Quote for new internal door installation

Can someone just advise me is this quote seems fair as it seems a little high

Howdens fire dordogne door - To fit door liner,supply and fit door with all door furniture .also door stops and paint = £750

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its a good days work to fit a liner and fire door. I'm assuming it needs intumescent strips. Plus the door stop will need to be 25mm x 25mm, glued and screwed. You will then have to allow a days money for a decorator (although) it wont take a day.

So it isn't that far off the mark, but may be a bit over. I would say £650, bu depends on his day rates etc.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • john.h
    john.h Posts: 349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It depends where you are in the country. Materials inc door around £200. Half a days work to fit door, couple of hours to paint the lining. I wouldn’t pay more than £400.
  • phill99
    john.h wrote: »
    It depends where you are in the country. Materials inc door around £200. Half a days work to fit door, couple of hours to paint the lining. I wouldn’t pay more than £400.

You're missing t6he point.

The guy wants a liner put in as well. That and a door is easily a days work. Fire door have to have intumescent strips. They also have to be re-lipped in hardwood if the top / bottom lipping is removed to make the door fit.

Its all very well saying 'a couple of hours to paint it' but in reality, a decorator is going to want a days money. I sub contract decorators in and have to pay a days money even if they are finished by 12.

So in reality, the £650 is about right.
  • john.h
    I’m not missing the point, I have fitted hundreds of doors and linings. It’s not a days work. It takes around 10 minutes to router a intumescent in.
    You shouldn’t be trimming the door at all if you are fitting a new lining.
  • phill99
    john.h wrote: »
    I’m not missing the point, I have fitted hundreds of doors and linings. It’s not a days work. It takes around 10 minutes to router a intumescent in.
    You shouldn’t be trimming the door at all if you are fitting a new lining.

But you are making an assumption that the hole the liner is going in is perfectly square and correctly sized. If this is an old building, then its unlikely to be square. Plus bringing an old liner out can easily damage wall finishes and plaster so will need to be made good.

As a contractor I would allow a day for a chippy and a days money for a decorator.
  • john.h
    I want to come and work for you :):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business