Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lindylootoo
    • By lindylootoo 8th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 1Thanks
    lindylootoo
    Making Tax Digital
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    Making Tax Digital 8th Aug 18 at 11:42 AM
    I'm given to understand that MTD becomes compulsory by April 2019 - can anyone confirm that?

Isn't there a cutoff for small business? Many VAT registered companies are still too small for accounting software and many who have moved to accounting software do not want to be dictated to by software suppliers to upgrade (and increase fees) just to have software which sends VAT returns automatically? For very many years I have used my Government Gateway for this........it suits my purpose very well and I really don't want the issues to transferring to newer, fancier, bells and whistles, , software.

TIA
Page 5
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Apr 19, 7:59 AM
    • 8,010 Posts
    • 7,746 Thanks
    00ec25
    Most of the posts here refer to businesses that are VAT registered.
    The income from my BTL properties is well below the threshold.
    Will I also need to do a digital return? Perhaps not for the current tax year 2019/2020 (?)
    At present, I submit details to an accountant via a spreadsheet and he completes my return.
    If/when I am required to go digital will I still go via the accountant? Of course, this is an expense but I prefer to use the accountant.
    DTMM
    Originally posted by DontTellMyMother
    the letting of residential property is not and has never been the making of VATable supplies, it is exempt (a word which has a precise meaning in VAT law)

vat registration is based on what you sell, not what you spend.

if you prefer to use the accountant then it sounds like you need to be asking them for advice. If (ever, unlikely at present) MTD is extended to what is stated to be its final objective of making you submit all tax info digitally then yes, by that time you will need to do that way, but as things stand at the moment, anything other than VAT is years and years away from being implemented as HMRC haven't got a clue how to manage big IT projects and have messed up (again)
    Last edited by 00ec25; 13-04-2019 at 8:03 AM.
    • stuartr74
    • By stuartr74 26th Apr 19, 12:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stuartr74
    Bridging software
    Using SAGE programme for accounts, think it's called line 50 which isn't supported by SAGE anymore and is used on a PC which is not connected to the internet, works fine and has been for probably last 15 years.
    Is their any bridging software available that would meet the needs.

Pointless talking to SAGE as they just want to sell new
    Don't like to change as it works fine for our needs

Any help appreciated
    • kevin grey
    • By kevin grey 26th Apr 19, 6:43 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kevin grey
    Using SAGE programme for accounts, think it's called line 50 which isn't supported by SAGE anymore and is used on a PC which is not connected to the internet, works fine and has been for probably last 15 years.
    Is their any bridging software available that would meet the needs.

Pointless talking to SAGE as they just want to sell new
    Don't like to change as it works fine for our needs

Any help appreciated
    Originally posted by stuartr74
    Why is the computer not connected to the internet?, you will need an internet connection to make a return or end up getting an accountant or someone you trust to do it for you. There are several packages that allow you to make a return. What export facility does your account package have?

If you want to make a manual return you can use my software (you will need to have a pc with an internet connection)

Regards
    Kevin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,701Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter