Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Willow1930
    • By Willow1930 14th May 19, 9:06 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Willow1930
    Claiming PPI for deceased wife
    • 14th May 19, 9:06 PM
    Claiming PPI for deceased wife 14th May 19 at 9:06 PM
    I need some advice about how I can go about seeing if my wife would have been due PPi compensation. She passed away over 10 years ago and I no longer have any account information for her sole accounts. She was not in debt when she died and I am the main beneficiary of her estate so as I understand it if anything could be reclaimed then it would be due to me. Although I don't know if she ever paid PPI, I do know that she was susceptible to paying for similar insurance type products. I really don't know where to start and despite the potential costs I think that using a reclaim company maybe the difference between doing this and not. Any advice on a straightforward approach to doing it myself or a recommendation for a reputable claim company would be great. I have checked some reviews and the well reviewed companies I have found so far don't do deceased claims!!
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,995 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 14th May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 14th May 19, 9:16 PM
    so as I understand it if anything could be reclaimed then it would be due to me.
    Not quite. You say you were the main beneficiary. That suggests there are other beneficiaries but to a lesser extent. If the complaint is successful, the redress forms part of the estate and should be distributed in accordance of the Will, if there is one.

I really don't know where to start and despite the potential costs I think that using a reclaim company maybe the difference between doing this and not.
    Your wife's insurance details are not in the public domain and a claims company has no access to any records to find it. They will be reliant on what you tell them.

I have checked some reviews and the well reviewed companies I have found so far don't do deceased claims!!
    Its amazing how cheap it is to buy good reviews. CMCs are pretty much parasites. You really have to question where those reviews come from. Although it people are missold PPI, then its pretty easy to fall for claims companies too.

What debts did your wife have?
    if credit card/store card, did she borrow on the cards or repay them in full each month? (if repaid in full, then no PPI would be payable).
    If loans, who did she bank with? Most people use their own bank for loans.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Willow1930
    • By Willow1930 14th May 19, 9:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Willow1930
    • 14th May 19, 9:57 PM
    • 14th May 19, 9:57 PM
    She had no debt. The other beneficiaries, children and two friends only benefited from specific bequests with everything else coming to me.
    • Willow1930
    • By Willow1930 14th May 19, 10:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Willow1930
    • 14th May 19, 10:00 PM
    • 14th May 19, 10:00 PM
    There were definitely periods where she did not repay credit cards in full each month while she was alive and she also did borrow money from at least one high street lender but I cannot remember who from or who the cards were with. As I say when she died she was debt free though so once again I have no information.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th May 19, 10:16 PM
    • 23,813 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th May 19, 10:16 PM
    • 14th May 19, 10:16 PM
    Your main problem is that, a decade on from her death, there may well be no longer any record of your wife's financial dealings. If that is the case, neither you nor any claim company will be able to make a complaint without full and copious evidence of her accounts (and any PPI) from your own archive.

You don't appear to have this?
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 15th May 19, 5:51 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Bermonia
    • 15th May 19, 5:51 AM
    • 15th May 19, 5:51 AM
    Please do not use a claims company they are plain awful and you will still do all the work.

Contact anyone you think she may have had borrowing and submit an enquiry as to if she held PPI with them (you will need to supply them a copy of the grant of probate to evidence you are able to deal with the estate - if you were not the executor then they would need to do this on the estates behalf).

As already stated given passage of time there may be very little records left... expect nothing and you won’t be disappointed.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th May 19, 8:05 AM
    • 10,174 Posts
    • 13,727 Thanks
    -taff
    • 15th May 19, 8:05 AM
    • 15th May 19, 8:05 AM
    A claims company will expect you to tell them who your wife had PPI with, so there's not much oint using them.

If you can remember any of the companies she had credit with, phone them, tell them you want to make a complaint, ask them what proof they need from you to prove you can complain on her behalf.
    • Willow1930
    • By Willow1930 18th May 19, 9:51 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Willow1930
    • 18th May 19, 9:51 AM
    • 18th May 19, 9:51 AM
    You are correct I have nothing. I think I will leave things be. Thanks to one and all for your advice and comments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,892Posts Today

9,136Users online

Martin's Twitter