Scotland to charge 20p deposits on bottles and cans - MSE News

Options
13»

Comments

• mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But they have very little incentive to do so. Why create extra work for themselves when they profit from not doing so.

Any retailer selling affected containers, including online retailers, must accept returns.

I can't imagine they would attempt to get round it by demanding you return your home-delivered bottles to the store - especially given they have a van parked right outside your house. Even if they weren't legally obliged to, the poor public image of not doing so would be enough to persuade them.

But I suppose some people are determined to see the problems and not the benefits, making them up if they can't find any real ones...
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2019 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Like everything else the Scottish government does its a vanity project, implement it, take the credit and walk away before it crumbles.

Here we recycle, it goes in the recycling bins, the council benefits.

Now the councils will be denied unless people pay the 20p per item and still put it in the recycle bin?

Its like the minimum pricing in alcohol, it does not work. but the supermarkets profits go up because they get the extra money.

Many scots now buy from the land of the free, here its Berwick on tweed just over the border.LOl

https://iea.org.uk/publications/a-load-of-rubbish-introducing-a-deposit-return-scheme-to-the-uk/
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Hasbeen
    Options
    From Germany our EU leaders.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/30/has-germany-hit-the-jackpot-of-recycling-the-jurys-still-out

“If Britain copies the German system, I expect it will prove a great success in the fight against littering,” says Benjamin Bongardt of Germany’s Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union.
    “But it will entrench a system that isn’t very environmentally friendly in the first place. A tax on drinks packaging would have proved a lot more effective.”
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Works well in Denmark.
    In Copenhagen the litter bins have a shelf around them. If you don't want to return it you leave it on the shelf so a 'person in need' can collect it and receive the deposit money. This saves the needy people from having to rummage through a dirty bin. There seems to be an unwritten rule that only people in need collect from the shelf.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Hasbeen
    edited 10 May 2019 at 1:11PM
    Options
    Works well in Denmark.
    In Copenhagen the litter bins have a shelf around them. If you don't want to return it you leave it on the shelf so a 'person in need' can collect it and receive the deposit money. This saves the needy people from having to rummage through a dirty bin. There seems to be an unwritten rule that only people in need collect from the shelf.

As in link above germany has similar in that needy people although mostly not actually german do similar?.:)
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FredaJones wrote: »
    In fact it might make me cross enough to simply chuck my bottles in the landfill bin rather than the recycling one, given I am to be charged 20p regardless.

How childish.
  • The_Green_Hornet
    Options
    mad_rich wrote: »
    Any retailer selling affected containers, including online retailers, must accept returns.

I can't imagine they would attempt to get round it by demanding you return your home-delivered bottles to the store - especially given they have a van parked right outside your house. Even if they weren't legally obliged to, the poor public image of not doing so would be enough to persuade them.

But I suppose some people are determined to see the problems and not the benefits, making them up if they can't find any real ones...

If we really are serious about plastic waste in the environment then the whole debate should be focussed on eradicating its usage and not just simply increasing the recycling of it, but then I suppose some people are more concerned about virtue signalling than actually making a difference.
  • mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If we really are serious about plastic waste in the environment then the whole debate should be focussed on eradicating its usage and not just simply increasing the recycling of it, but then I suppose some people are more concerned about virtue signalling than actually making a difference.

Absolutely agree. Reduce, reusethen recycle. We seem to forget about the first two steps.

Not sure who you think is signalling which virtue, but whatever.
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any movement on a date being set yet?

Could have had over £2 in refunds with the variety in bottles left after a single football match at the park yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure