Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chris-TT
    • By Chris-TT 18th May 19, 6:17 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Chris-TT
    Always refused PPI, but Gladstone Brooke’s says I have had it.
    • 18th May 19, 6:17 AM
    Always refused PPI, but Gladstone Brooke’s says I have had it. 18th May 19 at 6:17 AM
    I thought I’d check just on the off chance. I always refused PPI, I could see it was a rip off from the first time it was offered to me. However I thought it was worth double checking before the deadline. I contacted Gladstone Brooke's, and they came back saying that they have found accounts with PPI on them. At the time I was on holiday, and I asked them to not to contact me until my return. I kid you not they called me another 15+ times while I was away usually several times a day, so I told them I was no longer interested. They still contacted me, so I've now put on a GDPR complaint against them (they've still contacted me a further five times).

All of my accounts are over six years old and and have fallen off my credit file, ideally out of principle I'd now like to pursue this myself, however I don't have any of the account details. Gladstone Brookes were able to find them, so any idea how I would go about finding them myself?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 19, 6:35 AM
    • 22,527 Posts
    • 24,748 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th May 19, 6:35 AM
    • 18th May 19, 6:35 AM
    They haven't found anything. They're just signing you up to the suckers list.

If you feel you had PPI, write to the lender concerned. But it seems clear you didn't.
    • Chris-TT
    • By Chris-TT 18th May 19, 6:43 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chris-TT
    • 18th May 19, 6:43 AM
    • 18th May 19, 6:43 AM
    They have said they’ve found at least one. I went through the process of telling them who I’ve had loans and credit cards with and signing a form for them to look into it. I’m fairly sure on one of the calls they said it was ether a Barclaycard or Barclays overdraft. What do I say to them though? I have none of the account details anymore and no proof that I ever held accounts with them, surely it’s not in there interest to reveal anything as over six years have past?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 19, 6:49 AM
    • 22,527 Posts
    • 24,748 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th May 19, 6:49 AM
    • 18th May 19, 6:49 AM
    You ask them if you had PPI. If you did, you submit your complaint.

It doesn't matter if it's in their interest or not. It's not as if they have a choice.
    • robber2
    • By robber2 18th May 19, 7:10 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    robber2
    • 18th May 19, 7:10 AM
    • 18th May 19, 7:10 AM
    They have said they’ve found at least one....................
    Originally posted by Chris-TT

Well they would wont they.
    • Chris-TT
    • By Chris-TT 18th May 19, 7:14 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chris-TT
    • 18th May 19, 7:14 AM
    • 18th May 19, 7:14 AM
    Sure. However I can’t see why it would be in there interest to lie, I already signed up to there ‘no obligation’ service. They must have found something to trigger them to keep calling and even writing to say they had found PPI on at least one of the accounts.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 22,527 Posts
    • 24,748 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 18th May 19, 7:51 AM
    See post 2. PPI is almost over. They need to build the suckers list for the next bandwagon.

They don't care if you had PPI or not. The call staff just need to keep their jobs and they can only do that by signing people up.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,826 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 18th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 18th May 19, 9:18 AM
    Sure. However I can’t see why it would be in there interest to lie, I already signed up to there ‘no obligation’ service. They must have found something to trigger them to keep calling and even writing to say they had found PPI on at least one of the accounts.
    Originally posted by Chris-TT

If you gave them a proper Letter of Authority then they are able to speak to the banks on your behalf so they may well have found a policy that you weren't aware of (something you could have done yourself just by asking the bank). The question now will be whether you can get out of this contract or if they will charge you for wasting their time by not proceeding - read the terms and conditions about whether you can complain yourself directly.
    • Chris-TT
    • By Chris-TT 18th May 19, 9:55 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chris-TT
    • 18th May 19, 9:55 AM
    • 18th May 19, 9:55 AM
    It was a contract but was a no obligation deal, it’s the only reason I went with it. They sold it in such a way that I could use them, or pursue it myself. I wrongly presumed they’d give me the details... however all they’ve done is tell me that I did have PPI and then harassed me with phone calls and letters to try and get me to get them to pursue it through them, which I guess given the circumstances should have been expected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,182Posts Today

8,069Users online

Martin's Twitter