Student loan write off question for old mortgage style loans

Hi, I've got 2 sets of student loans - one set was in 92/93/94 and they are fixed mortgage style loans. The next set are income continent student loans starting in 2003. I've deferred the mortgage style loans since taking them out as I've remained under repayment threshold, until this year. So I'm just about to start repaying them - but I wasnt too fussed as thought they'd be written off in 2020 anyway as the last loan would be overdue by 25 years then. However thesis servicing just told me as I later took more student loans out in 2003 the 25 year write off won't apply to the original loans as it's 25 years from your last ever student loan. Anyone know if this is correct?

Comments

• Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I guess your second set of loans are administered by SLC? I'd contact them and ask, it doesn't sound right.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Agrees with what is said here

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2015/10/erudio-customer-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-paying-off-your-loan/

Are not behind on any repayments under any agreement for a student loan and were under the age of 40 when your last agreement for a student loan was made and you reach the age of 50, or when the last agreement for a student loan has been outstanding for no less than 25 years, whichever is the sooner.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sheramber wrote: »
    Agrees with what is said here

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2015/10/erudio-customer-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-paying-off-your-loan/

Are not behind on any repayments under any agreement for a student loan and were under the age of 40 when your last agreement for a student loan was made and you reach the age of 50, or when the last agreement for a student loan has been outstanding for no less than 25 years, whichever is the sooner.

"Student loan" means 2 different things in relation to if it was taken out under the Education (Student Loans) Act 1990 (i.e. mortgage-style) or the Teaching and Higher Education Act 1998 (i.e. income-contingent). The regulations governing the former only apply to the former so last student loan here is the last mortgage-style student loan taken out.
  • househell
    househell Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the comments.

Ed-1 that's interesting, do you have personal experience of this or do you know of anywhere this is fully references? They seemed quite adamant on the phone. Thx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure