11,945 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 19th May 19, 2:19 PM
    • 19th May 19, 2:19 PM
    A former Tory housing minister stated that all councils should consider every appeal, including post 6 month owners, therefore. I appealed to Lanarkshire VJB as I am on band F, but similar properties in other nearby developments are on band E. The Assessor stated that the valuation included, location, amenities, character of the property as well as dimensions.
    Ironically, the appeal could be referred to the Valuation Appeal Committee but the hearing would be restricted to deciding if the appeal has been lodged within the time limits allowed by the legislation, and not deal with matters relating to disputed banding at that stage. ???
    I want to find the details recorded by the assessor at the time of the valuation. That might be available via Freedom of Information Act..
    Can anyone give advice?
    Originally posted by Overseer
    You will probably get little more than type, size, age, no. of rooms as that is all the Assessor probably has on your home. It is possible this info may be provided by the Assessor without invoking FOI
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,338Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin